• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chamberlain family

Joseph Chamberlain with his third wife Mary Endicott.

Chamberlin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Joseph Chamberlain's grave at Key Hill Cemetery where he is buried with his first two wives the Kendrick cousins who both died in child birth. He had a tragic life as well.
This was probably why he turned down a state funeral at Westminster Abbey.

Joseph_Chamberlain_s_Grave_2007.jpg

Thanks Wendy. The memorial inscription tells a tragic tale. Here is my attempt at a transcription:
"To live is Christ, and to die is gain." / In / memory of / Harriet, / wife of Joseph Chamberlain, / and / daughter of Archibald Kenrick, / died October 22nd 1863, aged 27 years. / "There is no death! What seems so is transition. / This life of mortal breath / Is but a suburb of the life Elysian, / Whose portals we call death." / Also of Florence, daughter of / Timothy Kenrick, / and second wife of the above / Joseph Chamberlain, / and their infant son, / who died February 14th 1879. / Also of Joseph Chamberlain / born July 8th 1836, / died July 2nd 1914.

Last edited:
Having alway's been a fan of the chambelain family,it's nice to see them remembered with these great photo's.
Neville Chamberlain is often only remembered for his "peace in our time" speech,and percieved as being a bit gullible,not so.He was buying time,in one year he organised rationing,evacuation and home defence on a scale never known before.All this was achieved when he was very ill,and thus he left us better able to cope with the events that followed.
He was a great Englishman, and of course, even better, a great Brummie...

The lines beginning "There is no death!" in the Chamberlain MI (post #24) are from a moving poem called "Resignation" by US poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882). This poem was published in The Seaside and the Fireside (Boston: Ticknor, Reed and Fields, 1850). Longfellow wrote the poem a few days after the tragic death of his daughter Fanny (7 April 1847 - 11 September 1848).

Last edited:
View attachment 64076 ..View attachment 64077
The first picture is of some women at their work-place where their children help them. They are at the back of Nos. 12 & 13 Upper Priory and the year is 1872.
The second picture Court No.1 Thomas Street and the year is 1871. These pictures show the squalid conditions that were swept away by Joseph Chamberlain's improvement scheme.

Hello Charlie, yes and because the newspapers were a bit thin on the ground, no T.V. and very few radios, if any and no internet we assume they did not mind or moan. I do understand that if everyone you ever knew or met was living under the same conditions, then you would accept it because you would never know there was better things elsewhere.

There are still buildings like the one in the first pic, in the Jewellery Quarter. Used as workshops and offices now.

Thats true Charlie quite a few in fact but of course they will have electricity installed now. The thing is if you can get into one as I have because my friend had workshops in Caroline Street, you do not need a vivid imagination to understand what it must have been like 150 years ago.

Below are some pictures i took in Vyse St around 1970. they illustrate what Stitcher is saying. The outside one is behind no 99. the inside is around there, possibly inside no 99, but I do not know which building exactly
Mike

29B~0.jpg

31__Back_99_Vyse_stA~0.jpg

Thanks Wendy. The memorial inscription tells a tragic tale. Here is my attempt at a transcription [can someone supply the missing word?]:
"To live is Christ, and to die is —."

I think the missing word is GAIN - this appears on one of my relatives memorial stones

Hellow again mikejee, can you imagine life in one of those small rooms with a family and no electric.

I know what you mean Stitcher. When I was young I never liked the ouside loo , even with a torch.

Mike, I only lived in Ladywood with an ouside loo for a short while, I didn't like it either.

Can we please stay on topic here please folks!

This is a photo of Joseph Chamberlain's 70th Birthday celebrations at Ward End Park.

Chamberlain_70th_Birthday_Ward_End_park~0.jpg

Highbury Hall. Chamberlains home. If anyone is interested there is an open day soon.

Terry

Monday 7 February 2011
History Open Day

Free admission
Doors open at 10.30am
Doors close at 3.30pm

One of three open days during the year, offering you the opportunity to see Joseph Chamberlain’s beautiful Victorian house. All the rooms will be open to view, with Chamberlain memorabilia on display throughout the day. Light refreshments will also be on sale.

Back