• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chester Road Bridge Accident - Poor Image

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I realise that this is a very poor photo. It's a scan of a photocopy of a newspaper cutting. You can see what a near miss the bus (No. 28) is having but the lorry carrying the tank wasn't so lucky. The road was lowered not long afterwards causing different problems with flooding.
Such an interesting photo though.

We judge the original photograph to have been taken in the 1950's and it probably appeared in the Birmingham Mail. Bit worried about how close that little girl is standing to the bus or is it in fact stuck too? I do wish I knew more about this accident.

I'd really appreciate any repairs anyone can do to the picture or any additional information or thoughts please.

I'm also attaching a photo of flooding which happens during heavy rains as a result of the road being lowered. I've posted it before on the forum on the 'adverse weather' thread.

001.jpgFloods.jpg

Flood picture improved a bit - not sure if I can do anything with the other one. Later edit - poor attempt!

Floods.jpg
001.jpg

Last edited:
I think from this cutting from August 1958, that the incident must be that mentioned with the steel hopper earlier that year

B.Post. 29.8.1958.jpg

Thank you both.

Mike that's a really good cutting as it ties the date of the bridge to between April and August so not many issues of the Mail to go through as I first thought. Unfortunately it was a daily paper but I could do it a bit at a time.

Thanks Pedro, I was under the impression that the flooding only occurred after the road was lowered but this photograph from August 1948 shows quite deep water. It must have been lowered again after the incidents in Mike's post. This picture is from Marian Baxter's 'Sutton Coldfield, the Second Selection'. I think the picture originally came from Birmingham Library.

001.jpg

Back