• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cherry Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
great pic of the coalman delivering to the cobden hotel...cherry st date jan 1940

Lyn,
What a marvellous shot of Cherry Street. Have you any idea where Cherry Lane, Bordesley Green was? D.

Gt photo of Cherry St Lyn you can just see the Grand Hotel in the background when you enlarge it all those building must have been demolished to build Rackhams. Dek

sorry david i dont know of that cherry st....

yes dek i love this one...well spotted with the grand...

No question of them not delivering because of bad weather then. Are we all softies now?

Not sure , But isnt there a Cobden Road off Bordesley Green Road would that be something todo with the hotel?

Last edited:
Lyn, it was Cherry Lane that I was asking about.

Sylvia, yes, I know of Cherrywood Road; I lived in Blake Lane, just along Bordesley Green going out of town, and hence my interest in Cherry Lane, Bordesley Green.

mikejee has solved the initial problem in the thread "Sarah Ann Green, Bordesley Green" with his Post #3, in which he writes, "Cherrywood Road was called Cherrywood Lane on the 1866 map, and the 1880 Kellys lists Cherry Lane coming off Bordesley Green at the same point. It looks like it was called variations of that name over a few years, till the final Cherrywood Road was used".

Thanks for your help, ideas and suggestions, David

Super picture of Cherry Street. Walked up there a lot. You can just see the model shop on the top corner. I don't remember the traffic though...I seem to think it was one way up in my day (could be wrong) and never knew there was a hotel there...but then again I would not be looking for one, especially if I had not finished my homework.No hotel portico in my day.
Funny, Rackhams was built in the sixties or thereabouts but I seem to think that the buildings on Cherry Street survived a bit longer Dek. I do not seem to remember the store stretching as far as there. You are right though much was destroyed and the beautiful Georgian? buildings on Temple row dissappeared. Just looking at GE it seems that Rackhams did not survive as long as those buildings though...House Of Fraser now with a poor frontage. It has been more than forty years but I seem to remember Rackhams with a somewhat more stylish rippled concrete frontage there. I hate it all.

Just expanding this thread a bit...I was looking at the 1890 survey and thought that Needlers Passage was not around in our time. I dont remember ever going there but I see that it is still around.

Tried to sharpen the picture a bit. Can't remember the name but just to the left of this photographer was a super sports shop with expensive cricket bats and fly rods in the window. They did not sell maggots or worms for sure.

thanks for that rupert..glad you like the pic..i think we missed a lot when we were kids well i did anyway..always looked straight ahead and never up...and only looked to the sides if there were sweet shops around....

lyn

the hollier advert was after 1880, as the address was Eldon chambers in 1880, but New Eldon chambers in 1882.

What was destroyed for what's there now...https://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/92500531

Surely the moon raged at this happening.

Just looked at the link from this older post.

Are those buildings where Rackams (sorry - House of Frazer!) is now? If so, the building on the far right was still standing in the late 60's, it was where Margaret Tregonnings Florist originally was and there was a 'boutique' selling women's clothes next door in the corner house. I have tried to remember what it was called as I used to go in there sometimes but I just can't recall - very anoying!

Just looked at the link from this older post.

Are those buildings where Rackams (sorry - House of Frazer!) is now? If so, the building on the far right was still standing in the late 60's, it was where Margaret Tregonnings Florist originally was and there was a 'boutique' selling women's clothes next door in the corner house. I have tried to remember what it was called as I used to go in there sometimes but I just can't recall - very anoying!

Think it may have been Tiffany's Boutique, although I'm not 100% sure. Viv.

Thanks Viv!!
I have been trying to think of the name of that boutique for ages and ages! Can picture the inside of it, I think there were two levels, ground floor and basement. It was quite tiny. They had some nice clothes, although some a bit too expensive for me though I did buy a black crepe mini skirt and a red sleeveless blouse from there.

Cherry Street is a street that can be easily overlooked. Tucked in alongside the House of Fraser, it's often merely used as a quick route from Corporation Street through to St. Philip's Cathedral and Colmore Row. But its past is surprisingly more colourful. Cherry Street's name derives from a once large and fruitful cherry orchard. Originally it was a footpath that followed a line from Temple Row to High Street through a cherry orchard. Over time it has been the home of:

Cooke's Coffee House. The scene of a meeting on counterfeit coinage in 1778.

