• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Short

Brummiebell

master brummie
Charles was my Great uncle and I have only recently found what I believe to be his WW1 records on the forces Genealogy site. Only problem is that the info I have on him from the family is that he was captured in the Balklands and sent to a salt mine as a prisoner of war died there. problem is someone found his record card and said that he was sent back home to be demobbed, and it does sound if it were him. Problem is that all say that he died and I cant find any trace of him either as Short or as Tonks, after the absentee voters list in 1918 where he was listed in DCLI. Did Charles come home or have I got the wrong records for him? He isn't listed as a POW or on the CWG. So it is very odd and the records that I found do seem to match also the battalion has a log entry that four men went missing on the day the record shows him going missing on. It is just the fact that the medal card for this record says that he survived and the family don't. Does anyone have him on a voters list or anywhere after 1918 please. I found a photo of him in a draw and no one even knew who he was at first It seems so sad that he gave his life for his country and no one even remembered him. Any help much appricated Maria

Brummiebell

Don't know if this helps a little, but as well as in 1918 at 8 court 3 Howe Street he is also listed in 1919 16318 Private 8 D.C.L.I.

Suzanne

16318 Charles Short at 8 court 3 Howe Street in 1919
1922-1930 at 15 court 3 Howe Street with Sarah Short (and with a Kate Keye in 1930. Kate Tonks married Alfred Keye in MARCH 1916)
A Harry and Sarah Ann Short lived at 8 court 3 Howe Street
And would this be the same person?
At 26 Howe St Birmingham in 1911 Charles Short (born 1888 )son of Harry and Sarah, with sisters Rose, Kate and Clara?

Short C Pte Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry
He was mobilised from the Reserve at the outbreak of war and in 1915 landed at Salonika.
There he played a prominent part in the heavy fighting on the Vardar,Dolras and Stromar fronts and in the capture of Monastir,but was taken prisoner.
Released after the Armistice,he returned home and was discharged in February 1919 holding the 1914-1915 Star and the General Service and Victory Medals.
Home address: 3 Court 15 House Howe Street,Ashted,Birmingham

Well done ladylinda!!! Excellent find. Just goes to show how family history can be retold with bits added and omitted:)

Suzanne

Back