• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Memories

Hi Alan,

I bet you didn't dare contradict her. I had a Victorian granny too, and I certainly didn't.

Kind regards
Dave
My Nan had a victorian granny. Don't speak until you are spoken to. Please may I leave the table (like I was taught). But she was afraid of her. She had to wear her best clothes and have her brushed. I was of afraid of my cousins' mum. I also called her grandma. She used to chase the kids.

We played "Kick the Can" on the waste ground behind the three storey flats between the street and the park (King George V Playing fields) A variation of hide and seek whereby a can was placed on the ground and the person who was "on" counted to 500 in fives whilst all the others ran and hid. Then it followed the usual format of Hide and Seek but with this proviso. Someone who hadn't been found could come out of hiding and before being discovered by the seeker KICK the Can and thereby release all those who had been found and they were free to go and hide again. If however the seeker beat the one who was attempting to free the others and he or she kicked the can first everyone was deemed to be found and a new game commenced. It was also known as Curry Curry but for what reason I don't know.
One lad at my mum's school would swing an oil can round his head with 'fire' in it. His nickname was King Kong. She saw him years later on Midlands Today giving his two pennuth. She jumped up and shouted "King Kong!"

Yes the lamppost had a crossbar just under the lamp. We had a pavement then dirt which sometimes we dug a hole and played marbles. If my memory serves me right you the first one to pot a marble in the hole them could aim at other marbles and if hit you won them.
Going back to thevents lampost any sign of swinging or a rope tied on it my Mother would be out like a flash. She took no prisoners.
Yes we sort of flicked the marlies putting out thumbs on the ground and flicking with your middle finger. It was a bit like crown green bowling I think. Some kids would says mine is a tenner. Meaning he had stolen (won) 10 other kids' marlies. Not many girls played. I don't know why. Some Kids had a pram bottom with a piece of wood on it and charged up and down the entry. Mum said I wasn't to throw stones or play with any rough kids. We played Queenio Coky O whose got the Ball ee o. Or a Stick if you didn't have a ball. I first played this with my Brummie cousins in Bewdley. Maybe it's a Brummie game?

We played "Kick the Can" on the waste ground behind the three storey flats between the street and the park (King George V Playing fields) A variation of hide and seek whereby a can was placed on the ground and the person who was "on" counted to 500 in fives whilst all the others ran and hid. Then it followed the usual format of Hide and Seek but with this proviso. Someone who hadn't been found could come out of hiding and before being discovered by the seeker KICK the Can and thereby release all those who had been found and they were free to go and hide again. If however the seeker beat the one who was attempting to free the others and he or she kicked the can first everyone was deemed to be found and a new game commenced. It was also known as Curry Curry but for what reason I don't know.
We played lots of singing games like Tisher Ma Tosher Mateazer. There came a duke a ridin, a ridin a ridin, There came a duke a ridin, tisher ma tosher ma Teazer,. The Duke picked a lady etc. Nan also played it calling it Tittle ma tittle ma Too.Her in and Out The Bonny Bluebells was In and Out the Darkened Windows.
They taught us that at school. In about 1967 they painted a hopscotch court in the playground and it became a craze, not just for girls. We had a Hopscotch league and a table tennis league played on desks pushed together with books for bats. Then they put a climing frame in long and sturdy. It became the death run. Tough kids opted to run trough it and kids on the outside, boys would thump kick and grab at them. We also played Stag. Rough games were discouraged in the playground yet encouraged in the gym with scrumball. No rules!
Some kids boys and girls had fights and were goaded by other kids to fight as was I. I hated fighting. I think I was top wimp goaded in to fighting this efeminate lad because he was spiteful (to me). Horrible.

A childhood memory I have is the first time I ever used a telephone. It was at Beeches Road Infants School in the 1940s in the office of Miss Pogson the formidible head mistress. She would have a class into her office where we were taught how to use the big black rotary dial telephone on her desk. We were shown how to dial her sister living in Four Oaks and then we had to do it ourselves. Anyone not dialing correctly received a sharp rap on the knuckles from her stick which was her favourite form of punishment.

