• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Central Grammar, International School Tile Cross

Having spent five happy years at Central Grammar School, (1948-1953), I would like to add a few memories of my own to the above comments. Sir Rodney Pasley was the perfect headmaster, supported by an excellent staff, including Mr Merryman, (Music), Mr Paddock, (Maths), Mr Dixon, (German), Mr "Caggy" Carter (French), Mr "Pippy" May (French), Mr Greatrex (Art), Mr Evans (History), Mr Heslop (Maths), Mr Weightman (PE), Mr Faulkner (English) and Mr Reader (English).

In my form was Nicholas (later Nicol) Williamson who, despite an unpleasant demeanour, became a well known film star playing mostly "baddies" in a variety of films. Two other Old Boys who made their marks in later years were Sam Doble and Colin McFaddyen, members of England's Rugby Team.
Also around at your time was A E Lewis another marvellous actor. When he left school he took his uncle's surname and became Tony Garnett. He became very well known for his work behind the camera.

Hello to everybody.
I have just stumbled across this forum and it has triggered a great deal of nostalgia for me - Brian McCarthy. I was at C G S between 1963 and ‘68.
My first year was in 1P with Mr Hutton, room 9. I have often wondered what became of the pupils from that intake.
Best friend was Pete Smith, (sad to have lost contact with him). Also hung around with:- ‘Duck’ Bretherton, Steve Horn and crew. I confess I have not recognised any of the pupil names that appear in this thread, but do remember the teachers.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Hi, new member here and very happy to have found this forum which will help me and my father research his life.
I have been scanning my father's old photographs and came across these two pictures of C.G.S. Rugby Teams from 1946/7 and 1947/8. I thought they might be of interest to someone.

View attachment 129756

This one has a few signatures on the back, but in random order so can't match the names to the faces.
John Woodward, H.A Bolton, J.Woods, R.N.Raven (best guess), Ray Foe, J.Hemming, L.Bradley, M.Peters, I.Shirley, J.F.Roberts (captain), J.Pritchett, G.R.Wallis, R.Jones, B.Luckett & D.J.Shane. My father, Brian Chellingworth, is front right.

View attachment 129755

Hi, new member here and very happy to have found this forum which will help me and my father research his life.
I have been scanning my father's old photographs and came across these two pictures of C.G.S. Rugby Teams from 1946/7 and 1947/8. I thought they might be of interest to someone.

View attachment 129756

This one has a few signatures on the back, but in random order so can't match the names to the faces.
John Woodward, H.A Bolton, J.Woods, R.N.Raven (best guess), Ray Foe, J.Hemming, L.Bradley, M.Peters, I.Shirley, J.F.Roberts (captain), J.Pritchett, G.R.Wallis, R.Jones, B.Luckett & D.J.Shane. My father, Brian Chellingworth, is front right.

View attachment 129755
Here's a photo of the best rugby team ever to be formed. We never lost a game and was I proud to be a part of it.

I'm new in this forum. Was just wondering if this photo of our rugby team is of any interest to anybody. We never lost a game.

Attachments

• our team.JPG
    our team.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 30
Hi all; I was at Central 1957-1964 (the first years in the Tile Cross buildings; I sat my part 2 11-plus at Cherrywood Road). Lots of familiar staff names in that post above; messrs Paddock, Dixon, Carter, May, Greatrex, Evans, Weightman, Faulkner & Reader were all still in full flight.

I was there from 1955 to 1961. School photo from 1959 attached.
Found myself! Pic 10, 2nd row from the front,3rd from the right. To my left are Terry Fearn and Roger Evans, and to my right is - really sorry I can't remember his first name, but his surname is Palmer.....

Georgie Carabis, correct spelling Karavis was Greek and a Maths teacher. How appropriate!
Sorry to be a pedant, but I'm 99% sure George Karavis was a Cypriot. He taught me maths leading to O Level, and he must have been brilliant because I passed!! I now live in Cyprus, and I remember him from time to time.

