• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chad Valley board games

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
These two Chad Valley board games are from the 1960s but I don’t remember either. Did anyone have these ? Intrigued to know how the water polo game worked. Was it played using water ? And the Concentration game was based on a TV game. Don’t remember the programme either. Viv.

935BBF9F-E12F-419A-81B2-A5E3C48D193A.jpeg

B42DE13F-06B3-491E-B4DD-5C4D0510DE74.jpeg

Concentration - I don't remember the programme but here are the rules

Attachments

• concentration.jpg
    concentration.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 3
Concentration - I don't remember the programme but here are the rules
Neither do I. ITV was broadcast on Band III as I recall so not everyone that had a TV could receive ITV, (I remember going to a friends house to watch Popeye the Sailor Man).

Wikipedia. - Granada Series 1 16 June 1959 - 7 June 1960 70 episodes. Apparently revived in 1988 but don't remember that either.
UK Gameshows - Some screenshots

That water polo is really naff, four straws and a ball! That could be the start of a thread - Childhood Toys That Didn't Live Up To Expectations!

Yes, think I’d have been disappointed with the water polo game. And the Concentration game definitely passed me by. Don’t remember if our TV could receive ITV, but that was probably why I’ve never heard of it. Viv.

This Chad Valley version of Solitaire (?) is interesting in that it seems to have been a means of raising funds for the Infants Hospital in London. It says on the cover that the game was issued by the hospital. Not sure how that worked in relation to raising funds. Viv

5DE657AC-B172-413D-9608-11215BFE5C71.jpeg1553877B-380F-4791-B533-EAF5FE6C1B20.jpeg

That's interesting, I used to work near Vincent Square SW1, sure there's no hospital now though the building may be there.
I had one of those peg games :)

We had a blow football game, not a water one. The only problem was the amount of spittle that came out of the tube in the attempts to blow hard!

(Edit: just checked, the hospital has been converted to apartments)

Searching for images of Peg Patience there are examples with red, green and blue pegs. Does that suggest that it was produced over several years or just a marketing ploy to persuade people to get another one?

A great many people require little persuading when new things are offered. Soap powders were always 'new', some things 'improved'. I bet most people update computer software when a 'new' programme is available. ;)
At the age of eight or nine I was presented with a Blow Football game as a Christmas present. Heaven knows why, as I has no interest in football whatsoever - still do not.

Back