• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Memories

Nico

master brummie
I take mine to France, my hovis and my Irish soda bread. I have a white flour allergy I must have always had it. Explains a lot now!

Nico

master brummie
Nico. Didn't know there were Vegans around in those days :laughing: :laughing:
My dad never ate meat till he met mum. His mum told him he didn't like it. They were very poor. He never ate a sausage till he came to us for a barbecue. He never ate eggs or bacon. Or fresh fruit. Lived till he was 83.

mw0njm.

brummie dude
I take mine to France, my hovis and my Irish soda bread. I have a white flour allergy I must have always had it. Explains a lot now!
Irish soda bread,not had that since i left Ireland. cant get it here. i am a celiac

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
I try to avoid white bread too, and generally have Ryvita in its place. I'm intolerant of cow's milk and haven't had that for over 30 years. I can tolerate small amounts of cheese made from cow's milk, but much prefer feta made from pure sheep's milk. Most of the commercial stuff available pre-packaged is 50/50 sheep and goats. However, my son-in-law's father is a sheep farmer living a few miles away, so a lot of feta comes my way for free! :) As far as meat goes, I only eat chicken - not for any dietary or philosophical reason, but just because I don't like the other stuff.

Maurice :cool:

Radiorails

master brummie
Wholemeal bread is what we usually have, however, white 'Tiger' bread makes excellent toast. ;) We have quite a lot of cows milk, what a bargain four pints for just over £1 most places, compared with beer which seems to be four times as much for the equivalent quantity.

Nico

master brummie
Irish soda bread,not had that since i left Ireland. cant get it here. i am a celiac
I get it in Sainsburys. Rankin Soda bread. They sell soda farls too but they are white and dry. I am not a celiac. But I can't eat white flour rice or pasta, chocolate, cheese which is the only thing I miss, saccharine and crackers of any sort.
I love cheese, goats' sheeps' and cows' milk cheese. Dad called me the mouse. The Free from stuff doesn't suit me ether it's like chaff or rubber. Strangley, and luckily I can eat brown soda, and Hovis, brown rice and brown pasta.

Nico

master brummie
I try to avoid white bread too, and generally have Ryvita in its place. I'm intolerant of cow's milk and haven't had that for over 30 years. I can tolerate small amounts of cheese made from cow's milk, but much prefer feta made from pure sheep's milk. Most of the commercial stuff available pre-packaged is 50/50 sheep and goats. However, my son-in-law's father is a sheep farmer living a few miles away, so a lot of feta comes my way for free! :) As far as meat goes, I only eat chicken - not for any dietary or philosophical reason, but just because I don't like the other stuff.

I might try feta. Or Mozzarella! Thank you Maurice.

Nico

master brummie
Has I've probably said before I grew up loving Pigs tail stew.Ive got them for my tea tonight.YUM
What does that taste like? Coddle? I like that. Had it in Dublin and corned beef, the tail end whatever that means, gigot chops, colcannon and potato cakes. Takes me back. I heard of pigs legs, as well as trotters, being very cheap. And ray in batter.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Edifi,

I don't like goats cheese - it is far too sweet. Feta made from sheeps milk only has a nice bite to it

Edifi

master brummie
Nico,it's only pork.If you cut them up into 1 inch pieces ,boil them for about an hour or so.then do your Veg add your soup and tails and continue to boil till you think it's OK.Lovely

Robert Ensor (bob)

master brummie
I miss bread the good gear I grew up eating, Mother's Pride, Hawley's a tin loaf something you could make a real sarnie out of with out it falling apart

The bread we get here if you make a bacon and egg sarnie with HP falls apart you have to use both hands to hold it almost cradling it.

What was the bread called that was round that had a smaller round on top, it also came in a small version and I recall them being on a plough man's .

Have to ask what was the best thing before sliced bread ?.

Last edited:

mw0njm.

brummie dude
I miss bread the good gear I grew up eating, Mother's Pride, Hawley's a tin loaf something you could make a real sarnie out of with out it falling apart
The bread we get here if you make a bacon and egg sarnie with HP falls apart you have to use both hands to hold it almost cradling it.
What was the bread called that was round that had a smaller round on top, it also came in a small version and I recall them being on a plough man's .
Have to ask what was the best thing before sliced bread ?
.1578561427803.png

I noticed that its either putty like or as you say falls apart. i can only eat toasted bread.

Last edited: