• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chadwick end

changinman1

master brummie
Does anyone know if there was at one point two pubs in chadwick end , the orange tree (aka rock candy moutain ) i think....and ther e was another further up in chadwick end going towards warwick ????

B

BernardR

Yes there was a large one opposite the road to Baddesley Clinton. The name will come to me eventually. It became a training centre to licensees then a nightclub and then a Restaurant (might have the last two back to front.

B

BernardR

TOM O'BEDLAM Chadwick End
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A pub that no longer exists, though it was listed in a Warwickshire Directory of 1874. One anecdote from the pub survives. A local man was drinking at the Tom O'Bedlam, a man who had previously been a patient in a Warwickshire asylum. Another drinker called him a lunatic. The former patient replied "No I am not and I have a certificate to prove it". The pub was used as an Ansells Brewery training centre for a time, before being re-invented as a bar called CUDDLES in 1985. After a short spell as GREGORY'S RESTAURANT & BAR, it became the LION ROCK before being demolished for housing in the 1990's.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acknowledgement to CAMRA[/FONT]

changinman1

master brummie
CUDDLES.....THATS WHAT i WAS THINKIN OF.......IN THE 80,S ...WHAT A STOOPID NAME FOR A BAR......SO HAS ANYONE GOT ANY PICCIES OF IT.

B

BernardR

Not sure but from memory it was a typical 1930's style building. More city/town centre looking than a country pub.