• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chancellor's Hall

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday acquired this postcard of the said building in Birmingham. From the photo and the card design it must be pre WW1 and probably pre 1900, so presumably nothing to do with the University. any ideas as to where it is/was (most likely was I'm afraid)

Chancellor's Hall Birmingham.jpg

Looks to have been called The Dales before becoming the Chancellor's Hall, and the home of George Dixon. Shown on revised 1938 Map as Chancellor's Hall but on the 1914 as The Dales.

Interesting as the George Dixon site say there are no surviving photos of the Dales.

Interesting. Obviously the design and "look" of the card fooled me as to age.

Looks like the building was demolished and in 1972 Bryant were selling exclusive 4 bed detached at Chancellor’s Hall.

George Dixon was in possession of The Dales from around 1850 when he took out a 99 year lease from Lord Calthorpe.

I’m writing the history of Edgbaston Archery & Lawn Tennis Society, the oldest lawn tennis club in the world. George Dixon was a member of the Society when it was Edgbaston Archery Society in the 1860s. I wonder wether you’d be happy to send me a high resolution (409dpi) copy of the postcard. I should add that the book is a bit fir profit excercusr. It will be freely available on the Society’s web site and, if we can raise the cash, there might be a limited 160th anniversary edition circulated to members and interested parties.

Robert
If you send me your email address by private message (envelope on top rh of page), then will gladly send it to you

I’m writing the history of Edgbaston Archery & Lawn Tennis Society, the oldest lawn tennis club in the world. George Dixon was a member of the Society when it was Edgbaston Archery Society in the 1860s. I wonder wether you’d be happy to send me a high resolution (409dpi) copy of the postcard. I should add that the book is a bit fir profit excercusr. It will be freely available on the Society’s web site and, if we can raise the cash, there might be a limited 160th anniversary edition circulated to members and interested parties.
Hello Robert
You may be interested in the attached images taken from: "The Dales" Growing Up in a Victorian Family by Katie Rathbone 1861-1948, edited by Bob and Harlan Walker and privately printed in 1989. Katie was the daughter of George Dixon. It contains only one photograph of the exterior (together with the attached painting) but it does contain many images of the interior during George Dixon's tenancy.

Attachments

• Dales 01.jpg
    Dales 01.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 26
  • Dales 02.jpg
    Dales 02.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Dales 03.jpg
    Dales 03.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 27
Hello Robert
You may be interested in the attached images taken from: "The Dales" Growing Up in a Victorian Family by Katie Rathbone 1861-1948, edited by Bob and Harlan Walker and privately printed in 1989. Katie was the daughter of George Dixon. It contains only one photograph of the exterior (together with the attached painting) but it does contain many images of the interior during George Dixon's tenancy.
These images are really interesting and add a lot to my knowledge of the popularity of archery at this time. Many thanks.

Thanks Tony. I’ve just purchased a copy and a first quick scan has revealed quite a bit of useful information not only about Dixon but several other contemporary members of the Society.

Yesterday acquired this postcard of the said building in Birmingham. From the photo and the card design it must be pre WW1 and probably pre 1900, so presumably nothing to do with the University. any ideas as to where it is/was (most likely was I'm afraid)

View attachment 134250
Hi, I live in one of the houses built in the grounds of The Dales/Chancellor's Hall and I am looking into the history of the area for our residents' association, as we know that it is 50 years since the first residents moved into the new homes. Would you mind if I took a copy of the postcard to show to our members?

Hello Robert
Hi Tony,
I am looking into the history of the area for our residents' association, as we live in the houses built on the grounds of The Dales/Chancellor's Hall in 1972. We are trying to pull information together as it is the 50th anniversary of the first residents moving in. Would you mind if I used your information to share with the members of the residents' association.
Kind regards,
Carol Ann

I have found a photograph of the back of the house, taken from the far side of the pond, together with one of the interior of the entrance hall from 1930, when the house was called Chancellor's Hall in a publication Images of England Edgbaston compiled by Martin Hampson and published by Birmingham City Council Department of Leisure and Community Services and Tempus Publishing in 1999. ISBN: 0 7524 1810 6

hi CAF and welcome i am sure it would be fine for you to show your members the postcard you mentioned...we would love to see that photo of the back of the house that you have....many thanks

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: CAF
Back