• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Pitt, born 1863 Dudley, Worc., England; (infirmity--deaf and dumb)

cookecutter

proper brummie kid
Several of my ancestors are missing from the 1891 England Census, especially those who lived in Dudley. Both Charles Pitt and his mother, Priscilla Pitt Harrison have still not been located in many months of research. They both reappear in 1901 and 1911, still in Dudley. All the census records for Charles note that he is deaf and dumb. I've already checked the Dudley Union Workhouse for 1891 with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

MWS

master brummie
They seem to be listed on findmypast in 1891 - Priscilla J Harrison b1838, Sarah Harrison b1872 and Charles Pitt b1864 living in Dudley.

cookecutter

proper brummie kid
Thank you--that's wonderful! Do you by any chance have the street address where they were living? I might be able to locate them on Ancestry's 1891 Census with that detail.

MWS

master brummie
I'm sorry, I don't have a subscription but I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Though, taking the parish, district and sub district from familysearch and searching on ancestry gives no results so the whole section might be missing.

bewdley

master brummie
Hi If you search for Rose Hill born 1878 Dudley on Ancestry you will find the entry. Charles Pitt has been added to the Hill family in error. Their address is 11 Holland Street, Dudley.

Hope you find them.

Thanks for the lead MWS I took one of the other names off census form on FMP and it paid off.

charles pitt 1891 census.jpg

cookecutter

proper brummie kid
Success at last! It took a while to figure out how to save the record correctly since it was entered incorrectly on the Ancestry site, but I finally got it. Who knows how many other "missing" records have similar errors? By the way, Charles eventually got married to a girl from Dudley and they lived just a few houses down from this address on Holland Street with their little girl (my grandmother). Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out with this.

MWS

master brummie
A great result, well found Bewdley.

It's amazing how close families used to live - not like that nowadays.