• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chicheley Street

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
I have searched but there is no reference on this excellent site for the street where my lovely nanny Bolton lived - so I am going to mention it CHICHELEY STREET.

It ran between Vauxhall Road and St James Street/great brook street - can anyone remember it?

Chicheley Street was demololished in the late 50's-early 60's.

Keith,

I lived in the area a good part of my life on and off, and I have to be honest I had to look it up on a map. I must have walked down this street many times, and sadly I have to admit I cannot recall anything about it.

Phil

Vauxhall-1.jpg

I have fond memories of Chicheley Street - going to the shop for my nan to get two Woodbine, seeing the milk cart-horses under the arches. I even have a scar on my top lip from falling off a wall near to the Tower Pub (I think that was the name) by Barrack Street.

I have searched but there is no reference on this excellent site for the street where my lovely nanny Bolton lived - so I am going to mention it CHICHELEY STREET.

It ran between Vauxhall Road and St James Street/great brook street - can anyone remember it?

Chicheley Street was demololished in the late 50's-early 60's.
Mayfield , I to have been looking for Chicheley st . I was born there in 1945 in Sherington Place . All my cousins and Grandmother and Aunts and Uncle lived there at the same time .We left there when the houses were due to be demolished .I really would like a photo of the street, if any one has one .

I have fond memories of Chicheley Street - going to the shop for my nan to get two Woodbine, seeing the milk cart-horses under the arches. I even have a scar on my top lip from falling off a wall near to the Tower Pub (I think that was the name) by Barrack Street.
The pub was the White Tower. Len.

I went to school with a girl who lived in Chicheley Street around 1956/7 ish, I seem to remember her name was Jane Kindred, or something very similar. I think she came from what I believed to have been a large family. I also delivered papers around that area to a lot of the factories and also couple of houses in Chicheley street. I always thought it had a strange name and reminded me of 'Chicory' that bottled coffee essence and those sticks of wood we sucked on . No offence to anyone who lived or had family living there , It was just the strange thoughts I had while walking around with my bag of Newspapers.

Chris/ Pom :angel:

Pom
You made me wonder what was the source of the name. Googling seems to give 3 choices (other than just copying a similarly named street in london). These are (1) an archbishop of canterbury (spelt chichele but pronounced chicheley) who was present at the battle of agincourt; (2) A politician in the 17th century or (3) Chicheley village and Chicheley Hall in buckinghamshire. The hall is said to have a canal as does Brum, but i suspect its a "slightly" different sort of canal.
mike

A St Annes cub mistress, Barbara Roberts, lived in Chicheley St, around 1954. I am still in touch with her in the Vale of Evesham. She had a younger sister I think. I have a Vauxhall map of 1860 but the street is not shown for some reason. This map shows a tramway going to Long Acre via Nechells Green, but not the Alum Rock/Washwood Heath service (number 8?) that I used to get at the top of Duddeston Mill Rd on Great Francis Street, perhaps a later development. It took me to Martineau St in the city for 1/2 penny!

The Corporation electric tram route that ran to Nechells Green from Martineau Street was the 7 which commenced in 1907. (1887 -1906 it was horse trams). It was superseded in 1922 by trolleybuses also numbered for the 7 route. This lasted until 1940 (more details are in the trolleybus thread). After this bus route 43 took over. The city terminus was moved to Old Square by Nwebury's (later Lewis's) when the trolleybuses started.
The horse trams seemed to have used Vauxhall Street but not the electric ones, they travelled along Gt. Lister Street.
Tram routes 8 Alum Rock, 9 which only went as far as Ward End, and 10 Washwood Heath travelled along Gt. Francis Street.

I lived in Chicheley Street from 1942 until 1953 when the houses were being demolished. My maiden name was Janet Lees, I had a sister Gloria. My dad had a coach parked outside the house Claribel Coaches

Can see the back of my great grandparent's house (Vauxhall Road) in that one.
Just a shame the resolution lets that image down Mark but considering the main image was of Lawley Street Good Station it's amazing really.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
With just a normal terrace house lucky to have that really, though for this one I have a photo that shows it from across the road.

It is also on the edge of your first photo, John. Which also shows the back of his daughter's house in the terrace behind, so fairly lucky. Thanks for posting them.

Back