• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Central Grammar, International School Tile Cross

Thanks Ian, don't think I will attend, but again thanks. I should also thank Mr Hutton for getting me to pass geography o-level. He told me I wouldn't and wanted to prove him wrong. Perhaps he was a leading exponent of reverse psychology

Hi Jeff, Phil Howard has recently joined the Central Grammar facebook page and was asking if anyone was in contact with you. Best Regards Ian Lane
Thanks for that. I went to a "friends reunited " reunion a few years ago. Met up with a few , and went round the old school as a tour. Martin Walsh, Graham Murray,Keith Lawley , Mr Hutton came too. But no one in contact now.
I said I would mention anyone who came back to mind . Roy " clackers " Clark lived up by stechford baths, and Jimmy Coates , who had a moulton bike, the only one I ever rode!! I worked in the school hols while I was in 5th year,at Kunzle cakes. 7 weeks at £ 11 per week. Saved enough to buy a Claud Butler racing bike, campagnolo gears, weinman vanquer centre pull brakes ,the works.... Rode it home from Halfords corporation st, stopped at Paul Walker's house in packington avenue,shard end to show it off. Knocked the door, went in to tell him, ....we walked out.... Bike gone, never saw it again

Here are the names my husband remembers:
Ian Davidson (English), George Tustin and ?Gregory (Maths), Howard Carter, Pip May and ? Firth (French), J Roberts, B Hutton (both Geography), Trog Evans (History), Arnie Faulkner and Mick Doss (Physics), "Knocker" Harris (Biology), DRW (PE - initials from a report), T Sandland (Music), C G Thomas (known as Taffy - RE whose son was in my husband's year). Others include Karabis, and Headmasters Ockleton and Goodfellow (later Head of Moseley Grammar and then the comp).
Anyone know who the initials refer to? He also has a 1970 whole school photo.

Janice
This is Geoff, son of Taffy, now living abroad. I remember Paul very well, even though I was only at CGS for the sixth form. Do say 'hello' and pass on my best wishes. I returned to B'ham earlier this year for Brian Hutton's memorial service and met up with a few Old Centrals, although there was no-pone from my year. I know it's five years since you posted but I'm sure i can fill in the blanks above.

Brian Hutton - recently died, Andy Firth, D R Weightman ? PE

I went to Bryntial for a week in my 1st year 1971-2 and C G Thomas Lad - presumably Geoff - was there. always wondered how teachers kids got on at schools where their parents taught? especially if the Teacher wasn't liked much - although he was OK from what I recall.

This is Geoff, son of Taffy, now living abroad. I remember Paul very well, even though I was only at CGS for the sixth form. Do say 'hello' and pass on my best wishes. I returned to B'ham earlier this year for Brian Hutton's memorial service and met up with a few Old Centrals, although there was no-pone from my year. I know it's five years since you posted but I'm sure i can fill in the blanks above.
Paul certainly does remember you. We are just off for a walk but will do a proper reply later.

I was a 59-64 boy, and already hooked on cars and motorbikes. Who else remembers Mr Hamiltons rivetted Railton, Charlie Paddocks big Wolseley, a Standard flying 9 and Mr Cunninghams Triumph Twin? I was pleased to see "Smithy" mentioned in the staff lists. Anyone recall Mr Hopkins (chemistry) and Mr Parish (physics) who I am ashamed to say we drove to mental breakdown. Merryman was my first form master, and I went to Bryn Tail a few times with Jimmy May and Arnie Faulkner. Mouldering in Devon now but can still smell the paint factory!

Geoff, I remember you well. After spending weeks trying to get a date with a Wilfred Martineau girl called Miriam, she dumped me because you told her I had said awful things about her. But don't worry I don't hold grudges!

Really though, how are you obviously living the high life in sunnier climes. Hope you and your family are safe from this awful virus. We are all sadly at that age now. Some of us had met up a few times from our year but the virus has put at least a temporary end to that. My nickname you may remember by was Dub. Don't ask it's a long story. Anyway, nice to know you are alive and kicking. Malcolm Robinson

I too was in Mr davisons 1s, class, however I was there in 1968 and I remember Robert woodford who became headboy whilst I was there. I am sure he joined the RN. Seemed to remember meeting him in HMS Collingood.

I remember the 4 star verbs with Mr Firth, always learned to conjugate them, painful not too|

Geoff, I remember you well. After spending weeks trying to get a date with a Wilfred Martineau girl called Miriam, she dumped me because you told her I had said awful things about her. But don't worry I don't hold grudges!

