• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chamberlin/Chamberlain & Hookham

The Baron

master brummie
As any one any memories of "Chamberline & Hookham" New Bartholomew Street.
I did 6 months working at that factory as part of my early GEC WITTON Apprenticeship.
I was told it used to be a workhouse? any one confirm that?

Before it was chamberline & hookham it was smith & chamberline. From 1849 to about 1862 it was timothy smith & sons. So, if it were a worknouse it would have to be before 1849
Mike

Thanks for that mikejee, May be it was just the Guys I worked with way of trying to get me jumpy, the place was quite dim with very Victorian windows, some very dark nooks & crannies plus a four sided court yard in the middle of the factory.
The one thing I remember most at the time was the method of clocking in, you had to take a brass disc of the board with your hook on it & the place it on another board with a identical hook,if you were over 2minutes late you had to wait out side till the office staff came in,then you would be put in the late book.
HOW VICTORIAN WAS THAT?
GEC used clock cards at clocking in stations.

I worked here in 1960 and started off as a junior clerk under a Mrs Clay who was firm but fair. Sheila was the telephonist and
taught me how to use the switchboard. There were three young men I remember, George, Iver and Larry. I went with the
chauffeur to the main post office to load the franking machine. I also had to make Mr.Moss his coffee in the morning and
tea in the afternoon. When the post arrived it was my job to take it round to the different offices.
I have fond memories of Chamberlain and Hookham and often wonder what happened to those I worked with.
My name is Shirley so if there is anybody out there who remembers me I would love to hear from them.

I worked here in 1960 and started off as a junior clerk under a Mrs Clay who was firm but fair. Sheila was the telephonist and
taught me how to use the switchboard. There were three young men I remember, George, Iver and Larry. I went with the
chauffeur to the main post office to load the franking machine. I also had to make Mr.Moss his coffee in the morning and
tea in the afternoon. When the post arrived it was my job to take it round to the different offices.
I have fond memories of Chamberlain and Hookham and often wonder what happened to those I worked with.
My name is Shirley so if there is anybody out there who remembers me I would love to hear from them.
My old dad worked at Chamberlain and Hookham for about 18 years in the fifties and sixties until it closed down. He worked in MD4 shop, named Ray Jones. Every day apart from Sunday, he'd walk from Ladywood where we lived to the factory and back again,couldn't afford transport or even bus fare.The best thing I remember was the children's Christmas party. Entertainment from comedians and magicians then a slap up party,everything you would expect has a child at a party. Then you get a present from Santa and a brown paper bag full of sweets colouring books pencils. Finally they'd show you where you parent worked and the machine he operated. You'd be then collected to home. Best afternoons of my life. Beautiful fond memories. God bless you dad.

My father worked there in the Toolroom until some time in the mid/late sixties I think, though I don't know from when because at first I was far too young for that to register ... I reckon he would have been there for at least 10-12 years or more however.

I don't have any personal memories of the place beyond that I knew initially that it was somewhere in Town, partly because as a small child and for a while after I occasionally visited the place with him for one or other reason and so got to see where he worked.

Also, as a keen fisherman he would now and then go with a coachload of others on a works-outing type of thing for an arranged fishing trip to somewhere like Earlswood Lakes and sometimes farther afield. They would leave from outside the Works entrance in the early morning and get back in the early evening, and when I got my drivers license (and more than a couple of times before!) I would drive him there early a.m. and then be there again to bring him home when the coach returned in the evening.

Here is a photo I have of him (centre) and a few others taken sneakily one lunchtime in his workshop by another of his friends there ... not dated but I'd go with early 60s.

He never had a bad thing to say about C&H, liked the people and enjoyed his job right up to when he left for a better opportunity elsewhere.

site (85).jpg

I see from the recently released 1921 UK census that my half-uncle Sidney Cross age 20 worked there as "Assistant hardening magnets" and his brother Leonard age 19 as "Assistant Stores Man".

My old dad worked at Chamberlain and Hookham for about 18 years in the fifties and sixties until it closed down. He worked in MD4 shop, named Ray Jones. Every day apart from Sunday, he'd walk from Ladywood where we lived to the factory and back again,couldn't afford transport or even bus fare.The best thing I remember was the children's Christmas party. Entertainment from comedians and magicians then a slap up party,everything you would expect has a child at a party. Then you get a present from Santa and a brown paper bag full of sweets colouring books pencils. Finally they'd show you where you parent worked and the machine he operated. You'd be then collected to home. Best afternoons of my life. Beautiful fond memories. God bless you dad.
only just catching up with this thread...what lovely memories trevor....thanks

lyn

Back