M Benne My husband was there 1964 to 1971. He has a school photo of 1970 so you must be on it somewhere! He thought 'Zombie' taught biology. You were obviously both there at the same time. Do you remember any of these? Robert Woodford, Ian Jones, Bill Atkins, Gerald Anstis, John Twigg, any others you can recall? Think this had better become a "conversation".
I was at Central for 2 years in the late 60s. I remember Zombie taught chemistry and had bad dandruff.

Thank you, everyone, for the individual snippets of information about the school. My late grandfather was a pupil there (he was born in 1895) and I have his sports cup for winning various sports events in 1911 and 1912. It has been very difficult to find the history of the school so I'm very interested in everything that I can find out about it.

Could someone (possibly former pupils ?) help to unscramble this description of the school please ?

CENTRAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS, Suffolk Street (1897–c. 1939); Burbidge Rd. (c. 1944– 1955); Gressel Lane, Tile Cross (1957). Municipal Technical Day Sch. opened 1897 by Birm. C.B.C., for B only, in buildings described as 'nothing short of a technical palace'. Central Secondary Sch. at first formed part of the technical school but later became a separate sch. though shared same building until c. 1939. Reopened after or towards end of war in 'a former senior school' in Burbidge Rd. (ex. inf. M. of Ed.). Temporarily accommodated in Cherrywood Rd. Transferred 1957 to newly-built premises at Gressel Lane, Tile Cross. As late as 1919 it had a bias towards science and engineering. N.o.b. 1914: 284, 1937: 400 (ex inf. M. of Ed.), 1961: 565.(28) Fees £3 a year; by 1937 £12. In 1911 c. 84 per cent. pupils came from elementary schools, in 1937 'almost all'. Average leaving age 1910–13: 15½ yrs., 1953: 16–17 (ex inf. M. of Ed.).

Question:
It includes Central Secondary School under the same heading. In some way it seems to be linked, but was it at any time considered part of the grammar school ?

Were the schools in partnership perhaps ? Or were they totally seperate schools ? CSS seems to have developed from a Technical School as far back as 1897. From adverts I've seen from the early 1900s the Tech was based in Suffolk Street. Both CSS and CGS used Suffolk Street as their premises (but maybe not at the same time ?).

Or were they totally independent of each other ?

Basically what I'm trying to work out is, what was their relationship ?

Viv
Yes, Viv, but I can't unravel the information you have there except to say that my late grandfather (born 1895 died 1982) attended the school in Suffolk Street. I don't know if the CSS and CGS were independent of each other but the School Cup is silver plated (needs cleaning) and weighs a ton. My grandfather was 1st in 100yds and the 440yds but 2nd in the High Jump (1911). In 1912 he was 1st in 100yds, 1st in High Jump, 1st in 440yds, 2nd Long Jump and 2nd with a cricket ball. Unfortunately, the cup just says "School Cup" so doesn't say whether it is CSS or CGS but just bears the Birmingham crest of the arm and hammer with a coronet. My grandfather always referred to the school as the "Central Secondary School in Suffolk Street". Thank you for your post, Viv.

For those interested there’s a thread here about Central Technical College once located in Suffolk Street Birmingham. Viv

Sorry to be a pedant, but I'm 99% sure George Karavis was a Cypriot. He taught me maths leading to O Level, and he must have been brilliant because I passed!! I now live in Cyprus, and I remember him from time to time.
Done a bit of digging, and I'm positive I've found him, living near Larnaca. I have emailed him to see if he's who I think he is, but so far have had no reply.

Does anyone from Central remember The Rio at the Yew Tree. Sunday night was the 'progressive/rock' night. I first went with a gang of mates from school around 1969/70. The music was superb, the DJ excellent. There were also several notable personalities there too. A Stones fan, a Who fan and a Rod Stewart fan who were up within a split second of their favourites coming on. There were a lot of blokes from Central Grammar and girls from Byng Kendrick that went every week. I think the club lasted a while there then, I don't know why, had to move to the Sportsman's Arms near Coventry. The DJ arranged for coaches to pick us up and take us there for a small fee which was fantastic. It was a great night out.

