• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cherrywood Road School Photos

I do taken at christmas 1963 the ugly duckling production. I was a swan lol
I was in the chorus of the Ugly Duckling production - that is if it was the same one. Written by Mr. Tennant? (Every little duck must learn to quack, there is nothing easier than that...........)

I was in the chorus of the Ugly Duckling production - that is if it was the same one. Written by Mr. Tennant? (Every little duck must learn to quack, there is nothing easier than that...........)
Sue I remember your name, it must be same one. Xmas 1963. I was in Miss Edgerton class . First year at the time. And because I had been at a open air school they put me in C class. Wasn't in very long went to b class 2nd year. Anyway getting back to production. I was one of the swans. I will try and find the photos and put the picture back up. I have put it on before it could have been school friends reunited. Byex

As a child I went to Bordesley Green Secondary Technical School. I failed to get into Central Grammar School but after time in tha navy I trained as a teacher and spent my first year teaching at Cherrywood Road School. I took a class of thirteen year old kids who were great but had been badly let down by the education system. The school had been Central Grammar School that my father attended as a child. I used to gret the inner Circle No8 bus each morning And often travelled with Mr Jones the deputy head of the Technical School close by, but even then daren’t approach him. Teaching was great but I was only trained as a primary school teacher but was expected to teach Art, Technical Drawing, Maths and Geography Even music! So I was a bit out of my depth not with my own class but trying to ‘;wing it’ with the older kids. After a disastrous Art Lesson with the ‘Christmas Leavers’ I was so stressed that I went to My MacGuffie the head teacher and told him that I had had enough. He sent for his Deputy, Mr Clark and between them I was persuaded to carry on. For me it was a great learning experience but I moved to a Primary School But Cherrywood Road School is still remembered with affection.

I remember Mr McGuffy and also his deputy Mr. Clark. When I first started at the school we had two Mr. Clarks and we were told that we must not refer to them as Mr Clark OLD and Mr Clark YOUNG! Can't remember what we called now.

I am trying to get information out of my husband about Cherrywood School but it's proving hard work this morning! Graham (Jennings) was at Cherrywood between 1961 and 1966 and remembers Mr McGuffy, Mr Clark, Mr Tennant the English teacher and Miss Edgerton (the last one only vaguely).

Mr McGuffy retired at 65 and the school bought him a leather armchair. Unfortunately he didn't live much longer to enjoy it after retirement.

Graham doesn't have any photos of the school but we're seeing an old friend from those days on Friday, Des Workman, and he may have some. I'll text him in a while and get back to this thread if he has.

I am trying to get information out of my husband about Cherrywood School but it's proving hard work this morning! Graham (Jennings) was at Cherrywood between 1961 and 1966 and remembers Mr McGuffy, Mr Clark, Mr Tennant the English teacher and Miss Edgerton (the last one only vaguely).

Mr McGuffy retired at 65 and the school bought him a leather armchair. Unfortunately he didn't live much longer to enjoy it after retirement.

Graham doesn't have any photos of the school but we're seeing an old friend from those days on Friday, Des Workman, and he may have some. I'll text him in a while and get back to this thread if he has.
I don't know Des Workman, but went to school with Carol Workman. I presume she is Des's sister? I think they used to live at the top of Ash Road, can't remember. She may be on one of the photos I have from Adderley Juniors (we went there before Cherrywood). Mr Tennant was our form master in the first year at Cherrywood. Des must have been at Cherrywood much the same time as I was. I left Christmas 1966. I was in Mr. Matthews class (he taught Geography) planning on taking GCSE's but I left early. Had a lot to do with the library as Mr. Matthews was in charge.

Hi Sue, Des only had brothers and I think Carol's name has come up before and as far as I can remember isn't a relative although she may be connected in the dim and distant past. I'll see what Des remembers on Friday.

Hello Sue, Sadly I have no photos. I went to Cherrywood from 1964 to1968. Des Workman had two brothers Christopher and Athony and lived in Wyndcliffe Road. Des went to work at Rackhams when he laft school.

I remember Mr McGuffy well. He gave me the cane for swinging on the coat rack in the boys toilet. He wrote a book about war called Rank and File. I met Mr Mathews who went on to beccome my Social Sciences Lecturer at Mathew Boutlton Tech College in1971/2. I visite Cherrywood school in about 1996 at which time it was a Muslim school.

We had very happy days at Cherrywood. Mr Matthews went to live in Wales with his wife who was also a Jazz Musician. His two sons were also musicians. I remember he used to play his trumpet and Mr. Tennant would play the drums. Eddie Matthews used to have a band called the Big Roll Band or the Jump Back Band. Can't remember but they used to play every week at the Station (?) in Harborne. Mr. M. lived in Harborne and I remember visiting his house once. He had a white wall in the kitchen and everyone who visited had signed it, including many famous people. He knew the Spencer Davis Group and used to sell their autographs for charity. He taught us Georgraphy, 5th year he was our Form Master and was also the Senior Librarian. Do you remember The Library Journal? A paper that came out once each month.

Back