• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Still to be completed in 2020 is the foyer of Symphony Hall.

As it was yesterday afternoon from the end of Centenary Square onto Broad Street.

Final day of Ice Skate Birmingham was on Sunday 12th January 2020 in Centenary Square. Should get dismantled from today.

i would just like to thank ell brown for keeping us up to date about the metro lines and the ongoing new developments going on in the city centre...also letting us know about diversions and dead ends etc...the info must be very useful for those that need to go into town...thanks ell for also sharing your photos with us all

lyn

Ice Skate Birmingham closed on the 12th January 2020. Yesterday they were packing the parts of the Big Wheel onto the back of lorries.

But the ice rink wasn't dismantled yet.

Up the Library of Birmingham for a couple of views from the Discovery Terrace.

Back down to Library Tram Stop. For the first time since it opened, you can see the REP and Library since they finished the square last summer. Without the Big Wheel and Star Flyer ride of course.

They are still taking down parts of Ice Skate Birmingham. The ice rink has gone.

Almost back to normal.

Blocked off this way to the Library from the tram stop.

You have to head past the site where the Big Wheel was formerly.

Turn right past the Symphony Hall foyer refurb works which has new blue hoardings artwork. You can't go straight ahead on Broad Street unless you cross left to Bridge Street.

Big mobile crane outside of Symphony Hall and The ICC.

They are still taking down parts of Ice Skate Birmingham. The ice rink has gone.

Almost back to normal.

Blocked off this way to the Library from the tram stop.

You have to head past the site where the Big Wheel was formerly.

Turn right past the Symphony Hall foyer refurb works which has new blue hoardings artwork. You can't go straight ahead on Broad Street unless you cross left to Bridge Street.

Big mobile crane outside of Symphony Hall and The ICC.

thank you for keeping us inform'd and posting all the great pics:D

No problem. Hopefully it won't be too long before those fences go where Ice Skate Birmingham was. Assume they will finish whatever it is they are doing at the weekend.

Centenary Square is more or less back to normal now.

But there is still barriers around the Reflective Pool area.

The Foyer is coming along at Symphony Hall, and the fountains in the reflective pool have been turned back on.

Just the Library of Birmingham with the water jets in the reflective pool.

At the moment the pavement from Broad Street is closed and you have to walk towards the Hyatt then down to Library Tram Stop. Closed near Symphony Hall.

The Metro extension beyond Library Tram Stop on the start of Broad Street.

These photos are really lovely, thank you for keeping us informed of all the recent developments. I haven't been into Birmingham for a while now but when I do go it won't be such a shock with all the changes!
rosie.

Glad you like them. Don't usually go to town after dark. Although got in before the sun went down for an event. Yes it's changing a lot.

Roadworks, buildings going up all over the city centre. And other areas. But not as much.

have to say i do like the evening shots...its just in daylight everything seems so dull and drab :rolleyes:

lyn

It was quieter, less people around. Would guess it's busier on Friday and Saturday nights. But with Broad Street hoarded off all the way to Five Ways, wonder if it's still as busy as it used to be?

I agree with Lyn, a million times better at night, and very nice photos, Ell.
I would hate to run a business in the centre of Brum this last few years - it must be an absolute nightmare.

Maurice :cool:

I don't know, bet Greggs etc do a roaring trade with all the builders knocking about.

Was probably busier when Ice Skate Birmingham was on. Yes it looks better after dark. During the day / weekends / school holidays, you would find kids playing in the water jets.

Broad Street will be closed off until next year sometime I think.

I was in Broad Street this morning for the first time in a few years and was surprised to see Symphony Hall with the frontage missing. A quick search on the forum brought me to this thread which I had not been following. Thanks Ellbrown for the information that there is to be a new foyer for Symphony Hall, I had missed that. Yes I had thought all along that the entrance to Symphony Hall in a semi obscure part of the main mall of the ICC was not very good.

No problem David. From 1991 until now, I think the only way into Symphony Hall was via the ICC Mall, or for VIP's over the bridge from the Hyatt.

Until it's finished we wont see Boulton, Watt & Murdoch back.

And when I was last on Broad Street, hoardings near Symphony Hall for the Metro extension as well, means you have to cross over the road near Regency Wharf / Hyatt and can only cross back into Centenary Square at Library Tram Stop (probably said that before / last week).

ellbrown. Thank you so much for the wonderful photos, I'm able to follow the progress of the work in town from the comfort of my armchair.

Glad you like them. Technically the square was finished last summer.

Other than what they started at Symphony Hall which is another project.

And there is some old 1991 paving / bricks between The ICC and REP towards Cambridge Street that hasn't been changed.

This was in December 2019.

This morning's view. The pool has been drained, I'm assuming it will stay that way until the current virus crisis passes. I won't be going into work for a while now as I am all set up to work from home. I wonder what will have changed by the time I go back?

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_115152_104.jpg
    IMG_20200324_115152_104.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back