• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chance Glass Factory

LOZELLIAN

master brummie
Lozellian,

Almost a claim to fame them! I presume that Chance was her maiden name then? I must admit that I hadn't heard of the company until Wendy opened this thread in 2007, but it's nice to have a bit of Brum industrial history linked to the name.

Maurice
Hello sospiri,

According to the information that was passed onto me recently, she married into the chance family. It's my understanding that although I'm not 100% sure that her maiden name was Medlicott.

Lozellian.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Lozellian,

After a short search, I must admit that I can't spot a Hannah Medlicott / Chance marriage, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist!

Maurice

LOZELLIAN

master brummie
Lozellian,

After a short search, I must admit that I can't spot a Hannah Medlicott / Chance marriage, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist!

Maurice
Hello sospiri,

Know what you mean, all I can seem to find out was that it was her second marriage after being widowed previously but, as you know research is a painstaking activity.

Lozellian.

Richarddye

master brummie
mike i got a bit closer a couple of years back...note the guard dog behind the bars photo 1..he was not very happy at all lol

once again i say well done to the people of the black country...they really DO care about their history and historical buildings and to boot a plaque which i did not know about...:)
Outstanding...…...

maggie7858

Brummie babby
My Gt Gt Grandfather William Blackhall ( an ex soldier and Irishman) was Night Watchman there in the mid 1800's until his death in 1867 - some of his offspring worked there as well as glass blowers/ labourers etc... Fanatstic place - made the glass for the conservatory at Witley Court - and the Great exhibition of 1851

Last edited:

Penns

master brummie
Dont forget one of the world greatest manufacturers of ornamental glass was F & C Osler in Broad Street, Birmingham. The son of the founder also paid for the Bells of Big Brum! Several lovely pieces of Osler Glass are exhibited in BMAG

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very true Penns, but, on this thread we are discussing Chance's. If you would like to start a thread about Oslers, there does not seem to be one on the forum at present

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ive been watching this building for many years now..do hope its bought back to life again...my grandad worked there during the 1920s

lyn

Morturn

Super Moderator
By coincidence I rode past it on my bike today. I also know the Trust chairman Mike. Ill see him in a couple of weeks, so will have a chat about where they are with things.

DavidGrain

master brummie
The Chance Heritage Trust have an open day at Smethwick Library from 11.00am tomorrow (29th February) during which they will explain their plans for the future of the site. There will also be expert valuations of any Chance's glassware that any one would like to bring along.

This video might be of interest