• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Central Grammar, International School Tile Cross

Having spent five happy years at Central Grammar School, (1948-1953), I would like to add a few memories of my own to the above comments. Sir Rodney Pasley was the perfect headmaster, supported by an excellent staff, including Mr Merryman, (Music), Mr Paddock, (Maths), Mr Dixon, (German), Mr "Caggy" Carter (French), Mr "Pippy" May (French), Mr Greatrex (Art), Mr Evans (History), Mr Heslop (Maths), Mr Weightman (PE), Mr Faulkner (English) and Mr Reader (English).

In my form was Nicholas (later Nicol) Williamson who, despite an unpleasant demeanour, became a well known film star playing mostly "baddies" in a variety of films. Two other Old Boys who made their marks in later years were Sam Doble and Colin McFaddyen, members of England's Rugby Team.

Hi Bert,
I was at Central from 1966-1971 In Gressel lane, Tile Cross. Had Cag for French, Mr Evans for History (one of sons as also in our year), "Arnie" Faulkner was a delightful teacher - pleasure to have known him - he also told Ghost stories at the week long camp at Bryntail. 'Pip' May was Deputy Head and real old Character - never forgotten, though much taken the micky of! Mr Reader was just about there, and Messrs Weightman & Doble (Moseley & England) were sports masters. Sam Doble did not hold back when teaching Rugby, so it was a pleasure with about 15 other to tackle him and finally get him on the ground! Good times, wished I'd paid a little more attention, but started to get bored by end of 3rd term - downhill after that! Memories are all that are left - all my reports, and school mags were cleared out when my parents spring cleaned one year - such is life!
Brian

Further to my previous contribution re Central Grammar School, I started Wondering if any of my previous classmates had achieved fame, (or infamy), or fortune? Having for four years out of the five years that I attended there with the same classmates, (Stuart Elder and I skipped the second form and had to spend two years in the fifth), their surnames come readily to mind, but not all of the Christian names. They are Don Abbey, Terry Arkinstall, Albert Atkins, (me), Bob Butler, ?? Cook, Bob Cooley, John Downey Stuart Elder, Chris Fear, ?? Ferris, Bob Froggatt, ?? Gessey, ?? Goldingay, ?? Haddon, ?? Hill, "Soapy" Hudson, "Jamrag" Johnson, A.E. Lewis, M.J. Lewis, Stuart Linnell, ?? Marklow, "Mona" Mills, ?? Nicholson, "Pongo" Partlett, "Inky" Stephens, "Tats" Turton and "Tusker" Winwood. Three members of the same year (but not the same class), were the unholy trinity of Nicol Williamson, the celebrated actor, Roy Deeming and "Dicky" Bird. Perhaps we could arrange a reunion!

My husband, Paul, went to Central Grammar between 1964 and 1971. He remembers most of the staff names from #580 especially the PE staff. He has gone off the think about other staff he remembers from his time there.

Janice

Here are the names my husband remembers:
Ian Davidson (English), George Tustin and ?Gregory (Maths), Howard Carter, Pip May and ? Firth (French), J Roberts, B Hutton (both Geography), Trog Evans (History), Arnie Faulkner and Mick Doss (Physics), "Knocker" Harris (Biology), DRW (PE - initials from a report), T Sandland (Music), C G Thomas (known as Taffy - RE whose son was in my husband's year). Others include Karabis, and Headmasters Ockleton and Goodfellow (later Head of Moseley Grammar and then the comp).
Anyone know who the initials refer to? He also has a 1970 whole school photo.

Janice

Ian Davidson (English), George Tustin and ?Gregory (Maths), Howard Carter, Pip May and ? Firth (French), J Roberts, B Hutton (both Geography), Trog Evans (History), Arnie Faulkner and Mick Doss (Physics), "Knocker" Harris (Biology), DRW (PE - initials from a report), T Sandland (Music), C G Thomas (known as Taffy - RE whose son was in my husband's year). Others include Karabis, and Headmasters Ockleton and Goodfellow (later Head of Moseley Grammar and then the comp).

Janice

I assume the DRW was Mr Weightman (cannot recall his Christian names) - he was PE with Sam Doble and played for Moseley & England
Sadly all my reports and school pics were dumped when my parents had a clear out & I wasn't too bothered about them at the time.
Brian 1966-1971

This school seems to have moved around from its original "central" position. Viv.
Central Grammar was also very early to adopt what we would now call an adventure centre.
From 1915 they had use of a cottage and out buildings at an old lead mine at Bryntail near Llanidloes. Parties of boys went at Easter and in the summer. Originated by Henri Guerra in 1915 and carried on by subsequent masters, notably Ernest (Arnie) Faulkner, the cottage reached its centenary in 2015 and a blue plaque was added to the building, which has been given a grade two listing.
Although not currently much used by Centrals successors, The International School, there has been a get together of former pupils and friends most years at the cottage and the Headmaster and two staff members (of what it now seems to be planned to call Tile Cross Accademy) are hoping to visit this years get together in June
Regards
Sandy Sanbrook

Very interesting Sandy - adventure centres offer so much to young people and can do a great job at building confidence. Pity it's not used so much now. May be something to do with schools being more cautious these days.

Thanks for the link Lyn. Shall be merging the information on that thread with the individual schools that are mentioned. Some very good information on it which might be of interest to members looking into particular schools. Viv.

Could someone (possibly former pupils ?) help to unscramble this description of the school please ?

CENTRAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS, Suffolk Street (1897–c. 1939); Burbidge Rd. (c. 1944– 1955); Gressel Lane, Tile Cross (1957). Municipal Technical Day Sch. opened 1897 by Birm. C.B.C., for B only, in buildings described as 'nothing short of a technical palace'. Central Secondary Sch. at first formed part of the technical school but later became a separate sch. though shared same building until c. 1939. Reopened after or towards end of war in 'a former senior school' in Burbidge Rd. (ex. inf. M. of Ed.). Temporarily accommodated in Cherrywood Rd. Transferred 1957 to newly-built premises at Gressel Lane, Tile Cross. As late as 1919 it had a bias towards science and engineering. N.o.b. 1914: 284, 1937: 400 (ex inf. M. of Ed.), 1961: 565.(28) Fees £3 a year; by 1937 £12. In 1911 c. 84 per cent. pupils came from elementary schools, in 1937 'almost all'. Average leaving age 1910–13: 15½ yrs., 1953: 16–17 (ex inf. M. of Ed.).

Question:
It includes Central Secondary School under the same heading. In some way it seems to be linked, but was it at any time considered part of the grammar school ?

Were the schools in partnership perhaps ? Or were they totally seperate schools ? CSS seems to have developed from a Technical School as far back as 1897. From adverts I've seen from the early 1900s the Tech was based in Suffolk Street. Both CSS and CGS used Suffolk Street as their premises (but maybe not at the same time ?).

Or were they totally independent of each other ?

Basically what I'm trying to work out is, what was their relationship ?

Viv

Viv

Best of luck, I found this very confusing when looking into the history of the Central Municipal Technical School that later became Central Birmingham Technical College. It states in several places that it was built in 1995 to be a technical school, but it contradicts itself here, https://www.aston.ac.uk/50/history/the-early-years/ although it doesn't say it was called a secondary school. Though this was pointed out to me https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3593285 from what I can make out from that page it looks like it was a secondary school in between being a technical school and a technical college. It's all very confusing.

I did ask my husband last night. He went in 1964 when the school was firmly established at Gressel Lane and called Central Grammar. He was there until 1971 and knew it began in Suffolk Street as The Central but had never heard it referred to as anything else.

In 1904 - 05 the site in Suffolk Street is marked "Technical Schools" but by 1937 it has become "Central Technical College". By 1952 it is "College of Technology". By 1978 the site is a car park. The dates are determined by the scale of the maps where I can see enough detail. I cannot at the moment find a map which shows The Central but I suspect that it was the same site. I am not too bothered by the word "Secondary" as it only refers to the age range of the school and not the type of school.
3c139e78-73cf-4fc9-9f09-eb36776cb976
The attached map is the 1904 - 05 one.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-9_16-21-3.png
    upload_2018-3-9_16-21-3.png
    343.4 KB · Views: 11
Oddly in the 1899 Kelly's there is no mention of The Central School on Suffolk Street - only Birmingham Municipal Technical School is listed. In 1913 The Central and Birmingham Municipal Technical School are listed in schools but only the latter is listed on Suffolk Street. I did see earlier reference in the list of schools to "The Day School". I think (but have no proof at the moment) that The buildings were used by what became Central Grammar in the daytime and the Technical School used the same building at night as I also found reference to "Evening Classes".

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-9_16-32-44.png
    upload_2018-3-9_16-32-44.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jan2ice
I just found this thread and wondered why Colin Mcfadyen never got a mention as I recall that he played an active part in PE/games and also taught us history in our first year before Sam came along.
Does anyone remember when CWMs picture appeared in one of the Sunday papers with team mates and Can Can girls following a lions match with France. I think England lost?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_McFadyean
Ps His team sbirt was also displayed in the trophy cabinet opposite the heads study.

Sam, by the way, also taught us biology in year 2 and was more likeable as a biology teacher than as PE mentor! Have more to add on CGS but away from home at the moment.

Last edited:
My husband (a rugby player) remembers Colin - when were you at CGS?
1965 - 1971. It wasnt one of my most enjoyable times in life. I quite liked rugby in year 1 but wasn't an asset on account of my size so I progressed to cross country, making the 1st team which was mentored by 'Zombie' Norton. He was quite a stickler for discipline when he joine the school to teach maths in 1966. As time went on he was treated quite badly by the lads in 4th a 5th year who gave him no respect at all. That said I liked him a lot and well remember the time he lent me 50p bus fare to compete against Saltly Grammar☺

I did ask my husband last night. He went in 1964 when the school was firmly established at Gressel Lane and called Central Grammar. He was there until 1971 and knew it began in Suffolk Street as The Central but had never heard it referred to as anything else.
Coincidentally I came across this medal a week or so ago and started making enquiries about it's origins on another forum.
2ijln4i.jpg

2v0nxqh.jpg

With lot's of help and diligent research the conclusion is that they are from Central Secondary School which was then based in Suffolk Street. The school then developed into Central Grammar. At the time of this medal the sports day was held at Elmdon Road, Selly Park.

M Benne My husband was there 1964 to 1971. He has a school photo of 1970 so you must be on it somewhere! He thought 'Zombie' taught biology. You were obviously both there at the same time. Do you remember any of these? Robert Woodford, Ian Jones, Bill Atkins, Gerald Anstis, John Twigg, any others you can recall? Think this had better become a "conversation".

Back