• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chamberlain family

wessex

master brummie
The Chamberlain family.

No doubt Brum's most famous politicians ever.

Joseph the father,followed by his 2 sons Austen and the better known Prime Minister Neville.

Famous of course doesn't mean good,just well known,and these are without doubt very well known.

Joseph_Chamberlain_in_colour.jpg

chamberlain.gif

78659-004-998EE561.jpg

What lovely photo's of Joseph and his son's. My grandmother was a big fan of his and named her two son's after Neville and Austen. Joseph and his wives are buried at Key Hill Cemetery.

What lovely photo's of Joseph and his son's. My grandmother was a big fan of his and named her two son's after Neville and Austen. Joseph and his wives are buried at Key Hill Cemetery.

Hi Wendy,I know Key Hill Cemetery has figured here a number of times.
Sad though that Find a Grave only has 2 enteries for this place,and Joseph is not one of them.If I had a pic of his gravestone I'd put him in myself.

Tim

Here is a photo of Joseph Chamberlain's grave. he could have been buried at Westminster Abbey but declined to be buried with his family in his city. The memorial as you can see is a plain slab no ostentatious headstone for Joe.

That's great wessex I will let you know the plot number and section later. I am off to the cemetery later to join a walk!

Sadly my bio has not been accepted,if anyone would like to write a bio then let me know please.

I have posted this append below on a couple of places on this web site as there are so many forums not sure which one is best (so sorry for the duplicate posts)

Books about Joseph Chamberlain.

I bought a set of books about Joseph Chamberlain in a charity shop about a year ago. Set of 4 volumes in hardback, written by Louis Creswicke. I think published in 1904.

Are these books common or fairly rare? I am not looking to make a lot of money on them and quite happy to give them to a university of other place of learning if they are useful for research.

I found what I think are the books listed on another web site (see below), and this describes my set perfectly. Anyone interested (as I say, not trying to make money, just want them to go to the best home)

THE LIFE OF THE RIGHT HONOURABLE JOSEPH CHAMBERLAIN (4 Volume set); Creswicke, Louis : London, Caxton Publishing Company, 1904. 4 vols large format red cloth with gilt arms on covers, gilt titles and decoration on spines. Pp208 + 200 + 212 + 558, extensive series of portraits, cartoons and other illustrations. All volumes in Very Good condition. All sound and tight with all outer and inner hinges undamaged, small mark on cover of volume I, all block edges slightly soiled with a few spots, few spots on prelims and end pages, internally tight and clean. Detailed biography of leading Birmingham based Liberal politician, Joseph Chamberlain. These 4 volumes look unread and in super condition. Look very handsome on shelf
Ref 103330 : £120.00

There is quite a lot of information about Joseph Chamberlain at The Pen Room (museum) in the Jewellery Quarter I will ask if they have them. They have a brilliant collection of books for anyone to use at the museum. I am not sure if they have these though. Your gesture is a very kind one.

For the benefit of our recent members who may not have seen these pics of J.Chamberlains funeral

Terry

brillient pics terry...smashing piece of brum history...thanks for posting them

lyn

I'd forgotten thos photos Terry, thanks. Shows the gates at Key Hill looking good (as they do now after restoration). Thanks for posting them.

View attachment 64009A GREAT MAN CELEBRATES HIS BIRTHDAY.
This shows Mr.Josph Chamberlain accompanied by Mrs. Chamberlain, arriving for The Lord Mayor's recption and luncheon at the Council House on the eve of his 70th birthday. The picture is dated JULY 7th. 1906

View attachment 64017
Mr. Joseph Chamberlain's birthday celebrations continue with a grand procession of motor-cars to Victoria Park, Small Heath then onto Ward End Park.

Thats a great photo Stitch I have not seen that one before thanks for posting it.

As always Wendy, if it causes a little interest for someone I am happy to post.

... I bought a set of books about Joseph Chamberlain in a charity shop about a year ago. Set of 4 volumes in hardback, written by Louis Creswicke. I think published in 1904...

Guilbert, the splendid books you referred to are available at archive.org as e-texts:
Louis Creswicke. The Life of the Right Honourable Joseph Chamberlain. In Four Volumes. London: Caxton, [1904]. Volume I; Volume II; Volume III; Volume IV. (Just click on the link for the required volume.)
The pictures of Joseph Chamberlain attached below are taken from the frontispieces of Volume II (left) and Volume I (right). There are many more excellent illustrations.

Thank you Thylacine for finding and making these eBooks accessible.

I love eBooks and I love cartoons (even though the meaning is sometimes lost over time) and here is a selection that caught my eye across the 4 volumes, but there are plenty more as well as good quality photos and of course the authoritative text.

Back