A couple of us from the 1965 intake have arranged a "Grand Central Reunion" at the old Gressel Lane site (Now Tile Cross Academy) at 2pm 29th October 2022 (125 years since Central started in Suffolk Street as the Central Secondary School - Sept 17th, 1897!) Anyone who attended CGS, BK or BKC is welcome to join the 100 plus ex students who are going. The current Academy staff will be giving Guided tours.

Just saw myself! 4th from right in front row - shorts & long socks, Dick Ellis At End, Paddy Cullen next.
Couldn't see myself on the 1970 - but here in 1st year!

Alice Mckekny was there for 1 year only? we called her Jockeline!

In an attempt to find out the links, if any, between Central Grammar School and Central Secondary School I've had a look at the progression of the school(s) from 1906 to the 1940s through their admission arrangements (and any other useful articles) as reported in newspapers. This is what I found.

Sept 1906 - "Birmingham Municipal Technical School" advert announcing course sessions to start at
Central School, Suffolk St, and
Branch School classes at Oozells St, Geo Dixon Sec Sch and Waverley Road Sec Sch. These were prep courses eg mechanical engineering, maths
A programme of classes was available

May 1914 - "Council Secondary Schools" advert announcing admissions exams for
Central Secondary School, Suffolk St (along with these secondary schools Geo Dixon, Waverley Road, Kings Norton, Yardley)

Sept 1914 - advert headed "Birmingham Municipal Technical School" announcing sessions commencing at
Central School, Suffolk Street, and
Branch schools at Oozells St, Geo Dixon Sec Sch, City Rd and Waverley Road Small Heath Sec Sch
A programme of classes was available

1929 - "Admission to Secondary Schools 1929" advert for exam scholarships, free places and admissions at
Central Secondary School, Suffolk St (along with these secondary schools: Geo Dixon, Erdington, Kings Norton, Yardley and Moseley. And KEGS, Handsworth and St Phillip's Grammar Schools)

1939 - July "Central Grammar School" took part in a practice evacuation with 28 other Birmingham schools

1939 - August & Sept "Birmingham Central Technical College" advert for new sessions delayed

1939 - August "Central Grammar School" boy joins trip to Canada with 9 other Birmingham grammar school boys (a party of 40 British students in total)

1939 - Sept a City of Birmingham advert about 1940 admissions to grammar schools including Central Grammar School (along with these grammar schools: Erdington, Geo Dixon, Kings Norton, Yardley, Waverley Road, Moseley, KEGS, Handsworth, St Phillip's and St Paul's)

1940 Sept - an advert about grammar school admissions for 1940 as per Sept 1939 advert

1945 Oct Birmingham Central Tech was advertising "Foremanship" evening classes.

So in conclusion

Central Secondary School is mentioned in adverts from 1906 under the banner of Birmingham Municipal Technical School which not only included Central Sec School but a number of branch schools (offering 'classes' and 'prep courses')

Central Secondary School was advertising admissions exams from 1914 (along with several other Birmingham secondary schools which all became grammar schools by 1939)

I could find no references to Central Grammar School before July 1939.

Around 1939 a new title "Birmingham Central Tech College" starts to appear in adverts. Both Birmingham Central Technical College and Central Grammar School had newspaper adverts appearing (separately) in mid-1939

So either Central Grammar School went by another name pre-1939 or it was called Central Secondary School/Central School before 1939. Technical training may have also been - as Janice suggested earlier - available on the premises on a part-time basis (evening ?). A number of other schools ("branches") also seem to have been involved across Birmingham. Perhaps this was a common arrangement made with the schools at the time to provide shorter, technical classes.

This may answer a few of our questions but possibly throws up others !