A childhood memory I have is the first time I ever used a telephone. It was at Beeches Road Infants School in the 1940s in the office of Miss Pogson the formidible head mistress. She would have a class into her office where we were taught how to use the big black rotary dial telephone on her desk. We were shown how to dial her sister living in Four Oaks and then we had to do it ourselves. Anyone not dialing correctly received a sharp rap on the knuckles from her stick which was her favourite form of punishment.
We actually had a big black telephone, placed high up. as it was in the house when we moved in. But I was not allowed to touch it. Not like now. The grandchildren calling up strangers, and being on Facebook which is supposed to be illegal. It has gone the other way.
In the end after constant hankering from me I was taught how to answer the phone properly with different scenarios. And how to call someone in an emergency.

Many modern phones are more fashion than use. Remember that Trimline phone, that with just a very slight pull on the cable it fell of what ever surface it was on, usually onto the floor, often disconnecting the call. Fashion accessory more that a useful phone.
Many portable type phones *(radio) are fine - if you can actually seen the keypad, in poor light or darkness. Many mobile phones are equally hard going. I find the low priced mobile - that doesn't sing or dance - the better ones. ;)
Children were discouraged as far as I recall from using or answering the telephone. Usually the operator or 999 type of calls were the only ones permitted. But then in the times most of us speak of any form of telephone was purely for business or occasional use, people were not wedded to their ''phones.
* radio scanners can often listen in to 'phones that use radio frequencies.

My cousin has a collection of antique telephones. Remember or maybe not when the cord was made of cord? She has one of those and the handset was tiny. And you wound it up. At work I had a headset which got tangled up in my 2 pairs of specs.!

I remember when we got a trimline phone people would ask what it was, and some just asked to look at it

So when my folks bought the grocery store it had a phone we had a phone in the house we moved from

When we moved into the store the GPO came and took out the phone, well this did not go well with my pop so down town he went and had a meeting with the head guy.

Long story short the man said sorry Mr Ensor we will come and install a phone then pointed to a line of phones and said " pick the one you want " so pop goes I will have the one on the end.

The GPO guy says that's the new trimline we are not offering those yet, so a few days later we got a trimline phone

When I was a Lorry driver in the 80s used to pull loads of these Black Telephones out of the Bakerlite factory on the Wolverhampton Road and distribute them around the country.

As recorded here, probably more than once, phones were an attraction - when in phone boxes. It seems it was always worth trying button 'B' for loose change. :laughing:
I liked the feel of pressing the button as it sort of resisited a bit. I hate pressing doorbells and you cant feel any pressure giving the impression it has no rang somewhere.

I have just watched an old film on television, "The Thief of Baghdad" and I was immediately transported back to a cold, wet Sunday afternoon in the 1950s, sat in front of a blazing coal fire after Sunday dinner and watching this for the first time on a small black and white telly. I remember being enthralled by the Flying Horse, terrified when the Genie was released from the bottle and best of all the Flying Carpet wishing I could have one. Wonderful, winter Sundays........................

So here I am getting excited Christmas is just days away already busy in mum's shop people ordering 3 or 4 loafs of bread and buying food for the Christmas week.
Will ride tomorrow with pop and pick up the fresh turkeys from a friend at the Co-Op in Alum Rock a long drive from Rednal but we will get 30 or so birds
Will make a quick stop in town and buy a couple of nice big crabs for over the holiday.
My mom's shop has all kinds of Christmas stock mince pies and yule time logs and such
Went with pop in the week to the cash and carry to buy extra stock for Christmas week also purchased a box of walnut whips for mom as a treat, her favorite this time of the year.
Don't know when it happened but pop went and picked up 2 or 3 bags of mishaped chocolate from Cadbury's but someone could have got them for him after all a lot of folks we know work there
The one shop window has a Christmas display of treats I had fun spraying fake snow over everything but I hope we do not sell it all..
Tomorrow we will put up the tree and decorations in the living room you know the kind that gets pinned in the ceiling and strung out to the opposite corners.
Pop will run round on Monday dropping of bottles of scotch I will have to make some groceriey delivery's to our regular customers.
Mom will be working very late as we will be getting fresh bread delivered well into the night still warm smelling good.
Christmas Eve in the shop will be nuts all the staff and more will be working, I will be trying to make the bacon slicer take off along with stocking shelves bringing peoples bread order up front after the the name check and order confirmation, so many people walk in and ask for bread the most scarce thing on Christmas eve, mom always has extra but has sold ours before now.
By the time we close my poor mom will be wiped out.
Ahhh Christmas morning hope it snowed run down the stairs make sure Santa stopped by getting to old for Santa ( Ha Ha ), take a ride to Erdington to the Lyndhurst Estate with pop to pick up my Grandparents who will spend the next few days with us
While we are gone mom will get that bird in the oven and by the time we get back it will smell like Christmas.
Of course Christmas would not be the same untill all the adults take a nap after dinner, and my pop and Grandfather play cards while waiting on the crab.
I'm sure Mom will be happy for next few days the store is closed, but we still get people knocking on the shop door forgot to buy butter or something.
If it snows we will go up Rose Hill at the top of the Lickey Hills sledging just some Christmas childhood memories.
Wait till I recall what we had for Christmas dinner.

