• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Central Fire Station Hq

An interesting example of a 1930s foundation stone. How was the red background achieved ? What material would have been used ? Viv.

While they didn't build a tower visible in the Old Fire Station, there is a student accommodation block going up behind it. Called Lancaster Gate. This is the view outside of the Aston University Library.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
I am writing a fiction novel that involves the old fire station, but I've got rather limited information on the inside of the building. Was hoping if somebody (ies) could help.
Many thanks
PJ

There are many threads here which refer to the Central Fire Station.
Do a search and you should find lots of information.
This is one of the larger ones.

Thanks Radiorails, I've already read that thread, Its information I already have like the Art Deco features, the Ballroom, wooden floors etc. Shame the pictures have been removed

(Edit. Please note there is a thread aboutBirmingham local fire stations here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-fire-stations.40800/page-3)

Edit. Unfortunately the images referred to below are no longer available.
Got permission to take pictures of this place today, thought it was necessary before it gets converted and lost forever.

***CAUTION***PIC HEAVY***

What a place, from the front, you are met with 11 Big Red Bay Doors which allowed the engines out to an emergency, the building was built in 1934 and the architecture is to die for.

A shame that in time, not so far in the future, the building will be knocked down, saving only the red doors and the clock tower which will be incorporated into a new mixed use building (but mostly student housing).

The fire station was decommissioned in December 2008 and moved down the road about 2 miles away to a brand new state-of-the-art building that can work well with current technologies.

West Midland Fire Service spent 12 months consulting with B'ham City Council for the best use of the building after they left.

The building still has a lot of character, even though most of the rooms are empty offices. On the top floor of the main building, there is something that you would not expect to see when looking at it from the outside (see pictures)

Many of the floors are wood laid, creaking as you walk on them. There are underground tunnels that were used for training and as with all fire stations, a training tower (locked :( )

This site was used not so long ago by the BBC for filming of the new series of Survivors.

For a bit more on the building, this is a good site to read...

https://expbirmingham.wordpress.com/2007/10/23/the-west-midlands-fire-service-hq/

Anyway, nuff babble, onto the images.

All the doors to the pole were locked, so I could only get a shot from the bottom, no ride in the fireman's pole for me:(:D

Fire Service Carpet :D

Through these doors was something I really wasn't expecting to see...

An old band photo...

Control Room...

Views from the tower, the clock was sealed away...

B.A. Storage area...

Tunnel training instructions..

Hi Hiiii

D-UK

(Edit. Please note there is a thread aboutBirmingham local fire stations here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-fire-stations.40800/page-3)

Edit. Unfortunately the images referred to below are no longer available.
Got permission to take pictures of this place today, thought it was necessary before it gets converted and lost forever.

***CAUTION***PIC HEAVY***

What a place, from the front, you are met with 11 Big Red Bay Doors which allowed the engines out to an emergency, the building was built in 1934 and the architecture is to die for.

A shame that in time, not so far in the future, the building will be knocked down, saving only the red doors and the clock tower which will be incorporated into a new mixed use building (but mostly student housing).

The fire station was decommissioned in December 2008 and moved down the road about 2 miles away to a brand new state-of-the-art building that can work well with current technologies.

West Midland Fire Service spent 12 months consulting with B'ham City Council for the best use of the building after they left.

The building still has a lot of character, even though most of the rooms are empty offices. On the top floor of the main building, there is something that you would not expect to see when looking at it from the outside (see pictures)

Many of the floors are wood laid, creaking as you walk on them. There are underground tunnels that were used for training and as with all fire stations, a training tower (locked :( )

This site was used not so long ago by the BBC for filming of the new series of Survivors.

For a bit more on the building, this is a good site to read...

https://expbirmingham.wordpress.com/2007/10/23/the-west-midlands-fire-service-hq/

Anyway, nuff babble, onto the images.

All the doors to the pole were locked, so I could only get a shot from the bottom, no ride in the fireman's pole for me:(:D

Fire Service Carpet :D

Through these doors was something I really wasn't expecting to see...

An old band photo...

Control Room...

Views from the tower, the clock was sealed away...

