• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charlotte Street

Saw the House of York on Charlotte Street today. But first noticed the Montgomerys sign.

The House of York is a Grade II listed building dating to 1840 - 1850.

Somehow never got photos of this building before.

Full view from the left.

House of York

Listing Text
CHARLOTTE STREET
Hockley B3
Nos 27 to 31 (consec)
SP 0687 SW 28/5
II
Circa 1840-50 works and warehousing with shopping to rear. No 31 is the 3
storey red brick range warehousing with shopping to top floor and rear. Low
pitch slate roof. Seven bays to ground and lst floor with close set range
of 13 windows to top floor. Brick plinth and ground floor painted up to deep
1st floor sill band, stucco sill band to top floor, moulded brick eaves.
4 x 3 pane windows to top floor, sashed one pane in depth; conventional glazing
bar sashes with flat gauged arches to ground and lst floors. Works entrance
and office door to east end of range, the latter of 4 panels with rectangular
3 pane fanlight in wood pilaster strip frame with consoles to cornice over.
A 2 bay rebuilt narrow link connects with the main office/showroom block,
slightly advanced from preceeding range, 3 storeys, 3 bay symmetrical front.
Stucco plinth and painted brick ground floor. Moulded stucco sill bands to
lst and 2nd floors; projecting moulded stucco cornice, brick parapet with
stucco coping. Doorway and ground and 1st floor windows curtained in segmental
gauged arched recesses, revealed sashes, glazing bars intact, with similar
segmental gauged brick arches. Segmental arched glazing bar sashes to 2nd
floor. Double 4 panel door with 3 pane fanlight approached by 3 steps.

Listing NGR: SP0635687255

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

In 1880 Mrs Sarah Withers was a shopkeeper at 4 Charlotte Street, St Paul's Square. Any images of shopkeepers in St Paul's from about that time would be most welcome.
Cheers

My mom was born in a house on Charlotte street 1949. She lived there with her parents and her older and younger siblings - Surname Law. I think they moved from the house early 60's.

I think there were 3 terrace houses which backed onto the canel and I believe other family members also lived in these house.

If anyone has photos of these houses I would love to see them.

My nan worked in the Queens pub at the bottom of Charlotte Street, I like to go in there for a drink when I can to just imagine my nan working behind the bar.

Two aerial views of Charlotte Street

Attachments

• charlotte-st1-aerial.jpg
    charlotte-st1-aerial.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 22
  • charlotte-st2-aerial.jpg
    charlotte-st2-aerial.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 24
My mom was born in a house on Charlotte street 1949. She lived there with her parents and her older and younger siblings - Surname Law. I think they moved from the house early 60's.

I think there were 3 terrace houses which backed onto the canel and I believe other family members also lived in these house.

If anyone has photos of these houses I would love to see them.

My nan worked in the Queens pub at the bottom of Charlotte Street, I like to go in there for a drink when I can to just imagine my nan working behind the bar.

Hi - my Mom was also born in Charlotte Street. Family name King. The large house at the forefront of the photo is where they lived. This shows the side entrance boarded up. On the left side (as you look at it) was a blacksmith and on the other was a yard where handcarts were stored. I believe that the house where your family lived may be just a few doors further up the road. The houses backed onto the canal.
My grandparents used to drink in the pub - was it the Navigation?

Attachments

• D63228BE-14DA-430D-B0FE-255E8EEBAB63.jpeg
    D63228BE-14DA-430D-B0FE-255E8EEBAB63.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 31
It appears then that your families may have been virtual neighbours. The Kings are listed at 102 Charlotte St and the Laws are listed at 104 on the ERs.

Slightly unfortunately for Logie, looking at the 1950 map, if the large house is 104 then 102 would have been the house with the white wall on the edge of the photo to the left of the blacksmith.

It appears then that your families may have been virtual neighbours. The Kings are listed at 102 Charlotte St and the Laws are listed at 104 on the ERs.

Slightly unfortunately for Logie, looking at the 1950 map, if the large house is 104 then 102 would have been the house with the white wall on the edge of the photo to the left of the blacksmith.
From my limited memory - I didn't visit that often as a child - I believe Laws family house was next to the cart yard - i.e. the right hand side as you look at the photo. Don't know how this would relate number wise. But certainly very close neighbours.

In fact, as Logie suggested, it seems that they were more than neighbours. Winifred the wife of Alfred Law was born Winifred King and was the daughter Edward and Ada King.

So, if you are the great grandchild of Edward and Ada then you and Logie appear to be second cousins.

Looking at both the map and photo - 102 (King) where my grandparents lived is the large house and 104 (Law) is next to the yard - on the right hand side of the photo. If I can find any more photos I'll post them.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi - my Mom was also born in Charlotte Street. Family name King. The large house at the forefront of the photo is where they lived. This shows the side entrance boarded up. On the left side (as you look at it) was a blacksmith and on the other was a yard where handcarts were stored. I believe that the house where your family lived may be just a few doors further up the road. The houses backed onto the canal.
My grandparents used to drink in the pub - was it the Navigation?
My nan's (my Mom's Mom) maiden name was King, Winnie.

Winnie married Alfred Law, they had five daughters, Barbara, Maureen Christine (my mom) Susan & Patricia.

I'm guessing we are related somehow!

The pub was the Queens, Winnie use to work there and I also think she worked in other pubs in the area

Seeing this picture has made my day.

I am going into Birmingham with my Mom this weekend, we always go for a walk up charlotte street and talk about the old days.

Really pleased to have made your day with the photo!

Seeing photos of where they all lived helps bring their stories to life doesn't it.

Hope seeing it brings back happy memories for your Mom too.

Small world eh?

Enjoy your walk down Charlotte Street and if you do pop into the Queens raise a glass to Ada and Edward and their many descendants!

In fact, as Logie suggested, it seems that they were more than neighbours. Winifred the wife of Alfred Law was born Winifred King and was the daughter Edward and Ada King.

So, if you are the great grandchild of Edward and Ada then you and Logie appear to be second cousins.
Edward and Ada are my nan and grandad also

Not sure, but I think there were around 30 of us grandchildren. I couldn't guess how many great grandchildren. Just don't ask me to name them all.....

my mom s name was maud she was winifreds sister she married albert hewitt we all was born at 102 chalotte street there was seven of us christine is my cousin

This was M. Myers & Sons pen factory as they prepared to move out of Charlotte Street after 100 years. They had, by 1938, diversified into other pressed articles and needed larger premises. Viv.

8824DCC5-D321-41BC-A532-BFE45A018C2A.jpeg2763907A-9218-482C-B0A4-A7039956CA7B.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back