• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Certificates General Register Office

janeytg

knowlegable brummie
:confused:HI;

I'm back with another query I wonder if anyone can steer me in the direction of certificates.:rolleyes: My late father in law William Charles Bosward was born 13th February 1898 at 96 Reynolds St Smethwick Staffs, he always called himself a proud Brummie, His parents were William Charles & Harriet Gray Wooldrige Bosward married Birmingham 1897.. Harriet was a widow with two children.

I would like to buy the Birth,Marriage.Death certificates for the above William & Harriet and Birth cert, for my father in law.
Reading some of the posts I see where they say Smethwick did not become part of Birmingham till years later. Can anyone tell me where I might apply for these certificates , Thanks a bunch appreciate all the help you can give me.

Kind regards
Janey,:)

Go to the GRO link below

It is free to register. You can get birth and death certs as PDF which are available to download from the site after about 5 days (they email you) - these are cheaper. Marriage certs have to come via post.
HI Janice;
Thanks a bunch I got onto the site and registered it looks like a great site .I'm ordering the certificates and will let you all know when I receive them and how much info I have now on the Bosward family.

By the By I see I got a message saying my 'threads' were moved to another post site on your forum,can you tell me where and I will then post on the correct area,?? thanks again.

Looks like Canada is about to reopen for business,, no more Covid, eh ?? hoorah,,,
Kind regards
Jane.

Hijacking this thread a little but it appears that the GRO are now offering the option to view a digital image of entries.

Not all are available yet it seems but images only cost £2.50.

More details available on the GRO site.

I ordered 2 online digital certificates last week - the first day this facility became available.

Both certificates were available to view just seconds after I had made payment.

Unfortunately there was a problem with the second certificate in that only the bottom right hand corner of the document (just showing the registrars signature) had been scanned.

I telephoned the GRO who checked and agreed there was a problem. They rang me back within 10 minutes and gave me an e mail address to write to.

Their reply came back that they were going to refund me the charge of £2.50 but this certificate would now only be available as a PDF or a paper copy.

I was very impressed with this service.

William.

Back