• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chess matches in Birmingham

farmerdave

master brummie
On 11th January 1964 the Russian Chess Grandmaster and World Champion 1960/61, Mikhail Tal, visited Birmingham. He played a simultaneous chess match against 20 of the best players in the Birmingham area. The event was held in the concert room of the Birmingham and Midland Institute. In simultaneous chess the "expert" stands in a rectangle of tables at which the participants are seated. He has the one advantage of always playing white and then moves from board to board in a fixed order. Each participant is expected to make their move when the "expert" reaches their board. In this match, against Birmingham's strongest plays, Mikhail Tal won 16, drew 4 and lost none. I did attend this tournament but did not play. Dave.

P1010926 (2).jpg

Where is this photo from? I'd like to use it with permission.
Hello Marek. Sorry I did not pick up your request earlier. I bought a photograph for myself from the Birmingham Post (printed 13 Jan 1964) and that is the one that I have placed in post 1. The article was by B.H.Wood, who was the chess correspondent for the Birmingham Post. I'm not sure about copyright rules. It may depend on whether you want to use the photograph for private or commercial reasons. Dave

On 11th January 1964 the Russian Chess Grandmaster and World Champion 1960/61, Mikhail Tal, visited Birmingham. He played a simultaneous chess match against 20 of the best players in the Birmingham area. The event was held in the concert room of the Birmingham and Midland Institute. In simultaneous chess the "expert" stands in a rectangle of tables at which the participants are seated. He has the one advantage of always playing white and then moves from board to board in a fixed order. Each participant is expected to make their move when the "expert" reaches their board. In this match, against Birmingham's strongest plays, Mikhail Tal won 16, drew 4 and lost none. I did attend this tournament but did not play. Dave.

View attachment 93359
Hi Dave,
I'd love to hear more about this and your memories of playing chess at Camp Hill (seen on another post), please. I'm researching the school's chess history. I've only just joined this forum. Is it possible to send private messages on here? Look forward to making contact, David

Welcome to the forum. It is possible to send private messages (I will tell you howin a moment) but Farmerdave does not allow this. He would need to change his preferences on the site first.
The easiest way is to hover over a person's name next to their avatar.You get the view shown below - clickon "start conversation" and type your message. That will only be seen by you and the recipient. Replies will appear via the envelope top right of the page by your avatar (a red number wll show up).
1683822478026.png
The alternative is to go to the envelope and click on"start conversation" and enter their user name before typing a message.

Hi Dave,
I'd love to hear more about this and your memories of playing chess at Camp Hill (seen on another post), please. I'm researching the school's chess history. I've only just joined this forum. Is it possible to send private messages on here? Look forward to making contact, David
Hi Dave,
Glad to hear that you're interested in the chess history at King Edward's Camp Hill. I should point out that I left Camp Hill in 1961, some 62 years ago, so any memories would be very fuzzy. What years did you attend? You could put any general questions here and I could assess whether I'm able to make any useful contributions. Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave,
Glad to hear that you're interested in the chess history at King Edward's Camp Hill. I should point out that I left Camp Hill in 1961, some 62 years ago, so any memories would be very fuzzy. What years did you attend? You could put any general questions here and I could assess whether I'm able to make any useful contributions. Thanks, Dave.
Many thanks Dave. I arrived in 1982 and was the chess captain 1986-89. I've almost finished a first draft of the school's history and there are a few gaps I hope you might be able to help with, please.

First of all your memory of seeing Tal (8th world champion) was very interesting, because I've read another piece by a Five Ways boy going to see Botvinnik (6th world champion) giving a similar display in 1962, so it would be nice to write about them both. We in fact entertained Mark Taimanov, another Soviet grandmaster in 1989 at Camp Hill.

You might also help with the school chess captains when you were at school, as the Chronicles miss a few and sometimes I only have a surname. This is what I've pieced together: 1954/55 J I Collins; 1956/57 Heard; 1959/1962 J D Mount. So, I am missing 55/56 and 57-59. First names would help me track these down. I'm in touch with several past captains already.

Do you have any memories of Mr Brown running the chess club as its president, please? He taught me woodwork and I had no idea then that he had run the chess club from 1950-61.

I only know that the first team finished 2nd in the league in 1957 and 7th in 1961. Would you be able to fill any gaps for the other years you were at Camp Hill, please? I also don't know who won the league in 1958 or 1960. I think King Edward's won it for every other year you'd have been at the school.

You said somewhere else that you played for Howard. I know the results for every year you were at school apart from 1959/60. I only know Tudor finished last that year. Do you happen to know any of the other placings, please? Did Howard win it, for example?

Did you keep any scoresheets? The oldest game I have by a pupil I have so far is from 1965, so if you had one you could beat that!

Many thanks for any help. If you would prefer to reply by email, please let me know and I'll get that to you somehow, David

Hi David,
Just a couple of things for now and I will search for more info later. Howard House (Camp Hill) did win the championship for chess in 1961.
The order was Howard, Beaufort, Seymour, Tudor. J.D. Mount, Derek, was the Captain. I thought he left school in 1961, the same time as me. He went on to study law at university. I have absolutely no recollection of Mr. Brown running the chess clubs.

Chess Grandmaster Mikhail Tal made the following comment after his 20 match games on 11th January 1964 in which he won 16 and drew 4. "I know the strength of Birmingham chess. Despite the difficulties and limited time, I felt I had to see your famous city. It would make me very happy to visit you again ------ but I cannot believe you will be quite so kind to me next time". Dave

Many thanks Dave. I arrived in 1982 and was the chess captain 1986-89. I've almost finished a first draft of the school's history and there are a few gaps I hope you might be able to help with, please.

You might also help with the school chess captains when you were at school, as the Chronicles miss a few and sometimes I only have a surname. This is what I've pieced together: 1954/55 J I Collins; 1956/57 Heard; 1959/1962 J D Mount. So, I am missing 55/56 and 57-59. First names would help me track these down. I'm in touch with several past captains already.

Do you have any memories of Mr Brown running the chess club as its president, please? He taught me woodwork and I had no idea then that he had run the chess club from 1950-61.
Not a chess player, but "Heard56/57" was David Heard, I was in the same year (he also played the flute). I do remember Mr Brown, woodwork, there were two Mr Browns, being involved with running chess.

Last edited:
Howard House (Camp Hill) also won the house championship for chess in the 1959/60 season. Order slightly different at Howard, Seymour, Beaufort and Tudor.
There were two chess teams of six for playing against other schools. I usually played in the second team but sometimes in the first. Matches were always on a Friday early evening in the Winter and Spring terms. I played 12 matches against other schools in 1959/60. These were against West Brom Grammar, 2 matches L and D; Aston Grammar W; Holly Lodge Grammar in Smethwick W; Saltley Grammar L; Bishops Vesey Grammar D; Handsworth Tech W; George Dixon Grammar L; Central Grammar D; Five Ways Grammar W; Bournville Tech D; and Kings Norton Grammar L. So, a total of 4 wins, 4 draws, and 4 losses. Dave.

Thank you very much @farmerdave for all this information. The list of schools you played is fantastic as I want to make a map of the School's opponents over time and there are a couple of new ones I've not seen before. I'm also indebted for the house results, even if you confirmed that my house Tudor lost both years! And thank you @devonjim - I'd never have guessed there were two Mr Browns. Did either of you know a P T Lee or D J Robertson, please? They left in about 1965/66, but were very strong players from their first years. Their first names would be a massive help to my research. Thanks and regards.

Hi David. Can't help on Lee and Robertson. I must have left Camp Hill 5 years before them and I don't recall any very young players in the chess teams. Dave.

Hi David. Managed to find the 1959 Camp Hill prize giving programme. School captain for chess for 1958/9 was R Challis. House Championships for chess in 58/59 were in the order Beaufort, Howard, Tudor, Seymour. The presentation of certificates was by Alderman Eric Mole who became Lord Mayor of Birmingham in 1961. Dave

Hi David. Managed to find the 1959 Camp Hill prize giving programme. School captain for chess for 1958/9 was R Challis. House Championships for chess in 58/59 were in the order Beaufort, Howard, Tudor, Seymour. The presentation of certificates was by Alderman Eric Mole who became Lord Mayor of Birmingham in 1961. Dave
Thank you very much. He has a couple of mentions in the Chronicles but captain was never specified (he was listed as treasurer of the Music Society, though!). What a brilliant source you found. Thanks for keeping it all this time!

R. Challis also appears in the 1959 Camp Hill Prize Giving Programme as an endowed prize winner in both mathematics and science. Accept that Mr Brown (woodwork) did help to run the chess club but I just don't remember him in that role. Different subject: I'm getting an irritating pop-up advert appearing when I sign in to this thread. Is it seen by anybody else?

View attachment 93359
When I played Birmingham club chess back in the 1960s Tal was a hero of mine. He'd sacrifice pieces in seemingly harmless positions and force resignations after lengthy attacks. He was brilliant.

Back