• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chelmsley Wood Pubs

Hi stevegbr

any idea when the picture was taken as I don't remember the pavement like that in the 70s .

Ogri

I was a regular there for years, played in the domino team and also played pool there, never had any problems. Wish it was still there.

Hi

All traces of the old pub now seem to have gone, and new homes are on the site.

With the exception that if you follow the link in post 44, the first 'Local' pic shows a dome of
granite sets near the corner of Arran Way. This is now in the fenced grass area in front
of the new homes,

I seem to remember that there used to be a similar one on front of the pub door, but incorporating lights

Kind regards

Dave

I have lived in Chelmsley Wood (Fordbridge area) 29 years and never found a decent pub, Trusty Servant probably the best of a bad bunch, my nearest is the Centurion on Forth Drive, what a dump !! I used to walk along the stream to Bell Lane Marston Green to the Bell pub which I did like (apart from the huge TV screen), but that has gone now. We are left with drinking clubs, The Banbury (opposite ASDA), The Labour Club and the Conservative Club (cannot imagine many Conservatives in Chelmsley Wood), being a modest drinker I have not joined/visited either. Eric

Eureka! I have been hunting for this photograph for years and I've finally found it. It shows the actor Dennis Price serving the first pint in The Trusty Servant in Chelmsley Wood on the 28th October, 1971. Price played the suave serial murderer Louis Mazzini in the 1949 film Kind Hearts and Coronets (if you have not seen it, you're in for a treat as it's one of the best British films ever made) and later on found fame in the sixties playing Jeeves the butler in the BBC television series The World of Wooster (1965–67). Was anyone there when the photograph was taken?

27fgs0.jpg

'fraid not Lyn, why I don't know, was one of the few decent pubs in Chelmsley Wood, my Wife and I always popped in after finishing shopping. Eric

Sad to see this picture. I worked in the "In Shops" market opposite and often went in there for an after work pint. Pat, the gaffer, and his wife whose name I sadly forget, were lovely people and always made you feel welcome.

Eureka! I have been hunting for this photograph for years and I've finally found it. It shows the actor Dennis Price serving the first pint in The Trusty Servant in Chelmsley Wood on the 28th October, 1971. Price played the suave serial murderer Louis Mazzini in the 1949 film Kind Hearts and Coronets (if you have not seen it, you're in for a treat as it's one of the best British films ever made) and later on found fame in the sixties playing Jeeves the butler in the BBC television series The World of Wooster (1965–67). Was anyone there when the photograph was taken?

27fgs0.jpg
Having had more than a nodding acquaintance with things to do with the Fire Service, I recall a good comedy film starring Dennis Price in which, in order to achieve a robbery, he formed a small team of firemen with their own engine. He was, from memory, a brigade officer who had been cashiered so had the knowledge to correctly train his men.
Go to blazes was its name.
Dennis died young it appears at 58.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone on here have any photos of the now closed or demolished pubs on the wood, like The Roundhouse, The Happy Trooper, The Yeoman, The Hiker, The Friendly Inn, The Trusty Servant, The Southern Cross or any I have missed off ?:violin:I drank in all of these at some stage to various degrees, but haven't got any photos except a few recent of the Trusty(boarded up) and Friendly(now a old peoples home). Cheers Carlb36
what was the name of the pub in the shopping centre ?

Hi,
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Merrymaker in Smith's Wood (Chelmsley Wood Area 12)
Now long gone, but I'm sure many will remember it, - for various reasons!
Kind regards
Dave

I grew up in Chelmsley Wood, in fact we moved into a flat when it was built so that dates back to late 60's. I lived opposite the Woodsman, now demolished I believe. Who remembers that? Area 10, not far from Bacons End.

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the forum. Yes I remember (that's an effort for me these days!) the Woodsman quite well.
A friend and I used to meet in there for a while once a week and have a few pints. Area 10 was all of
what was known then as Chelmsley Wood Extension as far as Arran Way. Areas 11 and 12 took care of
everything else on the left hand side of Auckland Drive, going up the hill, with Area 13 being on the
right hand side.

I lived in Area 11, firstly for about 18 months in Landrail Walk, and then for the next forty six years in
Nightingale Avenue, moving to Norfolk in 2017.

I remember there was a line of shops behind the Woodsman, and the end one was a CB shop in
the early 80's. Thinking about it, there was a CBer with the handle Rupert who lived just behind
the Woodsman. I wonder if you knew him.

A lot of memories of the Birmingham area, including of course my dear wife, who is still with me
after 56 years.

Kind regards
Dave

Back