• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cherry Street

That tall building, which does draw the eyes, could be where Greys store was situated. From another thread it appears they Edward Grey (Greey) set up around the middle of the last decade of the 19th century.
The sign on the wall,very hard to decipher, I believe is ******* Passage. A pity the signage over the portal to the courts behind is also unreadable.

Today the Infirmary would probably be somewhere between Lloyd’s Bank and House of Fraser on the Cherry Street side. The street numbering today is weird, but #43 is shown as Lloyd’s Bank on Streetview.

As for the tall building in the distance it must be the top of Snow Hill around Colmore Circus (as was) /Steelhouse Lane, so Greys is a good bet. I seem to remember from other photos that Greys had a very tall section to the store.

Viv.

Looking, albeit briefly at the chimney stacks, the building with the sign Withers upon it could be the tall building. There are a few tall buildings in the area it seems. The lower photo, with the two buses, is with a couple of years of the end of WW2, judging by the bus with the wartime roof colours.

The upper is the OS map published in 1890, and the lower is from 1905 and May help to narrow the date of the picture.

03345799-6D57-4468-9A8E-19A44188332F.jpeg

That tall building, which does draw the eyes, could be where Greys store was situated. From another thread it appears they Edward Grey (Greey) set up around the middle of the last decade of the 19th century.
The sign on the wall,very hard to decipher, I believe is ******* Passage. A pity the signage over the portal to the courts behind is also unreadable.

It could be a more cruder sign saying No Entry?

Another possibility is it a sign which points (with a finger) to Bradford Passage, which from the maps in the previous posts, show where the steps/pathway lead to?

This Shoothill photo is labelled as Cherry Street. It shows Price’s Veterinary Infirmary. But it’s very difficult to work out exactly where it was on Cherry Street. It looks like there’s a sign for a passageway on the building next door, but I can’t make it out. Viv.
It's a good job there are people with better eyesight than me - I thought the sign said Patent's Office. Having said that perhaps rather than being a named passage it's a sign to the property at the back.

In the 60s I dated a girl for a short time who used to work at a sheet music shop in Cherry Street called James Pass. I wonder if anyone remembers it.

I remember James Pass - more classical sheet music - than pop, and that would be up to 1960 as I left Brum in January 1961. I didn't buy much in there because most of my classical music was borrowed from the library. I think all of my Debussy came from James Pass as that was somewhat more difficult that the earlier masters - beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, etc. - and needed more practice. I also bought stuff from Foyles Music Dept in London as they kept the more unusual vibraphone pieces. The Cherry Street was quite a narrow shop as I recall.

Maurice :cool:

The tall building with "Wither's Tobacconist" painted on it interests me as Edwin Withers in 1841 was a tobacconist living at 25-27 Ravenhurst Street, Camp Hill. He may, of course, have had a shop in or near Cherry Street; but 1841 seems to me an early date for a tall building for a young (30 year old) man. Mind you by 1841 he was married with two children and a servant as well as his mother living with him. By 1850 Edwin had expanded to include snuff, cigar, rope and twine manufacturer at 93 Smallbrook Street; by 1851 he was living at 49 Nursery St.

Looking, albeit briefly at the chimney stacks, the building with the sign Withers upon it could be the tall building. There are a few tall buildings in the area it seems. The lower photo, with the two buses, is with a couple of years of the end of WW2, judging by the bus with the wartime roof colours.
The building with WITHERS painted on the outside was where Boot's had a store for a few years.

It is not only today that very attractive buildings are destroyed for development., though admittedly this development, to make Corporation St, did also result in the removal of a lot of slum properties. However, Pullars had to move from their quite attractive building Pullars, little Cherry St. 1881A.jpg

Although the main point of the photo is the ARP exercise taking place, I was pleased to see the entrance to the Cobden Hotel on this one (left) - not often seen from this view. This must be where Rackhams (later House of Fraser) was built. Then across the road to the right of the Shilling Tailor must have been Martineau Street or was it Union Street (?) Viv.

0C45C71A-6ED1-4A50-91D1-D8D6AA7AB4BB.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Although the main point of the photo is the ARP exercise taking place, I was pleased to see the entrance to the Cobden Hotel on this one (left) - not often seen from this view. This must be where Rackhams (later House of Fraser) was built. Then across the road to the right of the Shilling Tailor must have been Martineau Street or was it Union Street (?) Viv.

View attachment 159639
Source: British Newspaper Archive
Union St.! Strictly speaking Rackhams was built by Harrods but taken over by House of Fraser before it even opened. I have not seen a picture of the Cobden from this angle before.

Back