• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chadwick end

changinman1

master brummie
Does anyone know if there was at one point two pubs in chadwick end , the orange tree (aka rock candy moutain ) i think....and ther e was another further up in chadwick end going towards warwick ????

Yes there was a large one opposite the road to Baddesley Clinton. The name will come to me eventually. It became a training centre to licensees then a nightclub and then a Restaurant (might have the last two back to front.

TOM O'BEDLAM Chadwick End
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A pub that no longer exists, though it was listed in a Warwickshire Directory of 1874. One anecdote from the pub survives. A local man was drinking at the Tom O'Bedlam, a man who had previously been a patient in a Warwickshire asylum. Another drinker called him a lunatic. The former patient replied "No I am not and I have a certificate to prove it". The pub was used as an Ansells Brewery training centre for a time, before being re-invented as a bar called CUDDLES in 1985. After a short spell as GREGORY'S RESTAURANT & BAR, it became the LION ROCK before being demolished for housing in the 1990's.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acknowledgement to CAMRA[/FONT]

CUDDLES.....THATS WHAT i WAS THINKIN OF.......IN THE 80,S ...WHAT A STOOPID NAME FOR A BAR......SO HAS ANYONE GOT ANY PICCIES OF IT.

Not sure but from memory it was a typical 1930's style building. More city/town centre looking than a country pub.

Late to the party. Just found this site.
We lived in Chadwick End from circa 1965 to 68. The pub then was in the 1930's style, see attached photo I found online My parents had the original post office, behind which was the old bakery. That has all been demolished to make way for Bakehouse Lane.
The primary school at the Convent was also operating in those days.
21909.jpg

We lived in Chadwick End from circa 1965 to 68. The pub then was in the 1930's style, see attached photo I found online My parents had the original post office, behind which was the old bakery. That has all been demolished to make way for Bakehouse Lane.
View attachment 171060
many thanks for that info and the photograph and welcome to the forum its never to late to add to a thread

lyn

View attachment 171060
Alan Whicker presented a programme from the Poor Clares Convent in 1972, many of the nuns had never seen a motorcar, radio or television

My son lives around the corner from the former Poor Clares convent which has now been developed into apartments.

As it is a closed order most of the nuns never left the Convent.
I had a second job working for a private hire firm in Knowle in the late 70s and I can remember several times collecting a nun from the Poor Clares and driving her to Solihull railway station.

Yes - there was usually a couple of nuns who went out shopping etc but the majority did not go into the outside world except for hospital appointments and such like. Tended their garden and attended chuch services etc. Not sure if any of them did any nursing work at all.
The nuns there made my 21st birthday cake and we had to talk to the nun who made them and the Mother Superior through a grill. (We won't talk about how long ago that was :rolleyes: ).

Back