• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chamberlain Charles, Chas

Brummiebell

master brummie
Hello, I am trying to help a relative of mine from America with his search for an ancestor. His G Grandmother Sarah Ann Montgomery from Aston Birmingham emigrated to America in the late 1800s and married a mystery man called Charles (chas) Chamberlain. The family are unsure of his background other than his being English and that shortly after her arrival she gave birth to a boy. He was not allowed to live with them however although children from Charles first marriage did. He appears to have been quite wealthy but is a bit of a mystery man. I did find a Charles Chamberlain listed as a border in Witton Hall school when Sarah's elder sister worked there as a matron and wondered if it were he but this Charles is later found in census so unless he travelled back and forth between the two countries it can't be can it. Sarah was a lady's maid and a domestic and the whole family were working class but all emigrated virtually together between 1886 and 1888 noone knows how they afforded it and it seems a bit of a strange pairing between her and Chas. The family ended up heading for the prairies of Nebraska and the Rocky mountains even though Sarah's mother Jane and father Samuel were quite advanced in age. Samuel did not survive the journey and died on the trek, any ideas how I can find out more about Charles, or has anyone got a missing ancestor of the same name. Regards Maria

Re: Charles, Chas Chamberlain

Perhaps it was a marriage of convenience to care for Charles children
IGI records show
Charles Chamberlain b. Illinois 1862 maried Sarah Ann Montgomery b England 25th November 1901 Fairmont Nebraska he was 39 she was 40.
his father listed as E B Chamberlain mother Lodicea.
Charles Chamberlain age 21 had married Josie Clark age 22 in 1882 both born Illinois married Fairmont Nebraska
his parents listed as father Eber B Chamberlain/ mother Lodicia
Josie clark father Thomas Clark mother Mary Montgomery so perhaps when Josie died he married Sarah she may have been a relative of Josie.
Josie was still alive in 1900 as the family are shown on 1900 census
Charles age 38
Josie age 39
son Clarence Charles age 9

Re: Charles, Chas Chamberlain

Sarah had a boy Edgar in 1889 he died in Jefferson county 1957.

records show for Charles Camberlain 2 children Clarence and Bertha born 1901.

Dear Alberta

Thank you so much we didn't have any of that, even my relatives in America. We had no idea about Mary Montgomery, it may explain why they emigrated and whey they chose Fairmont, it was a mystery. There is a family story that Edgar was the result of an affair with a cousin so there may well be connections with Mary and her family, I had wondered if it was one of Janes family. I can't wait to tell them. We will now have to dig further to see how Mary is related to Samuel, I think I have his family tree somewhere so will get digging. Thank you again that helps so much Regards Maria

Have just seen a record for a death of George W Clark born in England 19th March 1853 he died in Oregon in 1920.
His death certificate states he was the son of Thomas Clark born England and
Mary Montgomery born England.
There is birth of George William Clark registered Warwick 1853, Apr/May/June qtr which would fit in with being born in March.

Last edited:
Back