• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Central Grammar, International School Tile Cross

tbutlin

proper brummie kid
I attended a Grammar School for Boys in Bordesley Green from 1943 to 1945 --- Could it have been called Central Grammar School?
The headmaster was Sir Rodney M.S.Pasley Bart MA
Other teachers were Malcolm Loveridge, Henry Quiney, George Greatrex, Miss Whalley? Dr.Korn
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
[email protected]

Hello tbutlin: Welcome to BHF Here's a small write-up about Sir Rodney Pasley and confirms that he was the Headmaster of Central Grammar School in 1943

Sir Rodney Marshall Sabine Pasley, 4th Bt. was born on 22 February 1899.[SUP]1[/SUP] He is the son of Malcolm Sabine Pasley and Nona Marion Paine.[SUP]2[/SUP] He married Aldyth Werge Hamber, daughter of Major Lancelot Cecil Bray Hamber, on 7 April 1922.[SUP]1[/SUP] He died in 1982.[SUP]1[/SUP]
He graduated with a Sherborne and Univ College Oxford Master of Arts (M.A.).[SUP]1[/SUP] He was also known as 4th Baronet [U.K. Life Peer].[SUP]1[/SUP] He was 2nd Lieutenant Royal Artillery WW I, Headmaster Central Grammar School Birmingham in 1943.[SUP]1 [/SUP]

Hello tbutlin: Welcome to BHF Here's a small write-up about Sir Rodney Pasley and confirms that he was the Headmaster of Central Grammar School in 1943

Sir Rodney Marshall Sabine Pasley, 4th Bt. was born on 22 February 1899.[SUP]1[/SUP] He is the son of Malcolm Sabine Pasley and Nona Marion Paine.[SUP]2[/SUP] He married Aldyth Werge Hamber, daughter of Major Lancelot Cecil Bray Hamber, on 7 April 1922.[SUP]1[/SUP] He died in 1982.[SUP]1[/SUP]
He graduated with a Sherborne and Univ College Oxford Master of Arts (M.A.).[SUP]1[/SUP] He was also known as 4th Baronet [U.K. Life Peer].[SUP]1[/SUP] He was 2nd Lieutenant Royal Artillery WW I, Headmaster Central Grammar School Birmingham in 1943.[SUP]1 [/SUP]

Hello JennyAnn
Thanks very much info. Very useful.

How can I find out more about Central Grammar School please?

tbutlin

Hi tbutlin:
You can find some information about Central Grammar School on the Friends Reunited site at: friendreunited.co.uk. It's free to join. There is also a bit about the school
becoming part of the International School in later years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_School_(Birmingham). There is a short write up on the British History site about the school :

CENTRAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS, Suffolk Street (1897–c. 1939); Burbidge Rd. (c. 1944– 1955); Gressel Lane, Tile Cross (1957). Municipal Technical Day Sch. opened 1897 by Birm. C.B.C., for B only, in buildings described as 'nothing short of a technical palace'. Central Secondary Sch. at first formed part of the technical school but later became a separate sch. though shared same building until c. 1939. Reopened after or towards end of war in 'a former senior school' in Burbidge Rd. (ex. inf. M. of Ed.). Temporarily accommodated in Cherrywood Rd. Transferred 1957 to newly-built premises at Gressel Lane, Tile Cross. As late as 1919 it had a bias towards science and engineering. N.o.b. 1914: 284, 1937: 400 (ex inf. M. of Ed.), 1961: 565.(28) Fees £3 a year; by 1937 £12. In 1911 c. 84 per cent. pupils came from elementary schools, in 1937 'almost all'. Average leaving age 1910–13: 15½ yrs., 1953: 16–17 (ex inf. M. of Ed.)

The school with Sir Rodney Paisley as headmaster was Central Grammar School and the playground on one side was on Cherrywood road - that seemed to be regarded as the main entrance and when I was there (1956) was used by the first and second forms, 3rd Form and higher used a separate playground at the back of the school (Burbidge Road?) The paint factory was on the opposite side of Cherrywood Road. I read somehwere on this forum that a nearby factory built gliders for D-Day.

I remember the smell from the paint factory well!

Central Grammar School had the bent arm and hammer with the coronet as it's blazer badge but with no other writing etc. We were told that it had been adopted from the top of Birminghams own coat of arms[

Central Grammar had moved to these premise after leaving Suffolk Street but by the time I reached the third form moved again (1957?)to newly built premises in Gressel Lane (the building has recently been refurbished as part of what is now the International School)

By coincidence my older brother went to Bordesley Green "Tech" so I recognise that badge as well.

