• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chancellor's Hall

hi CAF and welcome i am sure it would be fine for you to show your members the postcard you mentioned...we would love to see that photo of the back of the house that you have....many thanks

lyn
Hi Lyn,
Many thanks. I have attached a pdf of the photographs, but I'm sorry my scanner isn't the best.
Best wishes,
Carol Ann

Attachments

• Photos of Chancellor's Hall in 1930 from 'Images of England Edgbaston' compiled by Martin Hamp...pdf
    351 KB · Views: 21
Hi, I live in one of the houses built in the grounds of The Dales/Chancellor's Hall and I am looking into the history of the area for our residents' association, as we know that it is 50 years since the first residents moved into the new homes. Would you mind if I took a copy of the postcard to show to our members?
No problem at all. do take a copy.
With regard to your photo, I have a copy of the book , and I think this is a slightly better scan
Chancellors Hall.jpg

mike i know i keep saying it but what on earth were the powers that be thinking of allowing this building to be demolished...of course as we all know lessons have never been learnt...so sad as today it would be a great tourist attraction

lyn

I've only just come across this website and these posts, so hope this is still a live issue. I'm a Birmingham University Graduate who lived in the Chancellor's Hall of Residence for three years in the early 1960s. I've maintained my contact with the University through my membership of the Chancellor's Hall Association who met regularly for a reunion before Covid struck. I contributed to a small volume which the Association published called Chancellor's Hall (1922-1970) - A complete history with reminiscences and anecdotes - 79 pages in paperback. I attach a scan of the front and back covers. It is deposited in the University Archives and there are spare copies available from the Association. I have photographs of the Hall during my time there and have often visited the site on my reunion trips. I could supply further details if this is of interest. Not being familiar with this site, I'm unsure as to how I would pick up any responses save for visiting the site regularly. So bear with me if there is a delay.

Attachments

• A Complete History of Chancellor's Hall.pdf
    481.8 KB · Views: 10
I've only just come across this website and these posts, so hope this is still a live issue. I'm a Birmingham University Graduate who lived in the Chancellor's Hall of Residence for three years in the early 1960s. I've maintained my contact with the University through my membership of the Chancellor's Hall Association who met regularly for a reunion before Covid struck. I contributed to a small volume which the Association published called Chancellor's Hall (1922-1970) - A complete history with reminiscences and anecdotes - 79 pages in paperback. I attach a scan of the front and back covers. It is deposited in the University Archives and there are spare copies available from the Association. I have photographs of the Hall during my time there and have often visited the site on my reunion trips. I could supply further details if this is of interest. Not being familiar with this site, I'm unsure as to how I would pick up any responses save for visiting the site regularly. So bear with me if there is a delay.
I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of the booklet as I am researching/writing the history of Edgbaston Archery & Lawn Tennis Society. George Dixon and members of his family were members. Would you provide contact details for the appropriate person at the Association please?

Thanks for this, Robert and my fear of lack of notification has been allayed as I had a 'ping' on my computer pointing me to the message from BHF. I will be very pleased to put you in touch with the person who has the copies but you'll appreciate that I need to get their consent to supply the contact details before I can provide them. Shouldn't take too long, hopefully.

You can send details privately using the message system on the forum.
Click on Robert's name next to his avatar and then "start conversation". That will be private between the two of you.

Hi, I live in one of the houses built in the grounds of The Dales/Chancellor's Hall and I am looking into the history of the area for our residents' association, as we know that it is 50 years since the first residents moved into the new homes. Would you mind if I took a copy of the postcard to show to our members?
Hi CAF. Just for interest, a screenshot of The Dales / Chancellors Hall from 1887 Ordnance Survey Map. Annoyingly The Dales is across two bits of the map.

Attachments

• The Dales_west map.png
    The Dales_west map.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • The Dales_east map.png
    The Dales_east map.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Back