• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CHEMISTRY SETS---BANG !

R

Rod

I loved the effects of mixing Tartaric Acid & Ferrous Sulphate :twisted:

The result was akin to very smelly bad eggs

Yes Sue just like that the stethoscope always fascinated me :eek: In the seventies for Christmas one of our sons had the Fisher Price Doctors set it seemed so sophisticated compared to the one i had.

:D My brother got a chemistry set one Christmas, but was never allowed to use it.That set sat in it's box for years before being thrown out when we moved house (would have been worth a bomb :lol: today). My nurses outfit was not as posh as yours Sue and Pam, but I still have the tie on hat and pin on apron 8)

Sue,
I'm confused - are we talking the one you had with Sandy or the one when you were 21? :?

Oh!...
... I know they're not very practical from a wearers point of view but I always felt the old type uniforms, with starched caps etc., gave the nurses a more prfessional and authoritive look.

I recall being in the Woodlands when the nurses were objecting to having their caps taken from them. Mind, I do think that tops and trousers are and improvement on those overall looking thingies.

Hey, talk about digressing!! :oops:

This is a very old thread and strangely seems to have more posts on nurse's uniforms than chemistry sets. I was a proud owner of a chemistry set(s) and even used the bathroom to carry out experiments, much to my mother's annoyance. I seem to remember a shop near Newhall Street, in the centre of Birmingham, where you could top-up on chemicals and buy scientific apparatus. Types of chemicals that you could find in a (large) chemistry set are shown below. Apparently, modern chemistry sets have only a few very innocuous chemicals. Health and safety at work again! Dave.
P1020444 (2).JPG

I had a chemistry set too, in fact it became quite anabsorbing hobby. I also made stink bombs by mixing Tartaric Acid & FerrousSulphate, resulting in filling the kitchen with Hydrogen sulphide gas, alsofound in rotten eggs. It is unfortunately very poisonous, corrosive, flammable,and explosive.

My mom certainly used some very well chosen words to describewhat she was going to do with my chemistry set.

My friend also managed to produce chlorine gas with Tartaricacid and a domestic household bleach and nearly chocked himself to death. Chlorinegas, also known as bertholite, was first used as a weapon in WWI.

There was a company called Phillip Harris and Co in LionelSt, just off Newhall St who sold lab equipment for schools etc, I have afeeling that they are still trading somewhere else now.

The good old Midland Educational also sold chemicals and labequipment too, one shop I certainly miss; as well as the old type nurses uniformslol

Thanks for that Morturn. Yes, it was definitely at Phillip Harris that I used to buy my chemicals. I had a bigger chemistry set when I later worked for Unilever and ICI. Dave.

Back