Regards

Sandy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and many thanks Sandy:
You are the third person to identify with Central Grammar School and 'my school'
But the first to remember the smelly paint factory.
Cherrywood road rings a faint bell in my 80-year-old head.
Do you recognise anything else from my description posted earlier please?
Best regards,
TedB

Hi TedB
Although only attending the gressel lane site 1966-1971 - many of your observations were still continued.
many still wore gowns, and 5th formers were the prefects, etc
Inkwells and latin had disapperared but the badge remained - mine went with the blazer long time ago!
Brian

Thank you Key Hill Brian:
Another corroboration of my weak memories --- much obliged for you taking the time.
This helps me very much --- I'm writing a fictional memoir and want to make sure I don't get too much "fiction" in it.
Birmingham was an important part of my young life.
Best regards,
TedB

Hate to butt in here, but I always remembered Central Grammer School as being in Belchers Lane Alum Rock, just up the road from what was the Pelham Arms and certainly remember playing rugby against them there on their extensive sports ground at the rear of the school.

I think you will find Saltley grammer was in Belchers Lane!
Central was in Gressel lane after Cherrywood Road.
It was between one part of St Wilfred Martineau and Byng Kendrick Girls.
Central & Byng merged just after I left - '72 after 5 years of straining at the fence!
Now called the International School.
Byng always had red blazers. Sir Wilfred had green piping on their black blazers
Brian

Hi KINS

Suggest you try writing what you remember about your school and the time you spent there.
I did this and several people responded with fab info.
Regards,
TedB

I was at Central Grammar 1952 to 1958 - approx!!!
I remember a 15 minuit walk to the swimming baths and a long ride on a bus to the playing fields next to the old QE hospital(handy when I broke my ankle playing rugby)
The local shop on the corner of Cherrywood Road where you could buy 1 fag. I remember a small pub up the road with the odd name of The Why Not Inn

Central is still around, Surely?
It joined up with Byng Kendrick Girls - the year after I had left!!!! and is now called the International School.

Started Sep '66, left as soon as I could to start work! Jul '71
Just did the basic 5 years, Had got bored with the place after the first 3, wished they could have done more to keep me interested now, but that's life!
Brian

Did you know a Steve Daniels? My brother went to Central Grammar but not sure when he left. My sister went to Byng Kenryck. I never did 11+ and went to Alderlea!

Re post #434. Sir Ronald Paisley was later on the head of the Central Grammar School which moved to Bordesley Green during WW2. I have seen references previously to Bordesley Green Grammar and Central Grammar, is it possible the schools merged and took the "Central" name.
With regard to the 'faculty', did George Greatrex teach art? If so he may have also transgferred to Central GS.
Central moved to Gressel Lane Tile Cross in September 1957

Re post #434. Sir Ronald Paisley was later on the head of the Central Grammar School which moved to Bordesley Green during WW2. I have seen references previously to Bordesley Green Grammar and Central Grammar, is it possible the schools merged and took the "Central" name.
With regard to the 'faculty', did George Greatrex teach art? If so he may have also transgferred to Central GS.
Central moved to Gressel Lane Tile Cross in September 1957

I was at Central from 1956, when it was in Cherrywood Road and can remember our art teacher as Greatorex (

I was in the 3rd year by the time we moved to Gressel Lane and spectacularly bad at art so didn't have much to do with him there.

For at least a couple of years I can remember him designing a paper knife which he sold to the boys - not sure whether this was for his own benefit or for school funds.

I remember that he once took us to the wasteland that overlooked Adderley Park Sidings and the view towards Brum Town Centre to do a paining, What I would give to have that chance now that I have learnt to paint quite well!

Best Regards

Clive Sanbrook

Central Grammar School. I think the only teacher I remember was Mr Phillips who taught Biology. Wasit Mr Paddock who was deputy head and taught Geography and who always wore a black gown.
Regards
David

I cannot but agree with Ted - Threads on any subject mainly exist because someone with an interest in the School [in this instance] has posted information or requested information.

Having spent five happy years at Central Grammar School, (1948-1953), I would like to add a few memories of my own to the above comments. Sir Rodney Pasley was the perfect headmaster, supported by an excellent staff, including Mr Merryman, (Music), Mr Paddock, (Maths), Mr Dixon, (German), Mr "Caggy" Carter (French), Mr "Pippy" May (French), Mr Greatrex (Art), Mr Evans (History), Mr Heslop (Maths), Mr Weightman (PE), Mr Faulkner (English) and Mr Reader (English).

In my form was Nicholas (later Nicol) Williamson who, despite an unpleasant demeanour, became a well known film star playing mostly "baddies" in a variety of films. Two other Old Boys who made their marks in later years were Sam Doble and Colin McFaddyen, members of England's Rugby Team.

Having spent five happy years at Central Grammar School, (1948-1953), I would like to add a few memories of my own to the above comments. Sir Rodney Pasley was the perfect headmaster, supported by an excellent staff, including Mr Merryman, (Music), Mr Paddock, (Maths), Mr Dixon, (German), Mr "Caggy" Carter (French), Mr "Pippy" May (French), Mr Greatrex (Art), Mr Evans (History), Mr Heslop (Maths), Mr Weightman (PE), Mr Faulkner (English) and Mr Reader (English).

