• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Centenary NARPO plate?

Jollyun

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
My Dad was a Police Officer for many years in the Birmingham police force. He served in the early days at the Bloomsbury St. premises and then at Steelhouse Lane. I am sorry to learn it's now closed down. I remember visiting Steelhouse Lane as a boy with Dad and as we entered the rest area it was full of acrid smoke from the toast on fire :laughing:.
I joined because I just noticed the commemorative NARPO 75 years plate (1919-1994) on my wall, my Dad left me, was 25years old so was there a centenary one I wondered...….maybe someone might know.

You might find this thread of interest::

Looking at the NARPO site.

To celebrate our 100 year anniversary we have created a limited edition range of NARPO centenary merchandise.

The NARPO branded clothing range is now also available with the embroidered centenary logo. This range includes men and women’s polo shirts, hoodies and jumpers. These can be purchased online via our supplier, Stitch and Print.

I tend to think that Commemorative Plates 'had their day'. I've got one from a course I attended, but that was many decades ago. Do you want to disclose your Father's name? Someone might remember him. I've spotted a few possible ex-colleagues on here. Albeit not persons that I was necessarily acquainted with but, whom I knew by name/reputation.

Yes of course he was Gerald (Gerry) Winder born about 1919 died about 2000.
I went along to Steelhouse Lane to see about following Dad into the force. I got interviewed took a short test and was certain I would join up ..........until I told my Dad and he said "don't be an idiot"........so I became an accountant instead :joy:

Hello
I didn't realise NARPO dated back from 1919, I hope the members will commemorate this with an event. I am currently writing (with my colleague) a book on the police strike of 1919 which resulted in the birth of the federation which also therefore celebrate its centenary this year. I am interested in any information on the strikers should any members out there be able to add anything to what is on the internet.

Steve R

Back