Viv.
Hi Viv - Just came across this thread - I was at Central Grammar School 1965 - 72, and my father attended CGS in Suffolk Street during the 2nd World War. He was evacuated along with half of the school (pupils and teachers) to Wales, and returned to CGS which had by then relocated to Cherrywood Road, in Bordesley Green. CGS was formerly known as the Central Secondary School, which opened in Suffolk Street on September 17th 1897. You can read more on The Archive website: https://centralgrammarschool.org.uk/history/

A couple of us from the 1965 intake have arranged a "Grand Central Reunion" at the old Gressel Lane site (Now Tile Cross Academy) at 2pm 29th October 2022 (125 years since Central started in Suffolk Street as the Central Secondary School - Sept 17th, 1897!) Anyone who attended CGS, BK or BKC is welcome to join the 100 plus ex students who are going. The current Academy staff will be giving Guided tours.
So, when Central started in September 1897 my grandfather, Frank Gossage, was just 2 years old (he was born 9th Sept 1895). At what age did they start at CSS? At the time he went to CSS he lived in Albert Road, Kings Heath (the provisions and off-licence shop).
I hope all goes well for your Grand Central Reunion on 29th.

So, when Central started in September 1897 my grandfather, Frank Gossage, was just 2 years old (he was born 9th Sept 1895). At what age did they start at CSS? At the time he went to CSS he lived in Albert Road, Kings Heath (the provisions and off-licence shop).
I hope all goes well for your Grand Central Reunion on 29th.
I am not sure of the youngest age of the first admissions in 1897, but in 1947 the School's First Headmaster wrote in the Silver Jubilee Edition of the School Magazine:

"The school was started under the Acland scheme of organised science schools. The Birmingham school was, I think, the only one that attempted to fulfil Acland’s purpose: to provide a full secondary school course for boys from 12 to 16 years of age, based upon English, modern languages, science and much practical work, and to provide through or in addition to such a curriculum ethical, cultural and physical training."

So I guess the answer to your question is 12 :)

I am not sure of the youngest age of the first admissions in 1897, but in 1947 the School's First Headmaster wrote in the Silver Jubilee Edition of the School Magazine:

"The school was started under the Acland scheme of organised science schools. The Birmingham school was, I think, the only one that attempted to fulfil Acland’s purpose: to provide a full secondary school course for boys from 12 to 16 years of age, based upon English, modern languages, science and much practical work, and to provide through or in addition to such a curriculum ethical, cultural and physical training."

So I guess the answer to your question is 12 :)
Thank you for your reply. That's probably about right as he would have been 12 in Sept 1907. My grandfather loved to quote Dickens, Shakespeare and other contemporary writers. He bought me a copy of Palgrave's Golden Treasury when I was about 12 and was always very interested in innovations and anything new in technology. That also seems to fit the sports day in 1911/12 when he won the school cup and had a velvet cap.

Would you be kind enough to publicise any future CGS reunion dates? I seem to have missed the last 68 so some catching up to do but never too late!
Les May ('49-54)

Also around at your time was A E Lewis another marvellous actor. When he left school he took his uncle's surname and became Tony Garnett. He became very well known for his work behind the camera.
Hi all; I was at Central 1957-1964 (the first years in the Tile Cross buildings; I sat my part 2 11-plus at Cherrywood Road). Lots of familiar staff names in that post above; messrs Paddock, Dixon, Carter, May, Greatrex, Evans, Weightman, Faulkner & Reader were all still in full flight.
These chaps are as clear as yesterday. Does anyone remember Mr Reese (Reece?) or is he a figment of my imagination?

Welcome to the forum.
If you read this thread from post 1 you will see that several old boys are actually members.
Sadly Kern Jones passed away last year.

