• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chamberlain's visit to Haseley Hall

craiguito

master brummie
My nan used to talk about having her picture in the Birmingham Mail as a child because Neville Chamberlain visited Haseley Hall, where she was resident for a while, in the early 30s. I've tried Googling this information but have drawn a blank.
Does anyone know any more about this story? I'd rather have a narrower timeframe before I start trawling through years' worth of newspaper archives.

Many thanks in advance

st.evenlucy

master brummie
Hi, My Mom was at Hasley hall when she was a child after having Rheumatic fever , she often talks about the time spent there Mom was born in 1921 so is now 93 years old let me know if your mother can remember anything about the hall in the early 1930s.The only name she remembered was a lady called Agnes who was older than mom and took her under her wing. Mom says it was like being in a private school, and they were treated very well.

craiguito

master brummie
Hi there, it was my nan who was there, unfortunately she passed away in 2008. My nan was born in 1920, and was probably there around the same time as your mom. She used to talk about walking up a staircase backwards, which always puzzled us. I went to the library archive department today and read a few accounts of children who were there who also talked about walking up the stairs backwards - it was to stop them running and putting pressure on their heart!
I have an appointment next week to look through some newspaper cuttings.

st.evenlucy

master brummie
Hi, My Mom also talks about walking up the stairs backwards, ( to make sure they did it slowly ). She loved the time spent there and said they were treated like Princesses, had someone to brush their hair , lovely clothes and a hat for walking out. I believe they had lessons in the mornings only. Because Mom and one or two of the other girls were Catholic, ataxi would pick them up on Sundays to take them to Mass , and the other girls had a church service at the hall or were taken to the village. Parents could visit every month (if they could afford it ) >Mom has never known If the council paid their fees or because her father was an old soldier , maybe it was a benevolent fund. . Perhaps if you find out any more information you could let me know. Mom does remember that for some reason her family wanted her back home after 2 years , and Her Mother and aunt went to visit one month and tried to take her back home, they weren't allowed without permission as while the girls were there, they were under the care of Birmingham City Council ( WE think )