• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Certificate of service

jmadone

master brummie
Reading Lady P's post regarding her late father's Arctic convoy duties she mentions she has her dad's Certificate of service in the Royal Navy, and it lists the establishments and ships he served on. This inspired me to dig out my own dad's Certificate of service in the Royal Marines to see where and when he served. I was disappointed to see that the only ones listed were his division and combined operations training camps in Scotland. Then from September 1943 to March 1946 it's listed as HMS Copra, which I know was an coverall posting for pay and administration purposes only. Now I know he served aboard a Landing Craft Gun and saw service in the mediterranen sea and later in Asia and have indeed posted photos on the forum to show this. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can find which Crafts he served on or would I have to apply for his service record from the Royal Marines.

Hi, I guess you already went down this route to check resources?

I remember the pics you posted and if I recall there was a poignant one of burial at sea. Its a long shot but if any of these were Marines from your Dad's division it may help identify where they were operating?
The last part of the above link reads..............
Read - A Register of Royal Marine Deaths, 1939–1945, which gives rolls of all ranks, lists of casualties by ship and unit, and burial details for Second World War casualties.

Back