In my form was Nicholas (later Nicol) Williamson who, despite an unpleasant demeanour, became a well known film star playing mostly "baddies" in a variety of films. Two other Old Boys who made their marks in later years were Sam Doble and Colin McFaddyen, members of England's Rugby Team.

Hi Bert,
I was at Central from 1966-1971 In Gressel lane, Tile Cross. Had Cag for French, Mr Evans for History (one of sons as also in our year), "Arnie" Faulkner was a delightful teacher - pleasure to have known him - he also told Ghost stories at the week long camp at Bryntail. 'Pip' May was Deputy Head and real old Character - never forgotten, though much taken the micky of! Mr Reader was just about there, and Messrs Weightman & Doble (Moseley & England) were sports masters. Sam Doble did not hold back when teaching Rugby, so it was a pleasure with about 15 other to tackle him and finally get him on the ground! Good times, wished I'd paid a little more attention, but started to get bored by end of 3rd term - downhill after that! Memories are all that are left - all my reports, and school mags were cleared out when my parents spring cleaned one year - such is life!
Brian

Further to my previous contribution re Central Grammar School, I started Wondering if any of my previous classmates had achieved fame, (or infamy), or fortune? Having for four years out of the five years that I attended there with the same classmates, (Stuart Elder and I skipped the second form and had to spend two years in the fifth), their surnames come readily to mind, but not all of the Christian names. They are Don Abbey, Terry Arkinstall, Albert Atkins, (me), Bob Butler, ?? Cook, Bob Cooley, John Downey Stuart Elder, Chris Fear, ?? Ferris, Bob Froggatt, ?? Gessey, ?? Goldingay, ?? Haddon, ?? Hill, "Soapy" Hudson, "Jamrag" Johnson, A.E. Lewis, M.J. Lewis, Stuart Linnell, ?? Marklow, "Mona" Mills, ?? Nicholson, "Pongo" Partlett, "Inky" Stephens, "Tats" Turton and "Tusker" Winwood. Three members of the same year (but not the same class), were the unholy trinity of Nicol Williamson, the celebrated actor, Roy Deeming and "Dicky" Bird. Perhaps we could arrange a reunion!

My husband, Paul, went to Central Grammar between 1964 and 1971. He remembers most of the staff names from #580 especially the PE staff. He has gone off the think about other staff he remembers from his time there.

Janice

Here are the names my husband remembers:
Ian Davidson (English), George Tustin and ?Gregory (Maths), Howard Carter, Pip May and ? Firth (French), J Roberts, B Hutton (both Geography), Trog Evans (History), Arnie Faulkner and Mick Doss (Physics), "Knocker" Harris (Biology), DRW (PE - initials from a report), T Sandland (Music), C G Thomas (known as Taffy - RE whose son was in my husband's year). Others include Karabis, and Headmasters Ockleton and Goodfellow (later Head of Moseley Grammar and then the comp).
Anyone know who the initials refer to? He also has a 1970 whole school photo.

Janice

Here are the names my husband remembers:
Ian Davidson (English), George Tustin and ?Gregory (Maths), Howard Carter, Pip May and ? Firth (French), J Roberts, B Hutton (both Geography), Trog Evans (History), Arnie Faulkner and Mick Doss (Physics), "Knocker" Harris (Biology), DRW (PE - initials from a report), T Sandland (Music), C G Thomas (known as Taffy - RE whose son was in my husband's year). Others include Karabis, and Headmasters Ockleton and Goodfellow (later Head of Moseley Grammar and then the comp).
Anyone know who the initials refer to? He also has a 1970 whole school photo.

Janice

I assume the DRW was Mr Weightman (cannot recall his Christian names) - he was PE with Sam Doble and played for Moseley & England
Sadly all my reports and school pics were dumped when my parents had a clear out & I wasn't too bothered about them at the time.
Brian 1966-1971

This school seems to have moved around from its original "central" position. Viv.
Central Grammar was also very early to adopt what we would now call an adventure centre.
From 1915 they had use of a cottage and out buildings at an old lead mine at Bryntail near Llanidloes. Parties of boys went at Easter and in the summer. Originated by Henri Guerra in 1915 and carried on by subsequent masters, notably Ernest (Arnie) Faulkner, the cottage reached its centenary in 2015 and a blue plaque was added to the building, which has been given a grade two listing.
Although not currently much used by Centrals successors, The International School, there has been a get together of former pupils and friends most years at the cottage and the Headmaster and two staff members (of what it now seems to be planned to call Tile Cross Accademy) are hoping to visit this years get together in June
Regards
Sandy Sanbrook

Very interesting Sandy - adventure centres offer so much to young people and can do a great job at building confidence. Pity it's not used so much now. May be something to do with schools being more cautious these days.

Thanks for the link Lyn. Shall be merging the information on that thread with the individual schools that are mentioned. Some very good information on it which might be of interest to members looking into particular schools. Viv.

Back