• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Wade Ltd Iron & Steel

brummie nick

master brummie
Hi , any chance of a look up in Kelly's for, Charles Wade Iron and Steel Works.?
Not sure if its Aston Road or Aston Street.

TIA Nick

In 1912 it was

Wade Charles & Co. constructional engineers, Midland iron​
wrks. Aston rd.

No number, but it was between 223 and 230 so presumably was 224-229. It was on west side just past the junction with corporation st as on this 1913 map. The midland iron works are quite clear.
Mike

map_wade___co_midland_iron_works~0.jpg

I remember Wades was between Pritchard Street and Midland Counties which ties up with Mikes map. As a lad I used to walk past there of an evening going to meet my dad leaving Powell Bros. which was further along Aston Road on the other side in the direction of the city.

Thanks for the map Mike, It looks quite a big area the factory covered, in our family 'history' its said my G Grandfather sold the land that Wade's built their factory on.
Nick

Hi, used to work at Wades 1963/1964 as a trainee mechanic
The main factory was on Aston road and streched down Pritchett street
on the corner there was a public house a bicycle shop and a cafe before our workshop,there was also a second department that handeled ledloy and bright steel the fleet of trucks were commer bright red with gold schrift

Back