• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Central Fire Station Hq

As I've mentioned before, I signed the petition when I saw the link in post #96. Still no email received and my name is not there. I'll try again tomorrow with my other email address.
OM it is addressed from 10 downing st..mine was in junk mail :D:D:rolleyes:

Hi Otherhalf,
I had a rare look in Outlook Express and it has now come through, but when OE forwarded it to my GMail it was chucked into the Spam folder. I did previously sign a big petition at No 10 about medals for Bomber Command crews but I don't think anything has happened yet.
OM:)

hi folks..the list of signatures is now growing...we have 66 now:) please if you want to save our fire station click on the petition link and make a difference...and if you are in any doubt as to why it should be saved just go to post 1 and look at the pics that derilict uk has posted....

https://petitions.number10.gov.uk/museums/[/quote]

Last edited:
just another reminder...]hi folks..the list of signatures is now growing...we have 86 now:) please if you want to save our fire station click on the petition link below and make a difference...and if you are in any doubt as to why it should be saved just go to post 1 and look at the pics that derilict uk has posted....

https://petitions.number10.gov.uk/museums/[/quote][/quote]

hi all..just a reminder that there is still time to save our fire station...to add to the petition just click on the link on the previous post...:)

urgent reminder...hi folks..i am quite surprised that we only have 95 signatures on our petition to save this fire station and not much time to save it..if our voices are not heard in plenty there is a very good chance that it along with the splendid interior will be lost forever so please if you want to save our fire station click on the petition link below and make a difference...and if you are in any doubt as to why it should be saved just go to post 1 and look at the pics that derilict uk has posted....thank you

https://petitions.number10.gov.uk/museums/[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Last edited:
Astoness,

Heard the other day that the building has been sold to developers for 20 million & is to be developed to include a residential tower block of some disscription.Aston university it would appear did not get it. Has any one heard this!!!!

Tony

hi tony..i think it had been earmarked for such a development but that fell through some months ago....will try and ask in the right quarters if there is any firm updates and get back to you...

cheers

lyn

Lyn. Only just noticed this item, (dont know how I missed it), but have signed it. And on checking the list of names on the petition, I couldnt see yours. Have I had a blind moment again?, or what. Barry.

thanks bazz.. every signature counts although i do fear for the station....yes i am down on the list.....4th one from the top...

lyn

Hi Lynn I did sign before but nothing came through... thought it was because I'm in NZ all though did click 'xpat. Have tried again... and it worked!

Not many signatures this page has been running since July I only just found out about the petition

I'm suprised that they are'nt going to build a mosque on the site,big of them to leave the doors,still the grown ups at b'ham council know whats best who are we to even ask if it could be saved in its entirerity..............ooooooooooh the dammmmmmmmm cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek oooooooooooooof yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyou

For anyone who's interested the old central fire station in Lancaster Circus features in the new series of BBC1's Survivors tomorrow night (Jan 12th). Some filming was carried out there and
there is a particularly good shot of the art deco main staircase. Such a pity the building may be lost even though some areas have been listed.

thanks for tip off ian...i shall most certainly watch it with great interest..

lyn:)

I take pictures for a local music newspaper (like the NME but free) and they have asked me to do a column on our 'Lost City' of Birmingham, I started the issue off with the Central Fire station, I have included a link to the large file so you can all read through it. Please tell me what you think. I finished the column off with a link to the petition too :).

bcfsnpsml.jpg

https://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1065/bcfnp.jpg

Very good. I hope you will give us links to any future articles on old buildings
Mike

Thanks for showing us those super pictures of Central Fire Station.

It's amazing how many different Threads showed the old fire station, transport pictures in particular whether it be Buses, Trams, or even Brewery Wagon there was the Birmingham icon Central Fire Station.

I think there was a few red faces we Halfords Building burnt down the fire spent days damping down.

I dont know if it's true but the story I heard was a lady cleaner was walking past the Halfords Building that morning and went to the fire station to ask if somebody cuold have a look at the roller door at the far end of the building as smoke was coming out.

I believe fire went to the door saw the smoke lifted the roller door which allow air in and the fire shot up the lift shaft.

I remember on the end of Halfords Building was The National Cash Register Firm.

Well looks like good old Birmingham Council will do what Hilter couldn't sad aint it.

Ray

Lyn my cousin said he would keep me informed and the last time we spoke he said a lot of rumours were flying around and as soon as he heard something concrete he would be in touch. Will phone him again though. Jean.

Re; Central Fire Station.
I served at Central for just over two years in the early 60's and seeing the pictures brought back some great memories. I did my initial training there as did many others from other Midland Fire Services. The BA tunnels still sooty and the crawling racks still there. I climbed the tower on the outside on hook ladder many times. Shortsighted decisions taken in haste by local council. It can never be re-built so leave it alone and as previously suggested turn it into a museum.

Back