I so liked it when the Salvation Army played on the street corner on the lead up to Christmas singing carols and they trudged through the snow and knocked at the doors with their wooden collection boxes on a horizontal piece of wood.
The school nativity or play, the Christmas class party. The Carol service at the local church. Vary occasionally mum came if should could get off work. She sang a beautiful contralto (choking up here) and I could here her from the choir stalls, from the back of the church where the handful of mothers sat. Never any fathers. Nan always went.
Trying to go to sleep as Santa would't come. So pleased opening my pillowcase of toys and toffees.Glitter which didn't go all over you. I loved giving my parents their gifts and taking them to my grandparents on Christmas morning. We took it in turns to spend Christmas dinner with them and Great Grandma across the road and them with us for tea and vice versa. Nan's pewter sweet dish came out for the Quality Street. And the cake stand. Great Grandma had made the Christmas pudding, we all made a wish as we all had a stir of it. Her sister, my Auntie, from Cheltenham would be fetched from the bus station. I would go along in Grandad's car, a treat and sit at the front!. Not many people had cars then. My Granny would be fetched on alternate Christmas Days and Boxings days to either be with us or my uncle. She did prefer us as she loathed my Auntie and vice versa, and we had a downstairs loo! I had made paper chains with mum, paper lanterns and crackers to put on the wall. Grandad always bought us a real tree, not a huge one. The Pifco lights lasted for years. Mum would be tired from baking and glueing and wrapping because she had a full time job. She did the tree and that went up the last Sunday before Christmas. If Christmas dinner was at our house, mum would invite one of her friends who lived alone to share it with us. I liked it when her friend Sheff (knickname) came as she played the piano. We eventually had a capon. That put an end to Nan's cock(erel) jokes. One point to mum. Granny was not very mobile, she lost several fingers in a factory accident but she liked to help and sat with her legs open showing her passion killers and garters (as Nan would retort, "ooh er's common") Granny peeling the sprouts (and Nan being the other mother in law.) But I liked Granny as I loved all my family. She was funny. (Choking here again).
Sherry trifle for tea and Christmas Cake Grandad made. He was a lorry driver by day. He usually made four cakes and iced them which he distributed. He saved some icing for me to squeeze in to shapes, and he stuck tiny iced flowers, and silver balls on the pink and white cake.
The sherry would come out. The tot glasses. The Advo Cat as Nan called it. The cocktail biscuits in a balsa wood box. The glacé cherries. Dad smoked a cigar. I got a tot glass if Aunty wasn't looking. The Queen's speech. We kept our paper hats on all day. Watched TV. Auntie hoiked dad out of the best seat. We played games. As an only child everybody gave me the contents of their crackers. The False noses, spectacles, and Hercule Poirot type moustaches which always made my eyes run. Did it you?
And the street was quiet for a day. ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading Nico's post made me remember and think about a childhood christmas so long ago ... and then the forum search shows I had 'remembered' it six years ago on the forum ... :rolleyes:
In my last post I mentioned the 'frontroom', we seemed to only use it on special occasions, one of these being Christmas.
Sometime in December Mom would say lets put the trimmings up. They were kept in an old cardboard shoe box, they were like concertinas and we had fun pinning them from the corners of the room to the light in the centre. Then the old Christmas tree would be put up and we would tie on the few glass baubles we had and fix real miniature candles on the ends of the branches. On Christmas evening Dad would light the candles and turn the light out, it was magical as they flickered. Only the radio in those days and we all played ludo and snakes and ladders while some chestnuts went bang as they roasted on the open fire ....

