• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chance Glass Factory

Lozellian,

Almost a claim to fame them! I presume that Chance was her maiden name then? I must admit that I hadn't heard of the company until Wendy opened this thread in 2007, but it's nice to have a bit of Brum industrial history linked to the name.

Maurice

Hello sospiri,

According to the information that was passed onto me recently, she married into the chance family. It's my understanding that although I'm not 100% sure that her maiden name was Medlicott.

Lozellian.

Lozellian,

After a short search, I must admit that I can't spot a Hannah Medlicott / Chance marriage, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist!

Maurice

Lozellian,

After a short search, I must admit that I can't spot a Hannah Medlicott / Chance marriage, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist!

Maurice

Hello sospiri,

Know what you mean, all I can seem to find out was that it was her second marriage after being widowed previously but, as you know research is a painstaking activity.

Lozellian.

mike i got a bit closer a couple of years back...note the guard dog behind the bars photo 1..he was not very happy at all lol

once again i say well done to the people of the black country...they really DO care about their history and historical buildings and to boot a plaque which i did not know about...:)
Outstanding...…...

My Gt Gt Grandfather William Blackhall ( an ex soldier and Irishman) was Night Watchman there in the mid 1800's until his death in 1867 - some of his offspring worked there as well as glass blowers/ labourers etc... Fanatstic place - made the glass for the conservatory at Witley Court - and the Great exhibition of 1851

Last edited:
Dont forget one of the world greatest manufacturers of ornamental glass was F & C Osler in Broad Street, Birmingham. The son of the founder also paid for the Bells of Big Brum! Several lovely pieces of Osler Glass are exhibited in BMAG

Very true Penns, but, on this thread we are discussing Chance's. If you would like to start a thread about Oslers, there does not seem to be one on the forum at present

ive been watching this building for many years now..do hope its bought back to life again...my grandad worked there during the 1920s

lyn

By coincidence I rode past it on my bike today. I also know the Trust chairman Mike. Ill see him in a couple of weeks, so will have a chat about where they are with things.

My gt gt grandfather was the Nighwatchman there in the 1850's. The Victorian equivalent of the modern Security man...He was a discharged soldier having done 25 years .. I've seen his wage record those sons / grandsons that didn't go in the army were glass blowers

so pleased that this building built 1837 seems to be getting a move on now....grandad worked here in the 1920s..

Good news that The Chance Glassworks will be preserved, with a lighthouse too. Lizard Lighthouse in Cornwall can be visited and the dazzling optics were made by Chance Glass (had to dig about to check though as Trinity House don't see the glass manufacturer as a historical feature). Astonishing to me is that they use ordinary electric lightbulbs, it is the glass which forms the beam.IMG_1128.jpeg

Good news that The Chance Glassworks will be preserved, with a lighthouse too. Lizard Lighthouse in Cornwall can be visited and the dazzling optics were made by Chance Glass (had to dig about to check though as Trinity House don't see the glass manufacturer as a historical feature). Astonishing to me is that they use ordinary electric lightbulbs, it is the glass which forms the beam.View attachment 170774
I remember visiting the Lizard Lighthouse when I was on holiday in Cornwall with my family years ago, we were told that the optics were made in Birmingham and my Dad didn't hesitate to say proudly that we were from Brum!

I remember visiting the Lizard Lighthouse when I was on holiday in Cornwall with my family years ago, we were told that the optics were made in Birmingham and my Dad didn't hesitate to say proudly that we were from Brum!
Good for Dad, we should not be shy of our past and present achievements!

Back