• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chamberlain King And Jones, Cabinet Makers

johnjoe

looking for information about a company called chamberlain king and jones, cabinet makers.
any information would be appreciated

thanks johnjoe
:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum johnjoe, Kelly's Directory 1895 shows :-

Chamberlain, King & Jones, cabinet makers, carpet factors, upholsterers & decorators, 27 to 30 Union Street & 12 Union Passage, manufactory, 97 Kingston Road, Coventry Road.

The same details appear in 1878, 1883, 1895, and 1900, still trading in 1949 at different address .

And still going Martineau Street 1956.

Colin

I understand (as of 1883) the partners of the business were Emily Chamberlain, James King and J.Alfred Jones.

However, the gentleman I am interested in is a William John Taylor, who by 1904, was signing himself as a director of this company. He was living at 80 Bristol Road, Edgbaston.

And why was he the foremost director setting up the BMMO company of that year? What is the connection between house furnishings and running a motor bus company ?

Thanks

Hello,
My great-grandfather, John Harper, was the manager of Chamberlain, King and Jones [ie. Census 1901] and lived next door or on the premises with his 7 children and extended family. We still have some of their furniture. It was quite a large and prestigious business. Members of the family, and probably the firm too, were responsible for some of the carving at the Birmingham Law Courts.

I would have thought from the practical standpoint, cabinet making and upholstery skills would be an essential requirement in building vehicles of that genre. Wood was a major component in coach building being phased out in the 1950/60s; before we started travelling faster and crash testing became imperative. We still bow to it in our luxury cars today with either plastic or genuine wood veneers.

Sorry not to have been more help but will watch out for any more news on the CKJ front!
Will try to track down a photo of the work force.

I have no information about the company, but just thought I'd add one for the workforce: Charles DeMain, son of Robert (a cabinet maker), worked as a french polisher all his life, and is listed on the 1911 census aged 74, working at Chamberlain, Kings & Jones.

I realise that it is sometime since you left this message but I have only just seen it. My great-grandfather was also John Harper, who my Mother always said managed Chamberlain, King & Jones. She also said her father, my grandfather, had done some of the carvings at the Birmingham Law Courts. I would be interested in any photographs but also to chat more about the family.

In post #5 it is mentioned that William John Taylor is a director of Chamberlain, King and Jones in 1904.
I have found an article about W J Taylor (assuming it is the same man) becoming a director there in 1900. It says Messrs. W J Taylor and Co. had carried on a business for 28 years in the adjoining premises and the two businesses had been amalgamated - allowing Chamberlain, King and Jones to secure the valuable lease of a building Messrs. W J Taylor was having erected by the City Arcade Co., on the corner of Union Street and Union Passage.
Birmingham Daily Post, Friday 30th March 1900.

Attachments

• CKJ_Friday2C_March_302C_1900_part_1.JPG
    CKJ_Friday2C_March_302C_1900_part_1.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 6
  • CKJ_Friday2C_March_302C_1900_part_2.JPG
    CKJ_Friday2C_March_302C_1900_part_2.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 5
  • CKJ_Friday2C_March_302C_1900_part_3.JPG
    CKJ_Friday2C_March_302C_1900_part_3.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 5
harpers - I don't know if this is any help to you in establishing if your relative was involved in the carvings but there is an article describing the Victoria Courts in the Birmingham Daily Post, Wednesday, 22nd July 1891 (the day after the courts opened).
it says:
The internal wood carvings were done by Mr. H. Martyn of Cheltenham.
The furniture was specially executed by Messrs. Chamberlain, King and Jones, from designs by the architect.
It is a very long article so I have just posted the relevant section.

Attachments

• CKJ_Wednesday2C_July_222C_1891_part_1.JPG
    CKJ_Wednesday2C_July_222C_1891_part_1.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 13
  • CKJ_Wednesday2C_July_222C_1891_part_2.JPG
    CKJ_Wednesday2C_July_222C_1891_part_2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 11
New to this forum and came across this thread via a google search. I was looking for info on this office chair which I aquired many years ago from the Bluebird factory at Hunnington. Thought these pictures may be of interest and maybe someone can give me an idea of its age? I am not a native of the midlands and was born and bred in Huntingdonshire but, that doesnt stop me being interested in this site. No idea why the pics are side view they are vertical on my pc.IMG_1319.jpgIMG_1321.jpg

Gosh this is an old thread! I have just joined.
My grandfather (who was an apprentice with the Austin Motor company) bought a house content from Chamberlain King and Jones in 1915 - I have a copy of the hand written bill to £380 8shilling 3 pence.

is anyone interested in a copy if I scan?

Attachments

• 25AB09A3-1EF5-4A69-836B-96D0F12C2FAA.jpeg
    25AB09A3-1EF5-4A69-836B-96D0F12C2FAA.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 11
While we're talking cabinet makers, does anyone know if there's a register of apprentices for the trade?

My dad did a full cabinet makers apprenticeship but at the end couldn't find work in the trade and spent all his working life in engineering, woodworking remained a hobby for him.

I've never been able to find where he trained.

The City and Guilds of London Institute used to keep records of apprentices who had completed their approved vocational training course.

Back