• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Charlie Chaplin At Aston Hippodrome

paulboyle290

Brummie babby
Hello all.
Following up to the Barton Arms thread I saw a wonderful picture of Stan and Ollie who stayed over night at the Barton's while playing at the Aston Hippodrome.Speaking to some friends about the Hippodrome and other artists whi had performed there one mentioned that Charlie Chaplin had also performed there ... can anyone confirm this ?.

Thank you to the person who posted the Stan and Ollie picture and to all others who post on the Birmingham forum.

All the best..

Paul .

hi paul i was there on the day that that pic was hung in the bartons by the brewery..they had it specially framed about 3 years back..also there was the laurel and hardy appreciation society...had a great afternoon...pretty sure i have read that charlie chaplin also performed there..

lyn

My Grandfather, who died in the 60's and lived Queens Rd, told me Charlie Chaplin had performed at the Aston Hippodrome, he may have said when but I have forgot. Eric

Hi Paul welcome to the Forum. I think it is a common misconception that Laurel & Hardy stayed at the Bartons Arms when they appeared at the Aston Hipp. However, I have read on a number of occasions this is untrue, they stayed in a hotel in the city centre, although they did have a drink in the Bartons.

Laurel & Hardy stayed at the Bartons Arms for a week in 1954. A lot of people have said that Charlie Chaplin also stayed at the Bartons, but there is no evidence of this. Charlie was in Birmingham in 1910 as part of the Fred Karno group (with Stan Jefferson aka Stan Laurel). The question is when did the Bartons become a hotel? If it was after 1910, Charlie could not have stayed there.

Although this thread is about Charlie Chaplin, it seems to have the most mentions of Laurel & Hardy, including their visit to England in 1947. So I thought it appropriate to revive it with a link to This is Your Life (American version) in 1954 - a thoroughly enjoyable 25 minutes:-

Maurice :)

Back