• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Centenary Square development 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remembrance service will probably be in Victoria Square again, or Colmore Row / St Philip's Cathedral grounds.

Town Hall and Hall of Memory are Grade I listed buildings.

yes maurice i agree....been pondering lately about things and i feel it is almost as if for many years the powers that be are ashamed of our city and and have no wish to save buildings that would certainly have been admired by the younger brummies and indeed tourists this is why i am so glad that i was born when i was because at least i have my memories and of course we have photographic evidence of the wonderful architecture that has been systematically raised to the ground and there is no doubt in my mind will continue to be the case

lyn
Are we ensuring that all the photos submitted by Ellbrown at al of this area, Metro work, Curzon Street etc are also being tagged with date, who has the copyright and location and maintained safely. Over the past two years a marvellous picture gallery has been submitted and admired. The reason I ask this is that as a postcard collector, I also get postcard backed photographs from the period 1903 - 1930, showing groups, buildings, accidents, floods, fetes, carnivals etc. All of them without location or date or event, sometimes you can easily identify the who, the what and the where, but more often the card remains a mystery. To a lesser extent we see it with scenic postcards, the date can only be hazarded at and the postmark date could be years out, like the date on the postcard subject of the latest theme. We appreciate history, but our photographers are recording history....sixty years hence a photo showing what we now find to be interesting or depressing will be part of history and subject to the question 'I wonder where that is and what the date it was taken was'. Our photographers may not know it but every picture they have taken is an historic artefact. In fact there is almost a book in the making within these electronic pages and proof of what I write lies in the mystery that was presented some time ago over the picture of the road and cottage with the multibarred telegraph poles.

Bob

Last edited:
Access around the Amphitheatre has been restored.

Also outside of the Library of Birmingham, noticed that they are doing the paving there, apart from outside of the entrance.

That's the Arena Central development. One the site of what used to be Central TV. HSBC UK recently opened at that new office block next to the Alpha Tower. Hyatt Hotel / Symphony Hall / The ICC, they opened in the early 1990s!

Centenary Square from the Discovery Terrace. Should have been finished by now. But more likely sometime in 2019?

Hall of Memory side.

Panoramic

Amphitheatre

The REP side.

Centenary Square from the Discovery Terrace. Should have been finished by now. But more likely sometime in 2019?

Hall of Memory side.

Panoramic

Amphitheatre

The REP side.

Ell great pics but what an absolute nonsense , where are we going with architecture nowadays . The only saving grace in my book is thank your lucky stars the floor is still underfoot

Christmas Eve update from the Hall of Memory end of Centenary Square. This end looks done, including around the Edward VII statue.

There is still the area in front of the REP to complete in 2019.

The Civic Centre of the late 2010s!

Christmas Eve update from the Hall of Memory end of Centenary Square. This end looks done, including around the Edward VII statue.

There is still the area in front of the REP to complete in 2019.

The Civic Centre of the late 2010s!

Ell is that a running track around the HoM

Used to be flowers where those war memorial stones and grass is now.

This was in 2009.

More recently in 2016 was like this.

Since they built that terrible library it has been nothing but a depressing bomb site. Is there an actual finish date when it will be finished, if so what is it ? mind you I doubt if I will still be around. Eric

A fallback in case they find they cannot afford to renovate the stadium at Perry Barr for the Games

I'm sure there was a more recent Birmingham Mail article than this one!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/centenary-square-open-its-huge-15207795

A spokesman said today: “The current date is summer 2019.

"Work on Centenary Square is progressing well, following the severe winter weather and complications caused by difficult pre-existing ground conditions.

"This important project – creating an attractive and vibrant public square for Birmingham – is being completed in phases.

"The reopening of the Hall of Memory on September 12 marked the first phase of the Centenary Square redevelopment to be handed over since work began last year.

"The final phase is expected to be completed in summer 2019.”

It's this one

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/call-huge-birmingham-city-centre-15537310

Costs for the revamp of Centenary Square have spiralled by £3.8m prompting a call for the 'vanity project' to be scrapped.

It comes as it was revealed a host of issues have held up the redevelopment ranging from the Metro extension to the Conservative Party Conference.

Today (Tuesday, December 11) the city council's cabinet approved the extra funding required with leader Ian Ward (Lab, Shard End) stressing that it was important that the scheme is finished.

But Cllr Jon Hunt (Lib Dem group leader, Perry Barr) disagreed and said: "I have been unhappy with this from the start.

"It is not going to achieve a great deal. It's primarily a vanity project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back