B.A. Storage area...

Tunnel training instructions..

Hi Hiiii

D-UK

Hi D-Uk,

I know this thread is very old, but I'm after some information on the inside of the old Fire Station Head-quarters. (I'm writing a fiction book that includes the building as part of the plot) I've got basic details like the ballroom and the art deco features but would just like to set a scene. Thanks PJ

hi folks did anyone happen to save the wonderful interior art deco photos that were posted on this thread by derelict uk....if so could you repost them please...i am sure i saved them but at the min cant locate them...will keep searching

thanks folks

lyn

hi folks did anyone happen to save the wonderful interior art deco photos that were posted on this thread by derelict uk....if so could you repost them please...i am sure i saved them but at the min cant locate them...will keep searching

thanks folks

lyn
i hope so.

Attachments

• old fire station doors.jpg
    old fire station doors.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 22
Lyn,
Thank you so much. It was me who was asking (or causing chaos!.) Really appreciate the help

no trouble...i am kicking myself as it looks like i did not save them but fingers crossed

lyn

That looks a bit like them, as I remember. I note that the site also has photos of Selly Oak hospital and the the 1970s library

Wow, Thank you all for you're help, everybody involved. I worked in Brum city centre many many years ago. One of the best times of my life and the people I met were always friendly. That's helped me big time, once again many thanks :D:D

Wow, Thank you all for you're help, everybody involved. I worked in Brum city centre many many years ago. One of the best times of my life and the people I met were always friendly. That's helped me big time, once again many thanks :D:D

always happy to help....well done mort

lyn

Good to see those photos again, thanks Morturn. However, I feel that there are more there than we originally saw posted, in which case that's a bonus indeed.

Second Officer A R Tozer, Birmingham Fire Brigade and Assustant Commissioner of the East Division of Rover Scouts inspecting Birmingham Scouts. This photo looks to me like it was taken at the Central Fire Station. Someone correct me if I’m wrong please. Viv.

2C3281BA-5F3A-49E1-BAAB-ADFE8C1B73A1.jpeg

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
It must be the Central Fire Station see a thread about the Tozer family .... :)

Re Post #321 - The location is Central Fire Station.
Attached is a picture from the late 1930s.
Roof Trussing ironwork matches exactly.
Central Postcard - Ceremonial Parade.jpg

As far as I know the white uniform wasn’t adopted. Viv.

06F8D667-240F-480F-9888-318997855CB1.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• 2699D490-27EC-4E0D-8FC5-4BC2BDF143D6.jpeg
    2699D490-27EC-4E0D-8FC5-4BC2BDF143D6.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 6
You may be interested to know that the first tv series of Line of Duty used the Central Fire Station’s engine house for several scenes. I recognised it instantly, having worked there in the late 1980s.

Derelict-UK: Thanks a lot for posting those amazing photos from the inside of the Main Fire Station at Lancaster Place. Like many of us on this forum we would have passed by this building many many many times and hadn't a clue what it was like inside unless we had some connection with someone who worked there. I didn't so it was absolutely fascinating to me to view the inside via your photos. The entrance and lift are very interesting plus the staircases. What's behind the big red doors is finally revealed. Then there is the pole....The amazing surprise of finding a fully sprung ballroom complete with stage...never knew about that. So it goes from photo to photo revealing all and satisfying a curiosity at least for me about the interior of the place. Thank's again Derelict-UK for these excellent photos.
I used to go into Fire HQ for meetings 2004-2007 I was always so in awe if the lovely marble floored entrance hall, think the staircases had brass handrails. The parquet floors were to die for and I think from memory there were memorials in the main hall entrance to fire personnel who lost their lives during the Blitz and at other times. It always made me feel very humbled to be a small part of this beautiful historic building. So sad more of the building couldn’t be re used to incorporate some of the historic features. Was it listed?

Ryman will be opening soon on Aston Street. Also noticed a place called Wok to Go (or Wok and Go) will open at unit 3.

2014 view before they removed the old shops and turned the fire station into student accommodation.

hi there was a gun shop in those shops what wasa there name please anyone know

Back