• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CENSUS LOOK UP PLEASE

changinman1

master brummie
Hi ive just bought a house in Knowle and its victorian and I am curious to see who has lived in it since the mid 1800s, its no 80, Station Road , Knowle B930HJ . It may be listed as solihull or warwickshire certainly wouldnt have been west midlands. If anyone could look this up for me as far as it can id be real grateful. Thanks

suemalings

master brummie
On the 1881 census, Station Road is listed as Solihull.

Unfortunately there are no house numbers but these do change anyway, so what may be number 80 on the census most probably is not number 80 now. Also there are a lot of House Names Ivy Cottage, Priory Cottage, Clifton Cottage, Oak Cottage. Also a Priory Place off Station Road.

What info. are you looking for on your family names? Let us know what you already have and perhaps we might be able to find something for you.

pjmburns

master brummie
If we know the names of nearby places in relation to number 80 then, if any names are historic we might be able to work out who was in your house from the census.
Looking on google street view shows your house opposite the church.

pjmburns

master brummie
When it was built I doubt the houses had numbers. However, I can't tell if "Briar Cottage" is a modern name or it's original name. Knowing the names of nearby houses (neighbours?) might help to see if w can pinpoint your house. Will try to look later.

pjmburns

master brummie
Thanks. What we need is either a map with names ( I can't find one online at present although I think there might be some at Solihull library) or to be able to definitely link a name to a number and work from that.

pjmburns

master brummie
This is a puzzle as even on 1911 census the houses seem to be listed without numbers or names. Just several pages of "Station Road" and then an occupiers name. The later names might be found from the electoral roll which is not online but is at Solihull library.

changinman1

master brummie
This is strange, so you think the electoral roll might tell me who lived there , what year did that come into play I wonder in terms of availability to public to view

pjmburns

master brummie
Early e rolls might not help as only certain categories of people had a vote. It is only 20th century where you might strike lucky but searching at Solihull library is time consuming as last time I went the e rolls were on micro film.
I suspect if you want to trace your house start around WW2 and work back. No idea if they show housenames/numbers or not. The local archivist might know.
The problem is not a lot of Solihull archives are online.

Last edited:

changinman1

master brummie
When it was built I doubt the houses had numbers. However, I can't tell if "Briar Cottage" is a modern name or it's original name. Knowing the names of nearby houses (neighbours?) might help to see if w can pinpoint your house. Will try to look later.
There is a cobblers cottage about 10 doors up that actually was a working shoe repairer, theres also a Westfield Cottage too that I noticed. I get what you are saying though that were not sure whether these are the original names of the cottages or just ones that people have made up

MWS

master brummie
This is a puzzle as even on 1911 census the houses seem to be listed without numbers or names. Just several pages of "Station Road" and then an occupiers name. The later names might be found from the electoral roll which is not online but is at Solihull library.

The 1939 register has Emily (b1893) & William (b1899) Wheeler at 80 Station Road, Knowle.

They are also seem to be there in 1911. Probably brother & sister, children of George & Matilda.

Emily died in 1975 & William in 1978, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were there until then or close to.

Last edited:

changinman1

master brummie
The 1939 register has Emily (b1893) & William (b1899) Wheeler at 80 Station Road, Knowle.

They are also seem to be there in 1911. Probably brother & sister, children of George & Matilda.

Emily died in 1975 & William in 1978, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were there until then or close to.
I had this come through from my solicitor yesterday and this is referring to access rights probably to a side entrance shared with a neighbour , looks like it was I 1963 ....so yes this ties William wheeler to the property as well as your find , so it looks like the wheelers were there until the 70,s or 80,s , were they brother and sister or a married couple ?1601035615852.png

Attachments

• 1601035616532.png
    1601035616532.png
    519.7 KB · Views: 0