• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chemists

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A chemist’s trade card from the 1820s which suggests a chemist might still at this time experiment with medicines. Viv.

0DEDBDDF-64B6-4395-AFB3-5F50B58DEF1E.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Good to see the illustration of Hedges L260 Snuff. L260 came about as the result of a private prescription. The prescription was recorded in private prescription ledger “L” page number 260. Hence the name. It was made in the warehouse at the rear of of the Dale End shop. Anyone entering the shop in Dale End could not help but notice the pervading smell of menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus. I can smell it even now. The Snuff mills ran almost continuously, the rumble being felt throughout the building. AC.

Good to see the illustration of Hedges L260 Snuff. L260 came about as the result of a private prescription. The prescription was recorded in private prescription ledger “L” page number 260. Hence the name. It was made in the warehouse at the rear of of the Dale End shop. Anyone entering the shop in Dale End could not help but notice the pervading smell of menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus. I can smell it even now. The Snuff mills ran almost continuously, the rumble being felt throughout the building. AC.
I think that those Snuff mills were rolling just to keep my Grandma supplied! She took snuff in vast quantities (or so it seemed to us youngsters). Not the cleanest of habits, the snuff seemed to get everywhere and as you say the mell was all pervading. Her preferred brand was L260 but when she was a bit short of cash and couldn't afford a tin we kids were despatched to the newsagents foe a sachet of Singletons which I think was a lot cheaper.
Despite the habit we loved her dearly.

Does anyone have pictures of Snapes Chemists on Great Hampton Street please? Remember going there as a kid - inside was like a film set from Dickens' era - they used to run a thing called "The Chance" where for a weekly sum you got the chance to win a voucher to be spent in-store - it seems to be about the only place in that area I did not get a photo of!

Does anyone have pictures of Snapes Chemists on Great Hampton Street please? Remember going there as a kid - inside was like a film set from Dickens' era - they used to run a thing called "The Chance" where for a weekly sum you got the chance to win a voucher to be spent in-store - it seems to be about the only place in that area I did not get a photo of!
hi mark have you looked on the great hampton street thread yet....i remember a chemist along there in the early 70s but cant recall if it was snapes or izons

lyn

Hi Lyn; if memory serves (and it does not very often these days....) I think it was in the building behind the two "Keep Left" bollards - if not it must have been in the building behind the 2 bus stops. Someone else must have been there!
1655469407044.png

you could very well be right mark however i cant recall a chemist next to the gothic pub....i think the best way forward is to hope some kind member can do a kellys look up to determine exactly what number snapes was at and maybe we might get a map highlighting its location...then we should have a better idea

lyn

Snapes was at 13 Gt Hampton St as shown on the map below. that means that it was in the far distance on the photo [posted by Mark. (reposted with arrow to the building I am pretty sure would be Snapes)

map 1940s showing  Snapes Chemists at 13 Gt Hampton St.jpgGt Hampton St showing no 13 with arrow.png

The "bond" mentioned above is similar to the "Chance" that Snapes in Bham offered I think?
Mike - I think #13 is a better bet than #7 mentioned in the web article above! Thank you!

mike thats fantastic thank you.....i thought but could not be certain that it was further up than the gothic but mark your memory is not failing...it was behind the bus stops

lyn

If you google "Snapes" and "Chemist", the results get muddied a bit by this chap....View attachment 171052
There was however, another Snapes Chemist in Wolverhampton - they were connected? View attachment 171053

Historywebsite.co.uk provides this:- (http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/interesting/snapes/snapes01.htm)
wattsView attachment 171056
John Henry James is listed as a grocer at 7 Gt Hampton st in the 1895 Kellys. and as a tea dealer at 41 chiurch St bilston, but no mention in that year in wednesbury.

i noticed a chemist's shop is slowly being called a pharmacy

i noticed a chemist's shop is slowly being called a pharmacy

Interesting. Over here, what you might call a chemist's shop does not exist, it will be a pharmacie and the distinction is very firm. Supermarkets and some shops will sell what could be called beauty products, such as hair and non medical skin care, vitamin pills, plasters and such. They may set up areas that look like a UK chemists to do this. They will not by law sell aspirin, paracetamol or anything that might be considered a 'cure'. No cheap Tesco branded packets of aspirin here. Big supermarkets may set up a pharmacie, but it will be a shop within a shop, with its own staff.

A pharmacie will sell all that plus medications to prescription and over the counter (OTC) drugs. Similar to the pharmacy department in a UK chemists shop, but nothing medical is allowed to 'leak' into the general part of the store. A pharmacist can produce a new prescription, not just a repeat, can modify a doctor's prescription, particularly to use a generic drug, (obligatory, a doctor has to specifically request a brand), and will normally query your purchase of OTC drugs, even paracetamol, to ensure you are getting the most appropriate thing, and advise accordingly. They are considered as 'first level' doctors, something I think is happening in the UK, and can deal with things like rashes, minor scrapes and odd twinges, even if this requires a prescription drug. They also know when to point you straight at the doctors surgery.
Because health is centrally managed, anything a pharmacist supplies by producing a prescription will be known to your doctor on your next visit. Pharmacists can also see your medication history when they advise you.

You may also have heard that they are trained in mushroom recognition. True.

Andrew.

When I had a Saturday job at Boots the Chemists, if you worked on the dispensary side it was called the ‘drugs’ counter. I was moved to the drugs side after proving myself on the cosmetics counter. Unlike today, the word ‘pharmaceuticals’ was never referred to in our shop. If it was it was usually referring to the company producing medicine etc. Of course there’s no way today the pharmaceuticals sections of chemist shops would be referred to as offering a ‘drugs counter’ service. Viv.

Does anyone have any information on this Chemist company Whitehouse Ltd, 601 Bearwood Road around 1921. I have a relation who was working for them as a Druggist and Chemist on the 1921 Census. It seems that it was quite a large concern being Ltd maybe like Boots Chemist.

They were a high St chemists. There seems to have been only one branch in Bearwood Road. They went into voluntary liquidation in 1941

Ev. Despatch. 18.10.1937.jpgBirm Mail. 10.4.1941.jpg

Back