• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Winn (valves) Ltd

Hi. This thread is of interest to me as my father worked for Charles Winn for years. I think he started working there in the 50’s but not 100% certain. I know that in approx. 1966 he was asked to relocate to Sunderland to open their new factory there, making predominantly ships valves. I was only 4 at the time but I know he had a very good job. He had a serious accident there when manoeuvring a 1.5t machine into place, the hoist/pulley broke and the machine fell onto his foot. it broke very bone!
we moved back to Birmingham (well, Halesowen) in 1969/70 where he carried on working for them until redundancy in 1976ish. If anyone has any more info or photos I would be so grateful. His name was Reg Walder and I believe he was a shop manager. ‍

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_124733.jpg
    IMG_20200603_124733.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 27
Hi. This thread is of interest to me as my father worked for Charles Winn for years. I think he started working there in the 50’s but not 100% certain. I know that in approx. 1966 he was asked to relocate to Sunderland to open their new factory there, making predominantly ships valves. I was only 4 at the time but I know he had a very good job. He had a serious accident there when manoeuvring a 1.5t machine into place, the hoist/pulley broke and the machine fell onto his foot. it broke very bone!
we moved back to Birmingham (well, Halesowen) in 1969/70 where he carried on working for them until redundancy in 1976ish. If anyone has any more info or photos I would be so grateful. His name was Reg Walder and I believe he was a shop manager. ‍
i started for chas winns in 1966 and trained for the sunderland factory in birmingham.have attached a photo that was in the sunderland echo at the time.one of my first jobs was up at your new house in houghton-le-spring putting your curtain rails up.i was with the company till 1969.text me if anymore infor required.

in sunderland 1966 till around 1970,i worked there
John, thank you for your memories. It means a lot to me. You worked in our house in HLS! That’s amazing. I was only small....about 4. My brothers would have been 9 and 14. It’s a shame my dad isn’t on that photo.

mr roy hattersley mp opened the sunderland factory in 1966.was one of the board of trade ventures,but when the grants ran out,and winns got their foot in the door with the shipbuilding contracts .closed it down.think i;m the youngest on the photo i was 21.

Nice to get some 1960s info from John Wharton and that debbpic got some answers. As previously said, I only started in 1974 so would not recognise any of those names (apart from Roy Hattersley).

I wonder John, if you remember much about my Dad? I know it was over 50 years ago but I love the stories about him. I miss them and him. Do your remember his secretary Terry? I met her once I think when I was about 5/6 and thinking how glamorous she was.

I wonder John, if you remember much about my Dad? I know it was over 50 years ago but I love the stories about him. I miss them and him. Do your remember his secretary Terry? I met her once I think when I was about 5/6 and thinking how glamorous she was.
terrys mother lived near me,if she was visiting her i;d get a lift home,always had a ciggy in her mouth.she was old school and did;nt mince her words.the foreman in the picture was the first one we had james stewart,he soon moved on,i also remember seeing my first computer drilling machine in there, my mate billy stevenson worked it,your dad used to do programs for it.all the machines were brand new in 1966 i believe most went down to birmingham,when it closed.in 1970.the house you lived in was a new build when you got it.i worked in it before you moved in,getting it ship-shape think we did some gardening as well.take care.ps on the photo i;m second from the end,backrow. two years before i got married

Thank you John so much. Do you remember the accident my dad had? We’re you there then? I don’t remember it as I was only young but the story is horrible and he never walked properly afterwards. He broke every bone in his foot!

Thank you John so much. Do you remember the accident my dad had? We’re you there then? I don’t remember it as I was only young but the story is horrible and he never walked properly afterwards. He broke every bone in his foot!
debb really cannot put any light on that one,maybe when the machines were getting taken

Yes it was when they were bringing in some machine and the chain/ rope broke and it dropped on his foot
i think it must have been when i was training down birmingham june/july 1966,your dad was up at sunderland setting the place up before we came back,when i think he did have a problem with his foot.did it trouble him in later life? john

right been in touch with a man who started as a lad in 1967 ,and your dads accident was before that.he says he wore a special shoe.i must have been down birmingham when it happened.i was one of the first to start there your dad interviewed me at southwick labour exchange.may- ish 1966

Post #38. I remember that day. We had moved from Granville St to Warwick St Bordesley the year before. We always called the Managing Director Bill Maddocks.

Incidentally, one of Charles Winn's Grandsons was Godfrey Winn, the journalist & television broadcaster of the 50s and 60s.
Godfrey Winn was born on 15th October 1906 in Kings Norton and attended King Edward's School. I assume this is the High School and not one of the Grammar Schools.

Back