• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Central Fire Station Hq

hi there was a gun shop in those shops what wasa there name please anyone know
The Gun Shop was “Charles Smith,” in the early 1970’s I owned a 12 bore double barrel hammer gun. It was serial number 18, and was the 18th gun made by Mr Smith following completion of his apprenticeship. I left the gun with him to be overalled and reproofed. When I eventually collected the gun it was as new, with barrels re-blacked, stock and lock plate re polished. It was perfection, and an excellent example of the craftsmanship of the Birmingham gun trade. AC.

I worked at "Central" for a few years, when it was HQ, though some of my relatives worked and lived there when it was still a fire station. I started out delivering post around the building so I've been in and out of most rooms there, then worked in "Personnel", which was on the top floor at the front (one of the photos was the view from my window). The lift had a double opening mechanism, and it went down to the basement. I only have a handful of photos and they are from our final day in the building before moving to the new HQ. They’re also poor quality as I didn’t have a proper camera back then, sorry! I was really sad to leave this beautiful building, and I wish I'd taken more photos while I was there, but I thought these might be of interest to someone anyway.

Attachments

• DSC00168.JPG
    DSC00168.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00167.JPG
    DSC00167.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00165.JPG
    DSC00165.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00163.JPG
    DSC00163.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00162.JPG
    DSC00162.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00146.JPG
    DSC00146.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00144.JPG
    DSC00144.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    770.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00145.JPG
    DSC00145.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00170.JPG
    DSC00170.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00172.JPG
    DSC00172.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
hi ameesha and welcome..thanks for those great photos...i can only hope and pray that the wonderful art deco interior of that building has been retained..and dont beat yourself up about wishing you had taken more photos as most of us on here have said that many times..

lyn

The stairs are still there:

hi ameesha and welcome..thanks for those great photos...i can only hope and pray that the wonderful art deco interior of that building has been retained..and dont beat yourself up about wishing you had taken more photos as most of us on here have said that many times..

lyn
Thanks Lyn! I really hope they have retained the original features in that building. I heard from a student that the right-hand building is now very bland (though, granted, that side needed the most repairs). Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wish I’d photographed the bar and the ballroom where we held Christmas parties, and some of the unusual nooks and crannies. Did you work there?

Thanks Lyn! I really hope they have retained the original features in that building. I heard from a student that the right-hand building is now very bland (though, granted, that side needed the most repairs). Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wish I’d photographed the bar and the ballroom where we held Christmas parties, and some of the unusual nooks and crannies. Did you work there?
no amesha i did not work at the station but show a keen interest in its wonderful art deco interior...

lyn

Back