Really though, how are you obviously living the high life in sunnier climes. Hope you and your family are safe from this awful virus. We are all sadly at that age now. Some of us had met up a few times from our year but the virus has put at least a temporary end to that. My nickname you may remember by was Dub. Don't ask it's a long story. Anyway, nice to know you are alive and kicking. Malcolm Robinson
Greetings! Belated apologies - I do not remember any Martineau girls, although I do seem to remember a few from BK! My only memory of Sir Wilf's is doing some teaching practice there; I wasn't particularly welcome in the music department so spent many happy lunch hours refining my bidding at bridge! It's still sunny here (mostly) and the sea is still warm but it's quite frustrating not to be able to visit family in the UK. Let's hope for better times. Thanks for getting in touch - it's always nice to have a blast from the past and to remember some of the sillier things I've done. Geoff

I remember the 4 star verbs with Mr Firth, always learned to conjugate them, painful not too|
Hi Stef, you wouldn't be the lad with the surname so hard to spell for ignorant grammar school boys, we called you 'Chic'? Malcolm Robinson (I used to sit alongside Rob Woodford's row in the double row next to David Palfrey.

I think my brother would have been at CGS about 65 - 71, Robert Marklew. I can see him in the 1970 picture, thank you @pjmburns. I think we had a copy of the photo. He died in 1983.

@Malcolm Robinson - I wasn't sure if your Malcolm Marklew might have been mistaken for my brother, or perhaps there were more Marklew's about :)

I think my brother would have been at CGS about 65 - 71, Robert Marklew. I can see him in the 1970 picture, thank you @pjmburns. I think we had a copy of the photo. He died in 1983.

@Malcolm Robinson - I wasn't sure if your Malcolm Marklew might have been mistaken for my brother, or perhaps there were more Marklew's about :)
FlaxleyGirl, Hi, it could have been. I was born in 1952 and joined Central when I was about 11 3/4, which would have been September 1963. I was in Mr Davidson's class 1S when I joined. Obviously, that was a long time ago and if it was your brother Robert not Malcolm, I do apologise for getting his name wrong. I thought it was Malcolm. I am really sorry to hear of your loss, a real tragedy. Where is he on the 1970 photo and I might be able to confirm if it's the 'Marklew' I remember.

Malcolm Robinson

FlaxleyGirl, Hi, it could have been. I was born in 1952 and joined Central when I was about 11 3/4, which would have been September 1963. I was in Mr Davidson's class 1S when I joined. Obviously, that was a long time ago and if it was your brother Robert not Malcolm, I do apologise for getting his name wrong. I thought it was Malcolm. I am really sorry to hear of your loss, a real tragedy. Where is he on the 1970 photo and I might be able to confirm if it's the 'Marklew' I remember.

Malcolm Robinson
There could well be more Marklew's - I seem to have come across a few on here! He was the last one at the back on the far right. Two to his right was Steve Rhodes - I recognise him, though haven't seen him in over 40 years, so that was a surprise! He was born September 1954

There could well be more Marklew's - I seem to have come across a few on here! He was the last one at the back on the far right. Two to his right was Steve Rhodes - I recognise him, though haven't seen him in over 40 years, so that was a surprise! He was born September 1954
I'm afraid I don't recognise him from the photo but that could be down to a 68 year old memory. I seem to recollect the name Steve Rhodes but again I don't recognise the photo. Sorry! Malcolm Robinson

I'm afraid I don't recognise him from the photo but that could be down to a 68 year old memory. I seem to recollect the name Steve Rhodes but again I don't recognise the photo. Sorry! Malcolm Robinson
There was a Steve Marklow/Marklew 66-71 - lived up Manor Rd, corner of Hill house by the bridge - Dad kept Carp? Tall lad. Any relation?

There was a Steve Marklow/Marklew 66-71 - lived up Manor Rd, corner of Hill house by the bridge - Dad kept Carp? Tall lad. Any relation?
Not that I know of. We lived in Flaxley Rd. Perhaps there were Marklew's all over the place ha ha!

Hill House Lane was the lane with the bridge across from Flaxley Rd to Manor Road wasn't it? I remember there was a Keatings family and a Bannister family that lived on the Flaxley side of it - in the 60s/70s

I know that it is a long time since this was posted but I have just joined. I was there 1951 to 1959 and I am on the photo. Follow the line of masters to the right and I am the second pupil, noticeable by my blonde hair. One of my grandchildren said "but it's in black and white" !
Never a pupil of CGS but a friend was a near contemporary of yours, Jim Paxton 50-58 he was much involved with old boys rugby. Also a neighbour in 1940's-60's, Mrs. Sanders, was in charge of school dinners at Central in your day.

Never a pupil of CGS but a friend was a near contemporary of yours, Jim Paxton 50-58 he was much involved with old boys rugby. Also a neighbour in 1940's-60's, Mrs. Sanders, was in charge of school dinners at Central in your day.
Yes I remember Jim Paxton. I started playing rugby with the old boys but in the 59/60 (yes my 1st season with them) I tore the plantaris muscle in my left leg. Big forward dropped on my leg just as I was starting a sprint. Jim Paxton used to go to school camp I think. AI last saw him in Edinburgh airport probably some time in the 80s. I was coming back to Birmingham and he was on the way to Leeds/Bradford if I remember correctly.

Back