• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

chewing gum machines

Yes I can remember them ,at times a nice earner for Wrigleys when dispenser was empty but still took the money then one had to convince shop keeper that one indeed had put money in. Cannot remember how much they were 2d or 3d

Got any gum chum? Anyone remember saying that? There was a Yank Army base around Filongley off the Coventry Rd near to Meriden. Use to ride my bike there and look for Yank, knives forks spoons and badges etc. Always asked the Yanks "Got any gum chum?" Wrigleys was what they gave me. Real friendly guys, loved talking to us. Happy days. John Crump OldBrit.Parker, Colorado USA

I can remember getting a chewing gum called 'Beechnut' out of the machines - hope my old memory has got the name correct because it does now seem a funny name for chewing gum. I lived near an American Army base at Pheasey and often used the 'got any gum chum' request - their chewing gum was different and highly prized by us urchins. We were very impressed by our american wartime visitors and enjoyed chatting to them.

I can remember getting a chewing gum called 'Beechnut' out of the machines - hope my old memory has got the name correct because it does now seem a funny name for chewing gum. I lived near an American Army base at Pheasey and often used the 'got any gum chum' request - their chewing gum was different and highly prized by us urchins. We were very impressed by our american wartime visitors and enjoyed chatting to them.

phil i think you are right i seem to remember that name of gum

lyn

OldMohawk: I remember where just about all of the Beechnut Chewing Gum Machines that were in Erdington back in the 1950's. The nearest one was around the corner at Bramley's Confectionery shop on Stockland Green. I was always using them. I also remember going on the train to Bournemouth in the 1940's and meeting two American soldiers standing up in the train corridor. They gave my brother and I American Chewing Gum. Very different to the ones we were used to.

Beechnut gum, that was small rectangular pieces, about 4? in a pack. You also got a free packet in every four bought from the machine!

I remember putting a thrupenny bit in a machine for gum. I didn't like gum I liked the idea of the machine. They employ a chap just to scrape up gum in the town.

My mother used to hate me chewing gum, she said it would take the enamel off your teeth. Another old chestnut was if you swallowed gum it would wrap round your innards and kill you.

"Beechnut", chewing gum machines were endemic around 1961/2, on Weoley Castle Square, and other shopping sites.

My mother used to hate me chewing gum, she said it would take the enamel off your teeth. Another old chestnut was if you swallowed gum it would wrap round your innards and kill you.
I was told that about gum too. I couldn't always get Blue Bird sweetie papers off and used to eat em paper an all and grandad said it would come out tother end wrapped up!

I vaguely remember buying packets of multi-coloured chewing gum. Same shape as Beechnut but there were several different flavourless. Can anyone remember the name of these?

mabz

I think there were three different colours of spearmint wrappers to differentiate the flavours: green, yellow, and for the standard variety, white. Are they still sold in these packs? Are they still sold, even?

The machines were somewhat different to the bubblegum ones which were free-standing with a red case perched on top of a black pole. Very wobbly as I recall as a result of us kids 50 years ago trying to shake up the contents!

They must be sold in something as I had it all over my shoe at the docks last week it was murder to get off. One are was covered in it. I hoped the birds didn't try to eat it. We used to ay dya want some chuddy?

9k=
beech nut.JPG360_219012651dd8165b17f364edc08049b1.jpg
2Q==

Back