• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

chain walk

sylviasayers

master brummie
Dolly, I'm surprised that Chain Walk is still here, and the houses virtually the same. My older brother and sisters learnt to dance at Madam Amies in Chain Walk.

H

harborne

I used to pass it on the bus every day for years and always wondered why it got such a name.

Chris

jennyann

master brummie
Staff member
I have talked about Madame Amies before on this site and have great memories of going there with my friend Margaret. It was a completely different era back in the late l950's.
The floor specially treated to make dancing easier, the small cafe like area that sold no more than orangeade, coffee, tea and fairy cakes. The special professional dancing couples that visited from time to time, as good as the " Dancing with the Stars" programmes we see now on TV, so glamorous and great to watch. Yes, I abandoned Amies for the "Lockers"(Locarno) in Hurst Street with it's large live band but I have never forgotten the great evenings I spent dancing the night away at Madame Amies.

Di.Poppitt

master brummie
My dad grew up there, in a house behind the back of the ones facing the street..‚.. The houses were lined up in rows, the yards were shared by two houses, and I think there were gates into each yard.‚.. Long time ago and the mind does play tricks.‚.. :-\

Thanks again Pete.

Last edited:
D

dollyferret

they have done a splendid job of renovating all the stonework on and it looks great,apart from the big advert on about the creche facilities it has to offer,

Michael_Ingram

master brummie
Many thanks Dolly. There were lots of trees Peter; there were two in the court outside our backyard gate and plenty in Burbury Street Park.

E

emmachisit

This thread has renewed old memories of Chain Walk. My old friend Tommy Watters used to live in the 2nd or 3rd house down from Lozells Rd. Manys the evening spent there with my elder brother, chatting, playing records, supping on rock cakes and dandelion & burdock. Always finishing up playing cards for matchsticks - pontoon, horsey horsey and snap. That was were I learned to play snap with a man that stuttered. I won every time. This was all pre-war and it wasn't until 1945 that I began to attend "The Coffin" aka Madam Aimies in order to learn 'proper dancing'. Ah happy days. Strict tempo with Victor Sylvester all under the watchful eye of the instructors. :smitten: