• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CENSUS LOOK UP PLEASE

pjmburns

master brummie
There is a cobblers cottage about 10 doors up that actually was a working shoe repairer, theres also a Westfield Cottage too that I noticed. I get what you are saying though that were not sure whether these are the original names of the cottages or just ones that people have made up
Would not be 10 doors up but 1939 reg has a boot maker and repairer at no 86.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure about then, but it certainly would not be just a labourer now, as it would be an important job to maintain the track so that there wer eno accidents

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if this is of any interest, but it looks like in 1880 a large plot of land was sold in Station road containing two semi detached properties, totalling about 670 yards. does this mean yards or square yards. If yards, then it is a major part of that side of the street. I think it must have meant sq. yards, as otherwise it would have been huge.
Birm gazette 23.10.1880.jpg

Looking at the maps below, it looks like no 80 was originally one building together with no 78, though with a lot of alteratiions

map c 1963 station road knowle  showing no 80.jpg

staion road knowle c 1904 showing no 80.jpg

map c1887 station road knowle, showing where it seems no 80 was.jpg

changinman1

master brummie
Not sure about then, but it certainly would not be just a labourer now, as it would be an important job to maintain the track so that there wer eno accidents
Hi wow yes id say its a pretty important job keeping the tracks in good condition . Thanks for the response.

changinman1

master brummie
I don't know if this is of any interest, but it looks like in 1880 a large plot of land was sold in Station road containing two semi detached properties, totalling about 670 yards. does this mean yards or square yards. If yards, then it is a major part of that side of the street. I think it must have meant sq. yards, as otherwise it would have been huge.
View attachment 148519

Looking at the maps below, it looks like no 80 was originally one building together with no 78, though with a lot of alteratiions

View attachment 148523

View attachment 148525

View attachment 148524
Hi ...the plans definitely look different but I cant see how it was one house because the adjoining house to the one that im buying has an entry in between mine and theirs so why would you build an entry for access to both gardens if it was one house ......but you might have a point and the houses to the left on the plan which run up to the junction of the next road are of a different style to mine .

changinman1

master brummie
Hi thanks ....well now there is a plaque with Briar cottage on it , lots of them in my row have names .
Iv since removed the briar cottage sign as the lady who lives next door to me used to live here and said that she put the sign up when she lived here only 10 years ago, so briar cottage was not its original name hmmmm

pjmburns

master brummie
Still think your best bet will be electoral rolls at Solihull library when things are back running properly.
Or try contacting Knowle History Society.

changinman1

master brummie
Hi ...the plans definitely look different but I cant see how it was one house because the adjoining house to the one that im buying has an entry in between mine and theirs so why would you build an entry for access to both gardens if it was one house ......but you might have a point and the houses to the left on the plan which run up to the junction of the next road are of a different style to mine , so basically you think that no 80 (my house) was once bigger ?

changinman1

master brummie
Still think your best bet will be electoral rolls at Solihull library when things are back running properly.
Or try contacting Knowle History Society.
ive asked for access to view pics from knowle society , therye bound to have photos of the road and also with a church dead opposite someone is bound to have photos with my house in the background