• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Foster R.War.Reg.

L

lappylugs3

Can anybody help,i`ve really hit a brick wall with this one.About six months ago i was lucky enough to obtain a group of medals from a work colleague that belonged to his mother`s uncle.They had been in his loft for 30 odd years.I said i would try to find out as much about him as i could.My friend`s mother refers to him as "Uncle Charles" though her memory of him is somewhat faded!The medals are in a small wooden box with a newspaper cutting showing a photo of 13 men at a reunion-all wearing their medals.These men are members of the Boer War Veterans Association at their annual dinner at the Crown Hotel.I believe the cutting dates from the 1950`s."Uncle Charles is identified in the picture by family members.The medals he is wearing as far as i can make out comply to the medals in the box.The medals are as follows:-Queens South Africa bars Cape Colony,Orange Free State,Relief of Ladysmith,Transvaal,Kings South Africa bars 1901,1902.These medals are named 8919 corp.s. FOSTER KRRF.There is a Victorian Volunteer Lond Service Medal (un-named),A 1914-15 trio named 1793 SJT.C.S.FOSTER and a WW2 Defence Medal(un-named).The family tell me these medals all relate to the same man.I`ve got his MIC card which says he served with the R.WAR.REG and later the ASC.His address is given as 1110 Coventry Rd,Hay Mills.The journal for the KRRC that he served with the 3rd Bttn. and was the only man taken POW at the battle of the Twin Peaks(Adjacent to Spion Kop) and that after being released in 1902 ha stayed in South Africa.This is all i can find out.Can i prove this was the same man-why are the medals named differently?I can find no trace of any service papers and haven`t got a clue on the 1901 cencus.Any tips would be very welcome. PS. on his MIC his theatre of war was Egypt 1915 which might suggest he served in Gallipoli. -Kevin.

Back