• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cherry Street

From the Book "The Old Taverns of Birmingham" by E Edwards written in 1879.

"When Cherry Street, a hundred and fifty years ago, was cut through the Cherry Orchard, from St Philip's churchyard, its progress in a direct line towards High Street came to an end at the spot where the Lancashire Fire Office now stands. At this point it made a bend to the left to make a junction with Crooked Lane. There was, however, a narrow passage leading from Cherry Street to High Street, which was known as Corbett's Alley. The left hand side of this passage was partially built upon, and it now forms the east side of Union Street. The boundary of the opposite side, or west side, was, for the greater part of its length, the fence of Corbett's Bowling Green, a large area surrounded by trees, and having many pleasant arbours. At the end of the straight part of Chery Street, but fronting the south, in Corbett's Alley, there was an old tavern known as the "Coffee-pot," reaching almost across what is now the roadway. The grounds and gardens of this house extended westwards to Little Cannon Street....

...in the year 1786 a house in Cherry Street, standing opposite Cannon Street, and being No 39, was occupied by a gentleman named Goodbehere....(he) retains a perfect recollection of the locality as it existed in 1790....(his father) conceived the idea that by pulling down the Coffee Pot and taking a slice of the Bowling Green, Corbett's alley may be transformed into a street which would connect Cherry Street with High Street, in a direct course..."

(Much more is said but this was the birth of the House that would receive the name of the commodious Inn called the Union

thats very interesting pedro thank you post 33 shows a pic of the union hotel not sure if that is the same as the union inn...i dont surpose there is any chance of me getting hold of a copy of that book...

lyn

Last edited:
IMG_0881.jpg
thats very interesting pedro thank you post 33 shows a pic of the union hotel not sure if that is the same as the union inn...i dont surpose there is any chance of me getting hold of a copy of that book...

lyn

Books would be very difficult but this App for Ipad is very good!

From Making of Birmingham (Robert Dent, 1894)

(Bowling Green Corbett's Alley)

"What were the amusements [around 1700] of the people at this period is not easy to define. Corbett's bowling green, now the site of the Birmingham Old Library, and Walker's and Greenwood's cherry orchards, the former on the site of Cherry Street and the latter at the upper end of New Street afforded opportunities of enjoying the old English game of howls and the pleasures of the garden; and occasionally a temporary wooden construction, erected on the fields which covered the site of Temple Street, served as a Temple of Thespis. Here the strolling players delighted the townsfolk with the drolls which were fashioned out of the old plays, by the elision of the more serious parts, many of these embodying the choicest comic scenes from Shakespeare's plays. Occasionally, perhaps, a company of players of a higher calibre might visit the town, and present in a less maimed form some of the matchless comedies and tragedies of our "ever-living poet." But even under the most favourable circumstances the audience must perforce have been compelled to piece out the players' imperfections with their imagination, for in these rude performances there would doubtless be a plentiful lack of accessories, and none too much of histrionic ability."

Just looking at that tall building in Union street. Thought to myself "I've never seen that building before, it must have been demolished" Just looked on Google street view and it's still there! Never noticed it before? I must go round with my eyes shut. :confused:

Just looking at that tall building in Union street. Thought to myself "I've never seen that building before, it must have been demolished" Just looked on Google street view and it's still there! Never noticed it before? I must go round with my eyes shut. :confused:

Actually I used to work in that building - City Centre House - back in the late 60s /early 70s, it was mainly the various districts of HM Inspector of Taxes!

For some reason the street looks wider and I think Grenville's is a newspaper shop now.

Hi, Frothblower, My mother was born in Cherry Street the 6th November 1884 at No. 41. Her father was Caretaker for the building but I have no idea who the owners were. It looks very different to what I remember 60 odd years ago.

In 1889 no 41 Cherry St was occupiedby (though don't know if he owned it) Richard sunderland, tailor

In 1903 there was a tailors at number 40, Cherry Street - here is a quote from the London Gazette:

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Edward Lingard, Joseph William Lingard, William Cartwright, and Philip Thomas, carrying on business as Tailors, at 40, Cherry-street, in the city of Birmingham, under the style or firm of "CARTWRIGHT, THOMAS, AND CO.," has this day been dissolved by mutual consent, so far as regards the said Edward Lingard and Joseph William Lingard, who retire from the firm. All debts due to or owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said William Cartwright and Philip Thomas, who will continue the said business under the present style or firm of " Cartwright, Thomas, and Co."—Dated the 2nd day of April, 1903.
EDWARD LINGARD
JOSEPH WILLIAM LINGARD
WILLIAM CARTWRIGHT
PHILIP THOMAS

...and here is a family (William C. was my great-grandfather) heirloom:
PICT3830.JPGPICT3830.JPG

View attachment 87368A pic of Canonn Street might be able to compare
That brings back memories of my first job at W H Smith in Corp Street in 1957. The back door of the shop led out into Cannon Street and I often visited the Windsor pub (opposite) for half of mild and a pork pie at lunch time. Have lived in NZ for years but have many memories of my early days in Brum. Trevor B.

In July 2013, Vivienne opened this thread and the first line of her post was this:
Cherry Street is a street that can be easily overlooked.
It brought a smile to my face and brings me to remark, "certainly not by young boys" whose mecca was the model shop, which is referred to many times in this thread.
I was lucky in my early teens in going to the city unaccompanied but I wonder how many mums and dads were luffed into Cherry Street by their offspring - probably having to fork out for something not included in the weekly budget. :D

This Shoothill photo is labelled as Cherry Street. It shows Price’s Veterinary Infirmary. But it’s very difficult to work out exactly where it was on Cherry Street. It looks like there’s a sign for a passageway on the building next door, but I can’t make it out. Viv.

A85DAD3C-2FA7-480E-A064-164EC64311BD.jpeg

i cant make out the passage name plate either viv...what has got my attention is the large building behind cherry st it actually looks more like a house...it seems to be on very high ground...i thought it was pretty flat around there....interesting

lyn

Back