• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chapman Road Small Heath

ValerieWhiles

proper brummie kid
Have you any photos of Small Heath? My grandfather had his butchers shop on the corner of Chapman road until it was bombed in 1940. It i think 353 Coventry Road. I'd reallly love to have a picture of it! I was born in Chapman Road and lived with my family there at no. 22 and then No 19. Any photos of this road, please?

Can anyone help Valerie please ? I’ve had a quick look through our Small Heath thread and a few others, but can’t see anything. Having said that I don’t know Small Heath, so some Small Heath photos already on the site may show the building.

Could we first confirm the number of the butcher’s shop on Coventry Road please ? Thanks.

Viv.

Yes. I can confirm that it was 353 Coventry Road. The name was Thomas G Whiles. Actually, his father Joseph Whiles, my great grandfather, had the tenancy of Blakesley Hall and my grandfather lived there as a child! I contacted Blakesley Hall some 15 years ago and had a conducted tour of the beautifully refurbished house with the Curator there. I was actually able to supply her with a photo of my great grandfather.
My grandfather had the shop (No 353) and house behind it on the corner of Chapman Road with Coventry Road from 1893 (about) to 1940 when the Luftwaffe bombed it. My father Rowland moved to 22 Chapman Road taking my then elderly grandfather with him. Later we moved to 19 Chapman Road, a better house!
I'd love to have a picture of any of these buildings... Thanks for the assistance and interest.
V

There is this aerial photo of part of Chapman Road taken three years (1937) before the Luftwaffe bombed it. Chapman Road runs from centre right to Coventry Road on the left.
ChapmanRoad1937.jpg

Many thanks for this! It's closer than I've ever reached before...! The aerial view is difficult for me to tie in with very old memories as I am not a spring chicken any more! I wasn't born in 1940...
When the shop was bombed in 1940, my father took his dad down Chapman Road and literally 'squatted' no 22! It had no door so he put one on it and rescued some of the less damaged furniture from the old house plus his pre-war cache of sugar and tea! He had to find somewhere that night for himself and his father to sleep. Ever resourceful, my Dad! He negotiated a rent with the landlord.
He then went to work at W Tays the butchers on the main Coventry Road. Some people may remember that shop?

This (unfortunately low res) aerial view taken in 1945 shows a cleared bomb site at the junction of Chapman Rd and Coventry Rd. It looks like several bombs landed in that small area with other cleared sites nearby.
1945ChapmanRd.jpg

Valerie’s account is interesting of how her family dealt with being bombed out of their home. I expect Small Heath was especially targeted because of the BSA. Viv.

Last edited:
22 Chaman Road is the opposite end of the road from the Coventry Road.
1950s map red marker is on no 22. Green dot where 353m would have been.
1627299190422.png

Many thanks to everyone who provided these fascinating entries! So kind of you! I will reply individually too.
Regards
Val W

Thank you for the map. You have pin-pointed the site of my Grandfather's shop very clearly. He was a very well known figure: he was well educated and played the piano wonderfully. He was also an immensely talented artist. He lived with us at 22 until he died when I was 3: I remember the whole area turned out for the funeral in 1945. The shop took a direct hit by the Luftwaffe and was entirely demolished. We were so near the BSA and Joseph Lucas and Guest Keen and Nettlefold.

The entry from Kelly's is so interesting. My Great Grandfather and my Great Great Grandfather were mentioned in Birmingham trade and business directories as running their business from 34 Congreve St from the early 1800s. I believe that one of my Great grandfather's businesses was a tavern which was actually on the site of Birmingham Art Gallery. I have a 'truck' piece fom it!

Back