• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Charles Ernest Wilson Journeyman Baker / Confectioner

F

fourlambs

Hello all,
I am looking for some help with my GG grandfather, Charles Ernest Wilson, who was a baker/confectioner shopkeeper in the Aston area... late 1800 - early 1900.

Reports from family suggest he used to roam the streets with a van, selling bread etc.

In 1891 he is living in Alston St, Aston and in 1901 he was livng in King Edward Road, Aston.

Perhaps there is another website dedicated to searching this type of history ?? ??? It would be nice to get some old photos of these streets in that era, ultimately... a picture of his shopfront ! :p

All help appreciated

Phil

Journeyman Baker

I have checked a few Kelly's found him living at 273 King Edwards Road it's only listed as a residence and not a shop going by the information I have looked at he was a baker, but he must have been working for a company if you have any other information regarding this I will try and check out for you.
Do you have any definite dates ?

fourlambs, there are several bakers/confectioners in my family, although some seemed to diversify in the late 1900 into grocery because there were some large bakeries like Hindley's taking over.
Here is a photo I have posted before of Aston Bakers on an outing to the Swan Hotel Yardley. The photo was taken about 1900 as my great uncle David Jennings seated first left died in 1901. I wonder if Charles is in the photo???

Back