• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green

Re: Cherrywood Road, Saltley ?

22 &28 succumbed to the German Airforce during WW2 .
I lived at No. 8 1942-1968 and played cricket and football across what were the living rooms of these houses

Hi Icarus,there was a shop on the corner of the entrance to Colmore depot in the 60s owned by Mrs Binns , used to get our "fags" there when i was an apprentice mechanic , as mikeflan mentioned we knew it as 292.
I think the Gypsies tent must be the only pub in the area i never went in but spent some time in the Country girl (pub).

Hi Icarus,there was a shop on the corner of the entrance to Colmore depot in the 60s owned by Mrs Binns , used to get our "fags" there when i was an apprentice mechanic , as mikeflan mentioned we knew it as 292.
My paternal Grandparents lived at 298 Cherrywood R'd,about 3 doors down from the Colmore Depot entrance..It was a cycle repair shop when I was nipper in the late 40's !..I wonder if anyone remembers it ?...Here's an aerial view from 1930,courtesy of "Britain From Above"

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 84
We bought our first house at 317 Cherrywood Road, 1966, it was opposite Colmore Depot. I remember the shop, it was quite scruffy.

Matthew, I lived at 323 and I remember the Neales. But have I got the right family? Keith Neale was a friend of mine when we were kids. How come you're a Simpson? DQ

My paternal Grandparents lived at 298 Cherrywood R'd,about 3 doors down from the Colmore Depot entrance..It was a cycle repair shop when I was nipper in the late 40's !..I wonder if anyone remembers it ?...Here's an aerial view from 1930,courtesy of "Britain From Above"
We lived at No 323 opposite the right hand end of that block arrowed in the picture. I was a kid in the '50s. In those days, on the end of the terrace was a fish & chip shop. There was also a dirty old sweet shop in that terrace which was run by a Mrs Branson. We used to play football in front of the Colmore Depot using the metal gates as a goal but we usually got chased off by the Binns brothers for making too much noise. DQ

Just found this Cherrywood Road photo taken in 1960. Can't say I recognise it with that 'new' Dodge building there. Maybe one of those houses is Margaret's!

CherrywoodRd1960.jpg
Hi my mom worked as a morning cleaner at this garage, a man named Barker owned the garage he had a Aston Martin I sat in it once, we lived at 71 cherrywood rd left in 1966, aged 11

Hi my mom worked as a morning cleaner at this garage, a man named Barker owned the garage he had a Aston Martin I sat in it once, we lived at 71 cherrywood rd left in 1966, aged 11
I was born in Cherrywood rd, in fact just where the Barker's garage was built.
I was very young but my brothers and I can recall many of the families (good and bad) and the shops and buildings that were our 'patch'.
We were at the June 1952 street party.
Anybody else old enough to remember those times in the 50's

Dr Sankarayya was our Dr...DrBose was the senior partner in one of the first NHS practice in Bham,

A former Gurkha military Dr Sankarayya was a little gruff in manner, but a good doctor......Dr Bamford...far more easy going ....his father was involved with Schools Dental Service near Hobmoor Rd. Our family were caretakers at the Gt Barr St Surgery [we went to Ada Rd School].....
I just commented on this my mother was just telling me that Dr Bamford and Dr Sankaraya was our doctors up to 1979 on Cherrywood Road until they moved to Templefield St and u still own a house 196 Cherrywood Rd

I was born in Cherrywood rd, in fact just where the Barker's garage was built.
I was very young but my brothers and I can recall many of the families (good and bad) and the shops and buildings that were our 'patch'.
We were at the June 1952 street party.
Anybody else old enough to remember those times in the 50's

my grandfather was licencee of the gypcys tent ph during the war years william plant he also had a coal business my grandmother was a rhodes name mentioned early in thread

my grandfather was licencee of the gypcys tent ph during the war years william plant he also had a coal business my grandmother was a rhodes name mentioned early in thread
Oh how amazing the name changed to the Tipsy Gent and it has been closed and boarded up which is a shame for many years now opposite Ronald Road just off Cherrywood Road.

Matthew, I lived at 323 and I remember the Neales. But have I got the right family? Keith Neale was a friend of mine when we were kids. How come you're a Simpson? DQ
Hi David,

Yes you have the right family. Keith is my Dad.

I changed my name (all of it btw) around 5 years ago.

Matthew

Hi David,

Yes you have the right family. Keith is my Dad.

I changed my name (all of it btw) around 5 years ago.

Matthew
OK that explains things. I recall going to the Neales to watch TV as a kid, we never had one so it was a real treat. Cyrille & Ada used to have a car as well & they would take Keith & I for a rides into the country on summer Sunday afternoons. That was great too. Wow, how do I remember this stuff? This would have been in the late 1950s!

Many Thanks for That Steve .
What a small world this really is . I hope you liked her book . Its a lovely account of life back in the 30s . She originated from Floodgate Street.
If you ever come into contact with my cousins could you please pass on my E mail and ask them if they have any old photos of the Paytons . I am especially interested in any childhood photos of my dad :)
Jean xx
OK that explains things. I recall going to the Neales to watch TV as a kid, we never had one so it was a real treat. Cyrille & Ada used to have a car as well & they would take Keith & I for a rides into the country on summer Sunday afternoons. That was great too. Wow, how do I remember this stuff? This would have been in the late 1950s!
I really appreciate your memories of my nan and grandad!!!!! I miss them loads,especially Grandad (he was always my favourite grandparent)!!! If you have anymore I would love to hear them. My Dad is well and living in Castle Bromwich these days.

Best wishes
Matthew

I really appreciate your memories of my nan and grandad!!!!! I miss them loads,especially Grandad (he was always my favourite grandparent)!!! If you have anymore I would love to hear them. My Dad is well and living in Castle Bromwich these days.

Best wishes
Matthew
Hi Matthew, there's not much in the memory bank but I always remember how Ada used to slice the bread by clutching the loaf & sawing towards her with a bread knife without injury. She was quite good at it. People didn't have a lot in those days, so breadboards were probably deemed unnecessary & of course kitchens with worktops were yet to be invented. Bread & butter of course was part of most meals to fill us kids up.

I know Keith used to drop by when he was in the area occasionally & say hello to my late mother at 323 & this she much appreciated.

All the best.

David

Back