Wesleyan Chapel, first built by John Wesley in 1782 and re-built in 1823. This was demolished when Central Hall was built in 1887 on Corporation Street.

The end of Cherry Street, where Cannon Street joins it from the east, was home to several banks and played a part in Birmingham's commercial coinage. Joseph Merry, ran a small 18th-century mint and lived and worked on Cherry Street. He stopped making tokens when Boulton's cartwheels appeared and made pocketbook locks, then later picture frames and military ornaments.

The Rose Copper Company formed in 1793 by a group of local manufacturers (including Boulton) was a principal 19th century token issuer and had its warehouse and headquarters in Cherry Street. It supplied much of the metal used for the Boulton copper.

Coates, Woolley, and Gordon were there in 1815. The business transferred to Moilliet, Smith, and Pearson, later J.L. Moilliet and Sons, who carried the business on for many years, finally transferring it to Lloyds and Company Limited.

Cherry Street Wesleyan School, established 1830. By 1849 it occupied a large edifice along with a small playground. The school disappears from Cherry Street in 1870.

In later years it had elegant shops and offices as this 1881 sketch shows:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372688953.098995.jpg

One building, #10, is now a listed building. It's of Arts and Crafts design and all bricks and tiles for the building were hand-made. Here are the details and a photo:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372688855.631733.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372688882.140799.jpg

A much more interesting street than I thought. Viv.

viv
thats great write up my gggrandfather was living in cherry street when he married my gggrandmother she was living in cannon street they marrired at st philips church in 1869
here is their marrage cert
josieAB881670.jpg

That's great Josie. It's so good to place people in the streets we all discuss on here. Your gggrandfather and mother must have had a very memorable wedding at St. Phillips - and living so close, no excuse for being late! I wonder if you gggrandfather went to the school in Cherry Street? Here's Westley's 1731 map showing Walker's cherry orchard and the lane (not named at this point) cutting through the orchard from Temple Row. (I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the orchards once belonged to the Priory). Within the space of 20 years all that wonderful green space would be virtually covered by buildings. By the time your relations married it would look like Tallis's map of 1851. Cherry Street would eventually be sliced almost in half when Corporation Street was cut through in the late 1870s. So Cherry Street was once a much longer street than the one we know today. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372705015.147342.jpgWestley map 1731

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372705036.719166.jpgTallis's map 1851

In the Census for 1861 my widowed great grandfather was living in Cherry Street (5 Court, 2 House) with his son and daughter - my grandfather and great aunt. So nice to know what the area was like at that time - thank you.

It's a pity Geofred that I can't find more images of Cherry Street to get a better idea of it, but there doesn't seem to be many around. So if anyone out there has any, please do post them. I'm also interested to know where Little Cherry Street was too. I presume it was nearby but not seen it on a map yet. Viv.

viv
thank you for posting map of cherry orchard as it was and how it as changed will put them on my family tree
josie for my grandaughter josie

In J.A. Langford's 1868 book "A century of Birmingham Life ....", he says: "The words cherry orchard have a pleasant sound". Even today that sounds so true. Imagine all that lovely blossom in spring as you looked down from St. Phillip's and Temple Row. He goes on to give a charming description of the area in the past in this short snippet, and Little Cherry Street is mentioned, although I'm none the wiser as to where the street actually was. Wondering if it was Crooked Lane? There's also mention of a 1700s advert for a 'house' to let within the cherry orchard (contact was Mr Walker, baker of Digbeth, of Walker's Cherry Orchard perhaps?). The 'house' details I take to mean an 'Inn'. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372753410.406155.jpg

I used to call at the Model Aerodrome nearly every afternoon on my way home from school. Better than doing homework.

G

View attachment 87149Cherry Street from John Ball's site

That's great Bernie. I think that's helped to match up the 1881 drawing of the Cherry Street shops and offices with John Ball's photo. The purple spot is where Rackhams/House of Fraser building starts in Cherry Street. So the building next to it coming up Cherry Street would be the one in the drawing. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372754738.790565.jpg

John Ball's photo is how I remember this street. You can see down to Union Street (which would also have once been part of Cherry Street, before Corporation Street was cut through.

The Model Aerodrome shop was 'Tiffany's' boutique in the 1970s. Big Gee, bet the Model Aerodrome was full of boys avoiding the dreaded homework!

Thanks for posting Bernie. Viv.

Back