Further to my previous contribution re Central Grammar School, I started Wondering if any of my previous classmates had achieved fame, (or infamy), or fortune? Having for four years out of the five years that I attended there with the same classmates, (Stuart Elder and I skipped the second form and had to spend two years in the fifth), their surnames come readily to mind, but not all of the Christian names. They are Don Abbey, Terry Arkinstall, Albert Atkins, (me), Bob Butler, ?? Cook, Bob Cooley, John Downey Stuart Elder, Chris Fear, ?? Ferris, Bob Froggatt, ?? Gessey, ?? Goldingay, ?? Haddon, ?? Hill, "Soapy" Hudson, "Jamrag" Johnson, A.E. Lewis, M.J. Lewis, Stuart Linnell, ?? Marklow, "Mona" Mills, ?? Nicholson, "Pongo" Partlett, "Inky" Stephens, "Tats" Turton and "Tusker" Winwood. Three members of the same year (but not the same class), were the unholy trinity of Nicol Williamson, the celebrated actor, Roy Deeming and "Dicky" Bird. Perhaps we could arrange a reunion!
Bert,
I am the brother of John Downey, whose name you included in your message above. John emigrated to the USA in 1953 and I followed him in 1958. John passed away 4 years ago in Long Beach, NY. I remember John speaking of classmate Don Abbey. I failed the exam for grammar school, but passed OK for Handsworth Tech, where I received an excellent education. Not sure if Don Abbey emigrated to Perth, Australia, but one of John's classmates did. Our father was the police inspector of the Canterbury Road police station in Perry Barr. Fond memories linger of growing up there.
Cheers,
Patrick Downey

Hello, I'm a new member. I was at Central from 1958-65 and have been prompted to post after reading the posts from Colin Stark (#127 & 134) and Colin Smith (#133 & 135, all on p7) who are both my contemporaries - same intake year (1958) but different classes? Having found my old school reports (Covid lockdown sort out) and the 1959 school photo I tried to recall and record who else was in my year - the two Colins provided another five names, so thank you both.

So far, the list is 75 names (see below). As I recall there were 42 boys/class and 3 classes/year giving a total around 126 (+/- joiners/leavers). So, still well short! Does anyone want to offer any additions or amendments? My apologies for misspellings or other errors - the passing years take their toll!

ARCHER, Tim - ARMSTRONG, Eddie - ASHFORD, Roger - BALMER,? - BAND, Peter - BARSTOW, John - BARTLAM, John - BEDDOE,? - BENT, Paul - BERTINAT, Mark - BIRD, Graham - BRENNAN,? - BROOKES, Roy - BURD, Michael - BURLEY,? - CARRUTHERS,? - CASEY or CASSLEY,? - CLARKE,? - COLE,? - CONYERS, Alan - COOMBES,? - CREASEY, Derek - DAVIES,? - DELANEY, Michael - DIXON, Des - DODD, Geoffrey - FAIRBROTHER,? - FRANCIS, Paul - FRECKLETON,? - GREEN, Stuart - GREEN,? - HACKETT, Andrew - HANDS, Andrew - HARRISON, William - HENRY, Tony - HEWLETT, Christopher - HINSHELWOOD, Roger - HIPKISS, Andrew - HOBDAY, David - HOWELL, Paul - HUDSON, John - JENNINGS, Graham - JONES, Trevor - KELLY, John - KERRIGAN, Vincent - KING, Michael - LEYLAND, Peter - MANDER, Roy - MARRIOTT, Howard (Head Boy, 1964-5) - MARSHALL, Terry - OLLIS, Charlie - PARTRIDGE, David - PARTRIDGE, Robert - PEARCEHOUSE, Colin - PEWSEY,? - PRESTON, David - RABONE, James - RICKETTS,? - RIDGE, Kenneth - SHARP, Peter - SHELDON, Leo - SIMPER, Paul - SMITH, Brian - SMITH, Colin - STARK, Colin - STILES,? - STIRLING, Jock - STOCKER,? - STUCHFIELD, Robert - THOMAS, Andrew - WARREN, Robert - WEDDELL, Michael - WHITEHOUSE, Barry - WOOTTON, Dennis - WYDE, Ian.

By way of a postscript, I generally enjoyed my time Central and the school served me very well - although in the interests of balance I loathed rugby with a passion and never saw the funny side of cricket. Good wishes to all.

Back