Reading Nico's post made me remember and think about a childhood christmas so long ago ... and then the forum search shows I had 'remembered' it six years ago on the forum ... :rolleyes:

Yes I remember the old faithful trimmings used to come out and holly magically appeared from nowhere to decorate the room
(think it was from a garden up the road)???? dad always found some somewhere!
The there is the old christmas tree we had when we were young , it was ancient with almost toilet brush like branches..green of course haha and the candle clip on the end, for real candles. One year they caused a fire and we finally bought a new one! Yippeee. Happy days we didnt have much but always had a great family christmas.

I so liked it when the Salvation Army played on the street corner on the lead up to Christmas singing carols and they trudged through the snow and knocked at the doors with their wooden collection boxes on a horizontal piece of wood.
The school nativity or play, the Christmas class party. The Carol service at the local church. Vary occasionally mum came if should could get off work. She sang a beautiful contralto (choking up here) and I could here her from the choir stalls, from the back of the church where the handful of mothers sat. Never any fathers. Nan always went.
Trying to go to sleep as Santa would't come. So pleased opening my pillowcase of toys and toffees.Glitter which didn't go all over you. I loved giving my parents their gifts and taking them to my grandparents on Christmas morning. We took it in turns to spend Christmas dinner with them and Great Grandma across the road and them with us for tea and vice versa. Nan's pewter sweet dish came out for the Quality Street. And the cake stand. Great Grandma had made the Christmas pudding, we all made a wish as we all had a stir of it. Her sister, my Auntie, from Cheltenham would be fetched from the bus station. I would go along in Grandad's car, a treat and sit at the front!. Not many people had cars then. My Granny would be fetched on alternate Christmas Days and Boxings days to either be with us or my uncle. She did prefer us as she loathed my Auntie and vice versa, and we had a downstairs loo! I had made paper chains with mum, paper lanterns and crackers to put on the wall. Grandad always bought us a real tree, not a huge one. The Pifco lights lasted for years. Mum would be tired from baking and glueing and wrapping because she had a full time job. She did the tree and that went up the last Sunday before Christmas. If Christmas dinner was at our house, mum would invite one of her friends who lived alone to share it with us. I liked it when her friend Sheff (knickname) came as she played the piano. We eventually had a capon. That put an end to Nan's cock(erel) jokes. One point to mum. Granny was not very mobile, she lost several fingers in a factory accident but she liked to help and sat with her legs open showing her passion killers and garters (as Nan would retort, "ooh er's common") Granny peeling the sprouts (and Nan being the other mother in law.) But I liked Granny as I loved all my family. She was funny. (Choking here again).
Sherry trifle for tea and Christmas Cake Grandad made. He was a lorry driver by day. He usually made four cakes and iced them which he distributed. He saved some icing for me to squeeze in to shapes, and he stuck tiny iced flowers, and silver balls on the pink and white cake.
The sherry would come out. The tot glasses. The Advo Cat as Nan called it. The cocktail biscuits in a balsa wood box. The glacé cherries. Dad smoked a cigar. I got a tot glass if Aunty wasn't looking. The Queen's speech. We kept our paper hats on all day. Watched TV. Auntie hoiked dad out of the best seat. We played games. As an only child everybody gave me the contents of their crackers. The False noses, spectacles, and Hercule Poirot type moustaches which always made my eyes run. Did it you?
And the street was quiet for a day. ....

That was great reading but gosh it sounds like a christmas at my house when I was a kid!! The preparations were just as exciting as the day! Pillow cases full of toys and toffees, iced christmas cake with marzipan too... yummy, sherry trifle and advocat , even as kids dad made us a very weak snowball all fluffed up with a glace cherry on a stick in a cocktail glass. Seems like a lot of the old traditions have fallen by the wayside., but you never forget christmas as a kid.

Back