• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cheaper or Free BMD Certificates ?

John Young

master brummie
Hi Folks

Have not bought B,M or D certificates for years & aware that the costs have soared :frown:

A friend recently told me that there is a way of "getting copies" from Library instead of paying
for a full certificate

Could anybody elaborate further on the truth ( or not ) of this ?

Thanks for any enlightenment, John Y

As far as I know, it's not true John.

What you can do is get copies of the baptism, marriage and burial parish records, which (particularly for marriages) contain the same information. These were previously only available by searching through microfilm, but Ancestry have scanned baptisms, marriages and burials for Birmingham; access to them is in the library or on subscription from home (note, you cannot access Ancestry records in the library remotely as you can with some other records). You can print off the Ancestry records that you find

Ancestry have indexed the records as well, but you can still trawl through a parish register (much as you can on the microfilm - which is still available in the library if you prefer)

Marriage parish register records contain the same information as the marriage certificate.
Admittedly, a burial record doesn't always give a full address and doesn't give the cause of death, but it enough to "kill off" someone in your tree.
Similarly baptisms don't contain exactly the same information as the birth cert (it doesn't usually have the mother's maiden name) but it is enough to let you check that you have the correct birth.

Last edited:
Leslam thank you,

Yes, I think this information that you have kindly ( & promptly ) supplied is the "truth" or gist
of what my friend was referring to.

I shall visit B,ham library next week with my notes of your guidance & hopefully uncover a little more
information on a couple of "maybe" Marriages & a Birth,, well at least I won't have to buy the Certs eh !

Again Leslam & Site, many thanks, John Y

Hi Folks

Have not bought B,M or D certificates for years & aware that the costs have soared :frown:

A friend recently told me that there is a way of "getting copies" from Library instead of paying
for a full certificate

Could anybody elaborate further on the truth ( or not ) of this ?

Thanks for any enlightenment, John Y

Hi Go to the library I think 4th floor for archives, book a film reader, they will help you if needed, If its a marriage and you know the year and the church you will be able to look at the film and find it and get a copy. Also the same for a baptism, not sure about a death, it will be just down where the person was buried. You can also get census. Hope this helps Ask at the desk they are very helpful, I don't go so much now I started in 1989. val

Thank you Val,

All information from friends on this site is always welcome & very helpful.

I have asked for an appointment in the Archives section at B,ham Library for this Thursday & now
waiting for their phone or E-mail reply,

Again Thanks Val, John Y

Back